What's Sysco's Accident Policy?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
What's Sysco's Accident Policy?

One of our new drivers came over from Sysco and he said that there performance policy is pretty high infact it's so high Sysco Cleveland's old hands are considered guys with 6 months of experience said just about anything there can get you fired.

Today one of our trucks was in a dock getting loaded and Sysco bumped into it and broke the back of the mirror off does that guy get fired for that?

I'm sure it vary's from terminal to terminal and probably depends some on who you are, just curious though.

If the cones were not out he could get fired if been there less than 3 months. Don't worry after July 1st going to be alot of drivers looking for jobs. Sysco going for 1 time and done going to be alot of fired drivers and lost business cause of no drivers. This is anything to do with electronic devices even if you have a Bluetooth around your neck and not using it your are still terminated.

Two wheeler,
We have a driver who came over from Sysco Cleveland and he was there for a couple years he was telling me about the camera policy there and it's totally over the line and I don't know how Sysco thinks there going to even stay in business there policy is so outrageous your going to have a bunch of guys out there driving scared.

You know sometimes I think there's a time and place for some forgiveness and sometimes stuffs going to happen no matter what you do. A company like Sysco though is beyond learning for bad decisions and totalitarian practices. Management at a company like that will never learn they can't be taught anything.

You know what though all those policies are only going to cost Sysco money there cost of hire is going to go up to many new guys will make customers mad.

There's a real small time food service distributor out of Columbus, Ohio that mostly focuses on pizza places there small, but customers use them and the reason customers use them is because they don't have to deal with a different driver and sales rep every week, a lot of there customers said the reason we use this small potatoes company is because they have the same sales people and drivers all the time.

Last Thursday a Sysco truck backed into one of our trucks at a back haul. He damaged the mirror that was about it. Obviously every Sysco warehouse is a little different, but I don't know if a mistake like that is worth getting fired over. Now I'm sure Sysco while they have there policies they also have there favorites and there will sweep that under the rug, every company does.

Me personally I would rather work for a small potatoes food company that maybe it doesn't pay as well, but at least it doesn't have crazy rules like that. Not that small companies are always great sometimes they can be just as bad in other area's if not worse, but working under those conditions I'd think I'd pass. Not that where I work is very forgiving, knock on wood, but yeah Sysco has gotten crazy over the years.

Are you looking for a new place to work or just holding out as long as you can?

Mike, it's arrogance plain and simple. Around 2011/2012 corporate started taking a more active role in local operations. Stupid policies (even our supervisors here privately agree it's stupid) like the "one and done" coming in July are the result. They think they're big enough that customers won't leave, and think the money they pays enough to keep replacement drivers coming in. It's gonna bite them. They can't get applicants as is, even by throwing around bonus money.
6 months gets you a long way here. Our turnover in KC's so bad that there's a guy who's been here since Feb or Mar that's about halfway up the list already. New drivers get on their own, get frustrated by the workload/hours/lack of support, start getting frustrated then one morning a supervisor "wants to talk" about something dumb like a low scan % and they blow up and quit.
And yeah, that mirror could cost him the job. Here you get 3 in rolling 12 months unless it's something serious, OR if you've had one accident and didn't set out cones before #2 OR are in 90 day probation period then they fire you. Net result of that is some guys on the bubble roll the dice and don't report the accident if there weren't witnesses. I know of a couple more who've handled it under the table and paid for it themselves
If you don't get fired it still costs us our safety bonus for 90 days. Paid weekly, 1.5 cents mile/case.

Lazlo, wouldn't Sysco be getting absolutely financially murdered in the cost per hire department. I mean all the money and time it takes to hire a new guy and then they just quit and the company has to start all over again and then all the operational trouble on top of that. If I was a supervisor there I would be ready to scream and be pulling my hair out. I would also be a little fearful...

Either that or you take the attitude of were just gambling here and will see how long we can last before they get rid of me or I quit one or the other.

There's a cost to hiring but:
1) They're never vested in their 401k
2) They're quitting before they earn vacation, sick, holiday pay
3) They're quitting before they get hurt
4) They only know what they have now, no grudges against the company for benefits lost
I've become convinced they don't want us here 20 yrs. We get expensive, especially #3. It's in their interest to get us out the door before some of these long term injuries start popping up.
The supervisors do pull their hair out here. Constantly trying to keep track of all of the new drivers, the other day they weren't watching and realized at 2pm one of them was only at his 3rd stop (only about 250cs into the day). Then they have to deal with guys like me refusing to help because 1) They should've been watching better or been out there themselves and 2) I didn't train the guy, busted my butt to get 16 stops off/get home at a reasonable time, and am not interested in helping someone who isn't motivated or capable enough to do the job. Not my problem.
Never had anyone do anything stupid here yet. We have had people leave, wait a couple hours, then bring their trucks back though. If I were a supervisor I'd probably rather be punched than have that happen, if everything's covered @5:30 they take volunteers to go home. If a guy brings his truck back or goes down to the lot then comes back up and quits after that there's no one but the sups to cover.
Your last sentence hits it on the head.

I can say that our opco invests about 5k in a new hire all the test, back ground body scans to see if any broken bones there is alot. We are down alot of drivers to either won't cause of the crap or can not pass drug test. Laszlo is right I refuse to help someone else after a 16 stops 1k cases cause if I need help I am a seasoned driver no one will come help. Sysco thinks they are paying top dollar not the case anymore.

5K is a lot to put into a person and not get much if anything out of them. Holy Toledo does Sysco need a culture change.
This what I told who knows if true but they do alot of tests on us in the hiring process. Sysco is changing use to have to have 2 years driving experience now we got guys straight out of school.

I bet it's true those tests and all that it's not cheap I bet they do spend $5K per new hire and then get really crap out of them,I tell you that's not good, to bad too, that companies feel them must operate this way.