What's good pay?

A nice 8 hr linehaul sounds decent to me. Still make over 65k a year and have a homelife still. My dad use to have a 8 hr meet and turn and was making around or over 65k

A nice 8 hr linehaul sounds decent to me. Still make over 65k a year and have a homelife still. My dad use to have a 8 hr meet and turn and was making around or over 65k

You have to have strap most places to get that kinda run.All the extra crap you have to do and can get in trouble for, the juice isn't really worth the squeeze.

good money in trucking is almost gone, what goes for a good job for a driver (60-70k) is about what good union factory jobs used to pay 20 years ago, and we are EXPECTED to put in 70 hours a week for it. unfortunately, trucking pays better than most current jobs because of the ours available, therefore you have a LONG line of people willing to do your job, take your job, and do it all for LESS.....

anything under 30 an hour isnt good money anymore. i know a guy whos dad retired from Eazor Express, and was making almost 50 k a year in the late 70's, doing p&d work. just a guess, but adjusted for inflation, what would that be, 80, 90k a year? who makes that, a handful of linehaul guys.maybe some carhaulers?

want to make "good" money? get a time machine, and go back 20 years, you know, where our wages are stuck at!!!

yep, im getting pretty sick of the kissers in trucking that want to talk up 20 an hour, with no retirement and expensive benefits. im 30, my family was making this money at GM 20 years ago...

yep, im getting pretty sick of the kissers in trucking that want to talk up 20 an hour, with no retirement and expensive benefits. im 30, my family was making this money at GM 20 years ago...
It doesn't help that all this talk of $10.10 an hour is some how being passed off as a livable wage. And even with the sign-on bonuses of varying amounts that some outfits offer, their wages still suck, and in most cases have been the same for years.

yep, its a slap in the face! and these foodservice companies are aggresively taking things backwards, with productivity based pay. they sell it like you can meet their numbers, and then as soon as the guys bite on it, bam, back to reality, its a pay cut!!!!

yep, its a slap in the face! and these foodservice companies are aggresively taking things backwards, with productivity based pay. they sell it like you can meet their numbers, and then as soon as the guys bite on it, bam, back to reality, its a pay cut!!!!

Its happening here Bill, thank the Lord we are union and they can't touch the hourly pay!! I shudder to think of what they would hand us if we were non-union. All our new guys that were hired at top rate got bumped down to starting wage, thats wrong! The contract rates are minimum rates, they were right to hire guys at top, and raise the other guys up, who wants to throw food for 17.51 an hour?

Our contract says that once a guy is paid at a higher rate he shall not be subject to reduction, seems cut and dry right? Not to them, we had to file on it!

We hired these guys at top to get them to come on board, we have already lost 2 men, good men over this, if you shake a mans hand and say welcome aboard here is your pay rate, they don't dream they will be bumped down 3 bucks an hour, I'll keep you posted on the outcome, I think its gonna cost Sysco some money!

This has turned into a interesting thread. I make more money driving a truck then alot of people I know with a college degree. When I was in school teachers and everyone preached going to college if you want a decent life. But yet more then half of these college grads can't even get jobs in the field they went to college for. Yeah we might not be millionaires but making 70k a year still isn't to bad. Now if I can just make that again I'll be happy. Also the pay for some of these college degrees is only 15 a hr to start and top out a little over 20. So it just isnt trucking wages that arent going up. Its everyone's wages arent going up.

GT when sysco bought out Apperts they raised the top pay to 21 a hr. Starting pay was 16.50 I believe. I would never want to throw groceries for that.

Its happening here Bill, thank the Lord we are union and they can't touch the hourly pay!! I shudder to think of what they would hand us if we were non-union. All our new guys that were hired at top rate got bumped down to starting wage, thats wrong! The contract rates are minimum rates, they were right to hire guys at top, and raise the other guys up, who wants to throw food for 17.51 an hour?

Our contract says that once a guy is paid at a higher rate he shall not be subject to reduction, seems cut and dry right? Not to them, we had to file on it!

We hired these guys at top to get them to come on board, we have already lost 2 men, good men over this, if you shake a mans hand and say welcome aboard here is your pay rate, they don't dream they will be bumped down 3 bucks an hour, I'll keep you posted on the outcome, I think its gonna cost Sysco some money!
The old bait and switch routine with a man's pay? If that doesn't tell you something about the company nothing will.

This has turned into a interesting thread. I make more money driving a truck then alot of people I know with a college degree. When I was in school teachers and everyone preached going to college if you want a decent life. But yet more then half of these college grads can't even get jobs in the field they went to college for. Yeah we might not be millionaires but making 70k a year still isn't to bad. Now if I can just make that again I'll be happy. Also the pay for some of these college degrees is only 15 a hr to start and top out a little over 20. So it just isnt trucking wages that arent going up. Its everyone's wages arent going up.

GT when sysco bought out Apperts they raised the top pay to 21 a hr. Starting pay was 16.50 I believe. I would never want to throw groceries for that.

i get what you are saying about it not being bad, but those same people are the ones climbing over each other to do our job for less. alot of people got duped into the college thing, and its biting everyone in the ass.

i get what you are saying about it not being bad, but those same people are the ones climbing over each other to do our job for less. alot of people got duped into the college thing, and its biting everyone in the ass.

Absolutely nothing wrong with college. I'm in my last year and looking into going to law school and taking on some debt, though it will be minimal.

I was doing it while running night linehaul at con-way for nearly 3 years.

The thing about life is always being flexible and not getting comfy in whatever job field you are in. Alot of guys are upset when freight lanes have to be restructured and their time they put in waiting on that gravy run has disappeared. But the company made no promises that in 20 years, the gravy day line run(as an example) that every line driver wishes for will be there. Nothing in nature stays the same.
Expect the best and prepare for the worst is how I see it. Become a jack of all trades and constantly try to improve yourself. And like the Smith System key says, Leave Yourself an Out.

My plan is to go to law School, if at some point I get laid off, I have a skill, I have my CDL, I can do plumbing, I can work on cars. I know a little bit of everything.

But alot of drivers get jaded with mid $20/hr pay and think they hit the holy grail of income. Far from it. And they get comfy. And I am not defending companies, but they have people to answer to as well. Shareholders, which usually boils right back down to us blue collar workers who have 401k's and what not. We all want our retirement accounts to increase in value, so we can live our sunset years comfortably. Well those same plans are invested in corporations like the ones you and I work for. So to be profitable, companies have to be flexible as well and control costs to generate profits and to be able to survive. It's a vicious cycle.

So it all boils down to having a Plan B, Plan C and a Plan D.

I hope it doesn't go through as well, 55% market share is to much I would think, I hope the FTC shoots it down!!
55%? Sysco and US Foods are running around tell everyone that the combined company will only have 25-28% of the market. If it is 55%, they are going to have a hard time convincing the FTC to let the deal be approved.