What would you say are the top causes for the driver shortage?

Somewhere along the way the HOS limits became the template for a typical workday. Even for local drivers, I can't think of any other job where you show up for work everyday hoping to go home after 8-10hrs but knowing full well you could be expected to work a full 14 if told to. Having the hours available doesn't mean you HAVE to make me work them.

People have looked at me cross-eyed after hearing the hours I work when making small talk. Normal people can't fathom working 14hrs/day 60-70hrs/wk.

I agree in part with Lazlo, but, because with the so called shortage, the HOS aren't going away. I think another problem is that most Parents today preach College to their kids. Also, as Lazlo says, when speaking with NORMAL PEOPLE, they are not willing to work 14 hrs., 60-70 hrs./wk. or sit by the phone, be laid off when the economy slows, work on a freezing cold or sweltering hot dock, drive around cities with an 18 wheeler making p/u's and deliveries, or run Linehaul in snow, fog, rain, sleet and construction all night. Also jumping through all the D.O.T. hoops, road test written tests pay for finger printing to haul haz-mat, E-logs, etc. This is before the pay and benefits package is dicussed. I think we are seeing what the Industry feels is a band-aid for the problem for now. Drivers from Eastern Europe, good work ethic, from the Sub-continent, good work ethic, Middle East, good work ethic. Maybe not the best Drivers, but willing to, Do The Job. Just my 2 cents. :smilie93C_peelout:

Somewhere along the way the HOS limits became the template for a typical workday. Even for local drivers, I can't think of any other job where you show up for work everyday hoping to go home after 8-10hrs but knowing full well you could be expected to work a full 14 if told to. Having the hours available doesn't mean you HAVE to make me work them.

People have looked at me cross-eyed after hearing the hours I work when making small talk. Normal people can't fathom working 14hrs/day 60-70hrs/wk.
Man, that's the truth!!

If it's gonna be the template, I wanna see an 8hr driving, 10 hr on duty MAX

I will say it again, there is NOT a driver shortage. Just because a company has 50 empty trucks doesn't mean there's a shortage. That company has too many trucks. The good companies never have to advertise to keep the seats filled. Why is that? Answer that question and you will solve your "shortage" problem.

Guardrail

It's really very simple. People don't wanna live, work, and sleep at their job, for what amounts to a 40hr paycheck. (except foreigners)

There isn't a driver shortage at good jobs..just sayin

Just because a company has 50 empty trucks doesn't mean there's a shortage. That company has too many trucks.

And if that company paid better, and treated their greatest asset (the drivers) better those trucks would not be empty.

Instead of calling it a driver shortage, let's call it what it is, a driver enticement and retention problem.

Here's the solution.

1. Pay for experience. I'm not going to drive for you at .36 a mile when I have over 20 years behind the wheel.

2. Get the drivers involved with equipment selection. We know what makes our job easier to do. Don't buy a truck and then complain that I idle too much because you didn't want to buy a AUX AC unit. I'm not going to sleep in a 100° truck to save you money and meet some unrealistic idle goal.

3. Hire competent dispatch personnel. I can't drive your 64 mph truck 983 miles in 8 hours. I don't want to hear about so and so does it all the time. Set realistic goals and I'll meet or exceed them. Set unrealistic goals and I'll disappoint you every time.

4. Keep your equipment fixed. I don't make any money in the shop.

5. My time is worth something. If I am sitting because of no fault of my own, pay me.

6. Stop running your company by spread sheet. Get out from behind your desk, leave the yes men behind and mingle with the folks that do the work. You might be surprised at what you learn.

Guardrail

the reason why is because not enough muffin breaks....

when i work for a company, that does not allow me muffin breaks, i up and quit, therefore that former employer has one less driver...

now, if there are not enough pumkin pie breaks...

then all hell breaks loose and i go postal.......

does that answer your question..???

does it for me.....

Not sure about OTR since i havent done that since 1981. I would probably say lack of a real home time policy. No matter what the milage pay is i wouldnt go OTR again. As far as LTL,
well i have friends that work for ALL of the carriers in my area. My carrier cant find anyone, Holland is not getting anyone. They thought that some OTR boys would come over to Holland and run the road. At least they would be home weekends and stay in a motel at nite but no one in this area is applying. Friday i spoke to a friend at FXF and they cant get any one decent to apply.
My take on this... LTL is WORK, not a JOB. I look at today's Generation.. they want a job, they dont want to work. They are Weak and dont have a Bust ass 12 hour a day ethic any more

Instead of calling it a driver shortage, let's call it what it is, a driver enticement and retention problem.

Here's the solution.

1. Pay for experience. I'm not going to drive for you at .36 a mile when I have over 20 years behind the wheel.

2. Get the drivers involved with equipment selection. We know what makes our job easier to do. Don't buy a truck and then complain that I idle too much because you didn't want to buy a AUX AC unit. I'm not going to sleep in a 100° truck to save you money and meet some unrealistic idle goal.

3. Hire competent dispatch personnel. I can't drive your 64 mph truck 983 miles in 8 hours. I don't want to hear about so and so does it all the time. Set realistic goals and I'll meet or exceed them. Set unrealistic goals and I'll disappoint you every time.

4. Keep your equipment fixed. I don't make any money in the shop.

5. My time is worth something. If I am sitting because of no fault of my own, pay me.

6. Stop running your company by spread sheet. Get out from behind your desk, leave the yes men behind and mingle with the folks that do the work. You might be surprised at what you learn.

Guardrail

ILoveThisPost_zpsac7fcc9d.jpg

If I was still driving I would send this to the manager at SPD.

Even though they are a decent carrier, they still have a long ways to go to actually meet the criteria you point out here. Thank you Guardrail for this very well written post!

When my company went to e-logs they adopted the attitude, "If the computer says your legal you drive"...doesn't matter what time of day or how many days in a row...your legal you drive...so I bailed after 27 years in the industry...

When my company went to e-logs they adopted the attitude, "If the computer says your legal you drive"...doesn't matter what time of day or how many days in a row...your legal you drive...so I bailed after 27 years in the industry...

well "nearly" the same thing with an LTL carrier i was with, when we first went to the 11 hour driving rule.

most of our runs were done in about 9 hours, maybe even less for some bids..

ok, so i had asked if we will keep the same hours..."oh sure" said central dispatch........

then came the "extra runs" we had to do each night. not too many guys wanted or liked the extra hours.