ABF | What's happening in Baltimore?

canaryinthemine

Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!
Credits
Anyone out there know what's going on in the Baltimore terminal? We are a NDXP,...and lately the Baltimore UE runs have been run by linehaul. Rumor has it that Baltimore has cancelled all the UE bids. Supposed to be heavy Labor unrest there. Something has been going on for the last two weeks, ...so it's not just a momentary thing. Anyone on here can enlighten us?

Anyone out there know what's going on in the Baltimore terminal? We are a NDXP,...and lately the Baltimore UE runs have been run by linehaul. Rumor has it that Baltimore has cancelled all the UE bids. Supposed to be heavy Labor unrest there. Something has been going on for the last two weeks, ...so it's not just a momentary thing. Anyone on here can enlighten us?
management asked the city drivers at 042 fri before we left if we wanted to go to Baltimore to work for a "couple of days". from what I understand they are that backed up that their UE runs were cancelled and those drivers are running the city. that's why linehaul is doing those ue runs for now. its got to be pretty bad for them to ask drivers from other terminals to help out. that's all I know at this time besides that Baltimore cant get anyone hired there.

management asked the city drivers at 042 fri before we left if we wanted to go to Baltimore to work for a "couple of days". from what I understand they are that backed up that their UE runs were cancelled and those drivers are running the city. that's why linehaul is doing those ue runs for now. its got to be pretty bad for them to ask drivers from other terminals to help out. that's all I know at this time besides that Baltimore cant get anyone hired there.

Saw this on another board. Check out 24 paid days.
OLDF Benefits
Team pay now 68.53 cpm - just had a 2.2 cpm raise.
Delay pay $7.50/hour each, breakdown pay - not sure, I think about $3.75/hour.

Also added our birthday as a paid holiday - making 7 paid holidays, and 3 weeks vacation pay after 5 years service, and 2 all purpose days.

Vacation/ holidays - total of 24 days paid out at 9 hours a day at $33/hour - $7,128 in paid time off annually.

Never should have created UE. Seems this is the way it should be. .Just my opinion only.. Don't mess with Job classifications in first place, alot of things that were good in linehaul world were lost due to UE.

Never should have created UE. Seems this is the way it should be. .Just my opinion only.. Don't mess with Job classifications in first place, alot of things that were good in linehaul world were lost due to UE.

That is why, now retired, Jerry Vanatta from 050 went from the road to the city during the change of operations about 5 years ago. Was top dog on the city until retirement. He said best think he ever did. Worked less, was not a slave to the phone, & 10 hours a week of OT was all he ever wanted. I forgot. He went to UE for about 5 months until the city bid came up he wanted, & slid right in. Back then a lot of argument if he would be on the city or road board. Turned out the IBT said city & the rest is history.

Its not just Baltimore that cant get drivers....

So how do you move 1 and 2 day freight going through the breaks? This service is about 60% of ABF's business these days! So let's go back to the old way, pick up a shipment in New Jersey going to Boston but going to Carlisle to get handled again makes sense to me. Not!

Backed up as far as the eye can see. running shifts 7 days a week to catch up. New guys quiting as fast as they hire on. New dock hands make it an interesting day with misloads, shortages, damages, freight turned sideways, long heavy freight in the nose. Oh, and the old, it"s in such and such bay, give or take a few bays and thats if it"s even marked with a pro. company gets what it pays for.