What you need to know about Wilbur Ross and the Paradise Papers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Magoo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

:sleeping:

2. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

I read the article. I see that even the Washington Posts' fact-checking site, as late as 2014, was reporting that no uranium was shipped to Russia. Apparently there was a regulatory change allowing shipment to go to Canada, and then allow the Canadian government to make that call as far as shipping yellowcake uranium to Europe, and then Russia.

I'll have to agree with you that it looks like a rather tortuous way to get around an export license and still comply with law.......

But,...the original agreement was started over talks to get a crumbling Russian nuclear system that couldn't insure security of older warheads,.....to ship those warheads to America for proper disposal,.....instead of letting rogue criminals take advantage of extremely lax security, and stealing those warheads. We got weapons-grade nuclear material to dispose of properly,....and in exchange,...they got unprocessed yellowcake uranium as the raw material to run their nuclear power plants. The international community,...including all of our NATO allies,...approved of that deal.

But,....most conservative media outlets make it seem like Mrs. Clinton smuggled weapons-grade uranium in her overnight luggage into Russia. The "driving force" of the ....deal.....seems always to get lost in the heated hyperbole of people trying so score political points.

Why is it that most people get exercised over an exchange of nuclear material designed to make the world safer from criminal nuclear destruction,..........yet yawn and dismiss provable Russian interference in our society and attempts to hijack our elective system?

Magoo likes this.
  3. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

To me the exchange of nuclear material around the world is concerning but I do not know all the ins and outs of nuclear material and what every grade and form of it can be used for.
    I see it as karma, what goes around comes around. The US meddles in politics worldwide and now they want to cry when they get their own dose? I say, "suck it up and move on, if you don't want to get burnt don't play with fire".

4. canaryinthemine

Then we’re right back setting up Shah Mohammed Reza Pavlah right after WWII in a coup de’ etat in order to set up foreign oil production in Iran, instead of letting them nationalize their oil fields.

See what happened when they got angry enough to depose the U.S. backed Shah?We got the Ayatollah Khomeini..........and hostages.....

No one likes a foreign entity meddling in their internal affairs. And it doesn’t make it O.K. that the CIA has been doing this for decades. The KGB has been doing it for decades, too......among other gov’t entities....

Surely we’re not supposed to roll over and take it?

Magoo likes this.
  5. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

No, we should take steps to prevent it but I need someone to explain to me how the Ruskies posting ads and garbage on Facebook is a crime. Now if they had hacked into our voting system and changed the results that would be another thing.

6. canaryinthemine

Well......the social efficacy of those......millions.....of dollars of ads are hard to quantify. We see several posters on here using memes that were probably Russian sponsored. Obviously, they believe....or at least....promote, .....what the Russians were selling.....

The elections in our country are decided by whomever grabs the most attention by throwing the most amount of.....dirt ....on their opponent.......Not by facts. So the argument can be made that social opinion matters more than actual facts in our elections. Mr. Trump’s own flip-flopping on his highly charged rhetoric during the primary and the election.........and his current positions now are visible evidence of how politicians will say and promise.....anything.....regardless of facts......to get elected. How many times did Mr. Trump assert that Mr. Obama was foreign-born, without any proof?

So it’s kind of hard to exactly quantify the impact of something based on feelings as opposed to facts. But,.....those “feelings” about politicians.......historically......have always mattered more than facts.

If our electorate is swayed by feelings instead of facts,....then efforts should be made to make it more transparent who is ......paying....to promote those feelings,........and whether there would be an advantage to the....promotee.......to sponsor chaos and false facts in our elections.....

Magoo likes this.
  7. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

And the masters in advertising/ promotion know that they can tap into peoples long held belief's and bias as a easy way to sway them to their position. Trump right off the bat attacked the Mexicans and South Americans that are in the country. He knew what the winning formula was revolting as it is.

canaryinthemine likes this.
  8. 20_yrs_2_go

20_yrs_2_go Well-Known Member

Don't bother the right with specific details. Obviously 2 grand jury interviews would never think of asking Hillary about her connection with Russia because we all know they were all DEMOCRATS on those panels

It's up to the rw media to convict her on subjects like that

Magoo and canaryinthemine like this.
  9. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/11/prin-com.htm?title=

Proletarians/
    Bourgeoisie

Marx's 1848 Manifesto on Communism was totally written about Class Envy.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 7:20 PM
  10. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

But the Obama administration had no scandals. It's true, just ask Magoo.
    None whatsoever.

11. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

The majority of all US Elections since 1789, the 1917 Russian Revolution, the 1776 French Revolution, and most wars, are/were started or decided by feelings instead of facts.....

12. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

There sure was screaming when Iraq had yellowcake....

13. Magoo

Don"t eat the yellow cake!

14. canaryinthemine

Faux News Shepard de-bunks all of Uranium One charges yesterday.

Infuriates viewers by spelling out exactly what Uranium One was, and the fact that Mrs. Clinton had nothing to do with it.

He recommends Conservatives move on and forget trying to charge Mrs. Clinton for “trumped up” charges.

Mr. Sessions seems to agree,.....saying he can’t create Independent Counsel unless he had facts to base it on, in Senate testimony yesterday.

All this was reported on Faux News yesterday. Don’t know if I should believe it........

Magoo likes this.
  15. Magoo

Double bad news for the Trump supporters.