Yellow | What's up Kansas City?

I raised my kids well. They are the generation in the 30's now. They both have good jobs and Excellent family values... Thanks to their mother... Definitely not me... I wasn't home most of the time.
I don't think it's a generation thing I think it's parental. One or two. Doesn't matter.
It all comes down to parenting and taking the damn phone away when needed. It's a privilege... Not a right. Just like driving. It's a privilege.
Sad thing is everyone is so sensitive to raising a voice or hand to a child. Which is complete BS. I came out fine. And my father used a Barber strap and was paddled at school. But they didn't treat ADD in any other way. Now they treat it with pills. Not a paddle... Hehe.
All my dad had to do was put his hands towards his belt buckle, and little BRG followed instructions real well ....

Here is what's going on, they started routing around K.C about a week ago. The glass house has told our local that they are tired of K.C and Indy being constantly behind. They are routing to other terminals and they are loading directs. The company isn't trying to hide it either, they have came out and said it. We have 228 people working on the city/dock side with no layoffs. They are about 60 people short on dock/city side to get a 300 man board and can't find no one to hire. They have to hire 50 people just to get 10-15 that will stay. About a third of seniority list has 2-3yrs or less and most of them had to be trained to get their cdl by the company trainer they hired a couple years ago. Between the city drivers, hostlers and OB stackers that hold bids it only leaves about 90-100 checkers to strip freight for a 24/7 breakbulk operations. If you want to work 7 punches a week you can and it's been like that for several years. We don't have enough people for the amount of freight that comes thru here. We don't have enough city drivers also for the pickup's and delivery. Short handed all around and that includes the roadside. We know they have routed freight into Omaha and St Louis. We were 1500 bills behind Monday and by Thursday they were asking for CC on dock by mid day. This morning they had around 800 on hand and only 400 bills coming by 4pm. Rumor has it they want to make St Louis a mini break to push freight thru when Kc, Chicago, Indy, and Nashville get behind.

Great response, I was just concerned Kansas City was getting the shaft. I know if I was the bottom guy sitting at home because the company was diverting freight I would be hot. I thought KC might want to know about it. I've seen them build directs in the past but not intentionally reroute freight the way they have done this last week.

Because this generation doesn't want to work and they don't want to work on a Friday thru Tuesday midnite dock on the bottom of list. In today's time alot of kids have been handed everything and don't want to put their time in, they want it NOW. Like I said out of 50 hired they are lucky to get 10 to stay.
They paid us a little better to put up with the crappy hours. There is no way I would start with this company today with the pay scale the way it is. I don't mind working nights and weekends if they make it worth our while.

That would be your opinion and your opinion only, there was nothing dishonest done or intended. I only used the part of your post that was relevant. If it's so dishonest you should contact site administration and tell them to disable the feature that makes it so easy.
Ignore triplex he drank to muck company kook aid . He would work for 10 dollars an hour if the company ask him to.

Here is what's going on, they started routing around K.C about a week ago. The glass house has told our local that they are tired of K.C and Indy being constantly behind. They are routing to other terminals and they are loading directs. The company isn't trying to hide it either, they have came out and said it. We have 228 people working on the city/dock side with no layoffs. They are about 60 people short on dock/city side to get a 300 man board and can't find no one to hire. They have to hire 50 people just to get 10-15 that will stay. About a third of seniority list has 2-3yrs or less and most of them had to be trained to get their cdl by the company trainer they hired a couple years ago. Between the city drivers, hostlers and OB stackers that hold bids it only leaves about 90-100 checkers to strip freight for a 24/7 breakbulk operations. If you want to work 7 punches a week you can and it's been like that for several years. We don't have enough people for the amount of freight that comes thru here. We don't have enough city drivers also for the pickup's and delivery. Short handed all around and that includes the roadside. We know they have routed freight into Omaha and St Louis. We were 1500 bills behind Monday and by Thursday they were asking for CC on dock by mid day. This morning they had around 800 on hand and only 400 bills coming by 4pm. Rumor has it they want to make St Louis a mini break to push freight thru when Kc, Chicago, Indy, and Nashville get behind.
Sounds about right !!!

Ah.... Me too! Thought the same way. 30 years old and a family. Happy to have a good job. Came in everytime the phone rang!
Course I came out of the west TX oilfields and a 8 hour day was nothing.
Out there when you went on a job 12 hours minimum..... Shhhessh...8 hours anytime and 12 bucks an hour.. Hell yes. 8 hours was easy!
It's that 'happy to have a good job' part is why you can't attract guys. We started when the pay was good- even at the casual rate. Today, others will hire kids and give them full time dock jobs for better pay than YRCW casuals.

Because this generation doesn't want to work and they don't want to work on a Friday thru Tuesday midnite dock on the bottom of list. In today's time alot of kids have been handed everything and don't want to put their time in, they want it NOW. Like I said out of 50 hired they are lucky to get 10 to stay.
I 'm retired for 7 over years now but I still think about the guys that are still working at my old terminal . I stay in touch with a few of the old timers that are still on the job . I gotta to tell ya it ain't what it was when I worker for the at Yellow . Who wants to work for a place that pays less than a nonunion job only pays 25% into your pension and on top of it they treat the drivers and dock men like crap ? Looks like Welsh and his little hippy side kick have plenty of money when it comes to them . Apparently the 10 that stay are willing to accept it and the other 40 are looking for something better . Like the old saying if ya don't like it move on and that's whats happening at YRC . I don't think this generation don't want to work I think they would work if Yellow /Roadway were the same as they once were . The ones that are hanging on are basically working for the medical benefits . ABF don't have that problem .

Last edited:
I 'm retired for 7 over years now but I still think about the guys that are still working at my old terminal . I stay in touch with a few of the old timers that are still on the job . I gotta to tell ya it ain't what it was when I worker for the at Yellow . Who wants to work for a place that pays less than a nonunion job only pays 25% into your pension and on top of it they treat the drivers and dock men like crap ? Looks like Welsh and his little hippy side kick have plenty of money when it comes to them . Apparently the 10 that stay are willing to accept it and the other 40 are looking for something better . Like the old saying if ya don't like it move on and that's whats happening at YRC . I don't think this generation don't want to work I think they would work if Yellow /Roadway were the same as they once were . The ones that are hanging on are basically working for the medical benefits . ABF don't have that problem .
Your right, if it was the same as it once was they wouldn't have this problem. We have lost several mid senior guys to ABF. The ones they are hiring now at YRC in KC are maybe mid 20's to 30yrs old. Alot just want the hourly pay. Most don't look at Central States health care and how good it is. I paid a $1000 deductible and the rest was paid by Central States ( about $175,000 so far). If I didn't have the vacation, sickdays, and insurance I would consider ABF. Been there 18yrs and it's still an easy job. You can't let the stupid crap they do bug you, can't tell them how to manage, they are going to do what their going to do unfortunately. Maybe one day they will see they need to raise the pay to get experienced people back. As far as the pension with Central States we are more than likely getting cut. It doesn't matter if they pay 100%,50%, or 10% it's underfunded. I believe that starts in July. Hopefully they come up with a better rescue plan.

You better believe it. Same with me when I was between seniority jobs and worked casual. Sometimes worked P&D during the day for one outfit and ran a road trip for someone else that night. Jumped and took work whenever the phone rang for sure.
So when you gained seniority you can't exercise by taken a sweet bid a organize on ramp sleep route to make up for lost sleep.

The way things are today, it's not so much that younger folks don't wanna work. They see the hourly rate because that's what puts food on the table and a roof over the head. They don't look at the healthcare and they don't wanna wait by the phone. And honestly? With how the regulations have changed over the years, it's impossible to wait for the call and get enough sleep to actually be able to function.

Because it's always 15-20 minutes after you've given up and fallen asleep that the phone rings. Like lighting a smoke at the bus stop.

The way things are today, it's not so much that younger folks don't wanna work. They see the hourly rate because that's what puts food on the table and a roof over the head. They don't look at the healthcare and they don't wanna wait by the phone. And honestly? With how the regulations have changed over the years, it's impossible to wait for the call and get enough sleep to actually be able to function.

Because it's always 15-20 minutes after you've given up and fallen asleep that the phone rings. Like lighting a smoke at the bus stop.
That's why you see more union carriers on ramps sleep. Get to nearest terminal shut down holler fatigued and get paid 8 he mini. Too make it worth your while for coming to work.

That first sentence gives much insight into the new hire position. How many of them will survive for over 7 years on their pension?

all our Kansas City freight is getting rerouted to surrounding terminals. Something going on there?
What's going on in KC is a scary thing. What there doing should require a change of operations. I think the new Conway management is just doing whatever they want. They are trying to see what they can get away with. They are blaming it on low production by dock and yard guys but in reality its inexperienced supervisors.

What's going on in KC is a scary thing. What there doing should require a change of operations. I think the new Conway management is just doing whatever they want. They are trying to see what they can get away with. They are blaming it on low production by dock and yard guys but in reality its inexperienced supervisors.
25-30 inbound came in from midnite to 8am today. We usually get 50-70 in that time period. You can tell for the last 2 weeks going into the weekend they are routing more freight around us.