SAIA | What's the law on bolt sealing trailers with Hazmat onboard.

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
Some of these terminals( HST) will bolt seal a trailer, even with Hazmat onboard, before a holiday. I don't know where the law stands on this subject, but I don't like dragging a trailer with a bolt seal on it and I'm guessing that DOT probably doesn't like it either. Help.

Law says that if a trailer is bolt sealed, whether it has hazmat or not, driver is responsible for carrying appropriate tools to get into the trailer (bolt cutters). When I worked at Saia, before I dispatched, I would contact the dock or central, and have the bolt seal removed, and use my padlocks. That way I wouldn't run the risk of not having bolt cutters.

I cannot find where the dot laws say you have to carry bolt cutters if trailer is bolt sealed. Can you produce the regulation?

Common sense folks...let's say you get to a scale, and they want to check your load. How are you going to get into the trailer? Or, if you are involved in an accident, and there is "some sort of liquid" leaking from the trailer. How are you, or the hazmat team, going to get into the trailer? Bolt seals are common because unfortunately, drivers get lazy and don't want to padlock them. Contact your safety department if you question me. It's your license, and your responsibility.

All export ocean containers must have bolt seals on them and most imported ones also have them for security reasons. Seen trucks pull into the piers and they will bolt seal them. Rail boxes use them for security while they travel on the trains so they don't get broken into sitting in the yards. Some companies use steel cable seals also instead of bolts. Been in DOT inspections in the north east and the DOT never complained about the on the containers

Buck please post this law if you know where it is published. I've never heard of such a law I worked for the fire department for 20 years if the law wants in a trailer bad enough they can have someone there in a matter of minutes to cut the seal and btw the scales and dot officers DO have bolt cutters . If bolt seals were illegal they would not make them .

It's just another made up super trucker law normally spread around by bull haulers and owner oprerators, oh, and bored LTL divers that have run out of legitimate things to whine about while sitting together at the round table waiting on loads that they'll complain about being too heavy.......

As a professional driver, and former Saia employee familiar with Saia and DOT rules and regulations, I have done my homework on this. If you have a problem with my stance, you do the homework and the legwork. My advice: contact your regional safety supervisor and ask for a ruling. The guy from DLS is a good resource.

We're just asking you to share. Please produce the law. None of us can find it. I've only been doing this 32 years though. If it's not a law just admit it.

Okay, just talked to safety. He was like "Huh??" I said, yeah, it's what I heard. He asked if I heard it at the round table, I said of course not, the Internet. He asked Facebook? I said no. He looked relieved. Then I told him I heard it from and ex female Saia driver that is using a masculine persona on a trucking message board.

I'm on the way for a drug test now......

Okay, just talked to safety. He was like "Huh??" I said, yeah, it's what I heard. He asked if I heard it at the round table, I said of course not, the Internet. He asked Facebook? I said no. He looked relieved. Then I told him I heard it from and ex female Saia driver that is using a masculine persona on a trucking message board.

I'm on the way for a drug test now......
Now that's some funny ::shit::!!!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and MachOne, good luck on your test. Everyone have a Happy New Year and, if you are working tonight, be safe. See you in 2016.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and MachOne, good luck on your test. Everyone have a Happy New Year and, if you are working tonight, be safe. See you in 2016.