Whataboutism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by icuicp, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

So you like your politicians to be crooked. We get that. But the rest of us don't.

2. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

But you voted in a NYC flim flam man.
    What the Hell were you thinking?

Most people in the city grew up listing to guys like him pushing bull :shit: stories.
    They don't fall for that

3. Northern Flash

Actually, we voted for anyone but Hillary. It just so happens that we got lucky and our other option is doing one hell of a good job.
    :1036316054:

SAC75 likes this.
  4. pilot87

pilot87 Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hysterical:

5. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Echo Chamber - An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.

Active social media users are self-segregated and polarized in news consumption.

Google and Facebook are trying automated solutions to prevent the spread of fake news via social media. However, coming up with good solutions will be challenging, because the larger underlying problem is that social media allows users to self-segregate. Existing social-media algorithms feed users news sources that they have previously shown interest in. Over time, this narrows the news sources of Facebook users and tends to expose them to information that reinforces their own perspectives. So they become increasingly polarized.

Since we’ve become so attached to social media, we are less and less required to interact with people who disagree with us. Technology allows us to reach across state lines (and even oceans) to find people who share our beliefs and values. Until social media designers can address the fact that these platforms allow the increasing polarization of users into small, tight-knit communities, stopping the proliferation of misinformation will continue to be a challenge.

pilot87 likes this.
  6. pilot87

I don't need names, Bubba74..... I made my comment only because some on here always mock such statements...... It's nothing more than some "game" played out by Left and Right media articles.....

Eventually truth will be known.... The only choice will be to accept it, or not....

When people buy into a certain belief that their preferred political party or philosophy can do no wrong, it makes it more difficult to recognize what the truth of a matter actually is....

If you didn't like someone else doing that, why do you then advocate Trump doing the same thing then?...... The only way to reach the truth is through an investigation into all leads and details....and cooperation by all involved... Now does it happen that way??. Not usually...... If you truly believe that Trump isn't guilty of anything and is honest in everything he's done so far.....why would you suggest he block and otherwise stonewall the investigation?... You should welcome it...and encourage cooperation so his believed innocence can be established sooner rather than later...... Nothing says "guilty" more than trying to obstruct and even fire those doing the investigating.....

icuicp likes this.
  7. pilot87

Yes, he has money, power etc.... Often people with money and power want more..... Trump has an over sized ego and a desire for adoration.... He hasn't stepped away from his interests.....

He isn't there to serve my interests nor yours... He is there to serve his interests and those like him.....

They actually do serve.....just not us, the common citizens..... We just get the "lip service"..... Trump is no different.... Maybe even worse..... If it gives you " hope or comfort" for better times to exercise faith in Trump....then so be it.... I just don't share that hope or faith as you seem to, in Trump....or any other politician or party...

8. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

if you don't agree you don't agree. It's that simple. Echo chamber and whataboutisms are just words being used to explain how an opinion you don't like is wrong. It doesn't matter what side your on.

Facebook and google are just trying to censer free speech. That's an absolute.

Northern Flash likes this.
  9. pilot87

Sounds like this forum, with very few exceptions....

10. pilot87

Seriously???... Go back and reread it again.... If that is what you conclude, then you have some comprehension issues.....

Please please call me a "cry baby" as your response..... Lol.....

11. pilot87

If its true you don't like "crooked politicians".... Then why do you continue to "vote" for politicians?... Let me remind you, voting for the "lesser of two evils" still means you're voting for "evil".... .... Please tell me you're not naïve enough to think that Trump isn't a "crooked" politician..... Or are you?

12. pilot87

So their innocence can be established....if Trump was innocent he should welcome an investigation, no matter how intense or in depth...... A guilty person tries to obstruct.... So why would you advise Trump to behave as if he's guilty??.......... Did you actually put any thought into that post??. Apparently not...

13. pilot87

And if that is something you didn't like....then why advocate that the Republicans do the something that you claim was so wrong?... See, and you say Democrats have no principals..... So where are yours?

14. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Whataboutism - noun [ U ] /wɒt.əˈbaʊ.tɪ.zəm/ /wɑːˈt̬əˈbaʊ.tɪ.zəm/ also whataboutery, /wɒt.əˈbaʊ.tər.i/ /wɑːˈt̬əˈbaʊ.tər.i/ disapproving
    the practice of answering a criticism or difficult question by attacking someone with a similar criticism or question directed at them, typically starting with the words "What about?":

He's the kind of person who responds to an attempt to protect women from domestic violence with whataboutery: "What about male victims of domestic violence?"

Every word has an origin somewhere but I can't take the blame for this. It's in the dictionary. And been around for at least twenty years or more.

pilot87 likes this.
  15. pilot87

Ohhh ..."someone"from the Trump legal team says.....lol. So it must be true then... Trump says so..... Of course they are going to say that....do you think they're so stupid as to admit obstructing an investigation?.... You or Trump might be.....but not his legal team......

16. pilot87

Don't expect him to understand any of your post....... You'll just be disappointed if you do..... Lol

17. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

Yes, seriously crybaby! I know what the words mean idiot. I'm referring to how you dummies on the left seem to think it only works their direction. Therefore my explanation. Apparently YOU have comprehension problems!!!

See where I said,"words being USED to explain" in the paragraph below.

Echo chamber and whataboutisms are just words being used to explainhow an opinion you don't like is wrong.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  18. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Billy Graham Center Director: Blind Support of Trump Is ‘21st Century Idolatry’

Ed Stetzer, the Billy Graham Distinguished Chair of Church, Mission, and Evangelism at Wheaton College and the Executive Director of the Billy Graham Center writing in Christianity Today argues that President Trump gave an inadequately strong condemnation of recent neo-Nazi violence in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"I’d like to ask one additional question: why are a subset of (often evangelical) Christians unable to see when President Trump has stumbled and feel they must defend everything he does—even after he obviously saw his error and sought to fix it...?"

Redirection, Stetzer says, is excusing the president by arguing that the people caused the violence in Charlottesville.

“Rather than acknowledge that President Trump made a mistake in his response (and unnecessarily divided the country), some Christians acted like third-grade children by saying ‘Look, somebody else started it,'" he argues. "This argument denies the validity of the evil that caused the events in Charlottesville, and distracts us from healthily critiquing our President’s actions.”

- MRCtv.org , link in title

19. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's called an opinion. So what?

20. Northern Flash

That has an easy answer to it. The left decided that they are going to cry over every word Trump says and everything that he does, therefore, to counter that, we've decided to defend Trump from your constant crying.

This is a perfect example of the left crying about every single issue. Trump was spot on with his assessment in Charlottesville,.........all sides were responsible for the violence. It's just that your side is too cowardly to admit that BLM and Antifa hold responsibility also.

The real third graders are the ones crying over spilled milk.

SAC75 likes this.