Estes | Whats going on with Xtra Board drivers having to trade twin screws for sleepers ?

Henry

TB Lurker
Credits
Ive heard that xtra board drivers are turn in twin screw daycabs (even newer ones) for sleepers. Is the company going to make them sleep in the trucks to save $$$$$$ on motels ? If so, what about scrubing your rearend ? (not the ones on the truck either). Will the trucks be set to idle ? You know winter weather is coming. I find it funny we just had to sign some paperwork on getting your rest, how can you when you have to sleep 5 days a week ? They think theres a problem now with drivers not getting the proper rest, just wait.

Not heard about losing our daycabs yet at 028. We don't even have any sleepers here except for those passing thru. I would probably consider trading in my 1.13 million mile truck for a newer sleeper with only 400,000 on it. I would miss those nicer motels but am sure a bunkroom would be available whenever I get nostalgic for the good old days. Also think I could talk them into reimbursing me for 2 or 3 showers a week. Guess we will see.

I would love to have a sleeper on extra board . I had one for a couple of years until it was taken out of service , I carried all of my chow and spent maybe 20$ on the road. Not sure about cost savings over motels but I would rather sleep where I know its ok rather than risk bed bugs. You know some of the roach heaps we use are infected if nice hotels are having problems.

It would be nice for drivers that have to drive 30 miles to find a vacant motel on ball game day or just having a place to laydown when it's bench time between terminals. I'd bet my paycheck it would cut down some of the accidents and aggravation.

The Williamsport terminal motel is notorious for being full. This summer there was a national pool tourney near there + after 3 tries I finally found a room way down In Shamokin Dam at least 1/2 hour away. That part of the country always has.something happening. A sleeper would be handy going there.

I had a loaner sleeper from Denver one trip and it sure helped out in LaMarida Ca. I went to a far corner in the yard and passed out. No rooms anywhere on a sat night. Same thing in Cedar City Ut I spent 2 hours trying to get a room wishing I had a sleeper.

They are pretty much giving sleepers to those who want them at my barn. Nearly if not all xtra borders have sleeper units. They are walking around the yard like John Wayne, can't tell them nuth'n. lol. Those sleepers are easier on the body and alot more stable under heavy loads.

Speaking for myself, I would readily give up my scheduled run and go to the extra board, IF, I could get a sleeper, AND it would idle. I am one of those that can sleep like a baby in a truck. Much more restful than a bunkhouse and I can smoke, too.

Everyone tells me their sleepers idle continuous. I wouldn't care if they put me in a sleeper instead of a motel. Just keep filling my wallet. I'll buy a motel room if I feel like using one.

The supply of used pre epa 2007 day cabs is rapidly drying up. Sleepers are in abundant supply and can be had cheaper than day cabs. This, coupled with an aging fleet, especially city tractors, is why we're seeing the sleepers.

Being a former Xtra board driver here yrs ago,I could only wish for a sleeper back then ,The amount of crap we have to take with us out all week,Just didnt fit in those small day cabs,and if ya ran the Northeast and got a road shutdown ,Wellllll let me say it wasnt fun either....