Yellow | Whats Up With This

jeb

TB Lurker
Credits
:realmad: 5-6 years ago we had 17 or 18 bids and 5-6 office people,now we have 8 bids and 5 office people.We went from about 200+ outbound bills a nite to under 80. Inbound has went from 200+ on mondays to about 130-140 and avg. around 60-90 the rest of the week.Tm says everything he bids on pricing in KC tells him no.Holland,Roadway,ABF all are doing fine no layoffs.Conway just ran an add in the paper last Sunday and fxf lot looks like a car lot.I've been with yellow 10.5 years and really like the job and the customers we service.I just don't know what to think,and all the TM and OP's super think about is how to keep everyone in the office working.It's this numbers game and they do anything they can to get them as close as they can. What is all the crap about superior value to the customer .Just venting but I was wondering if this goes on at other terminals. Thanks for any replies.

Jarhead13 said:
Holland laid-off 130 (road drivers)system wide last friday. 6 in Indy. Frt. is slow for ereryone.

Well, maybe right today it is. We just passed an End of the month/End of the quarter/ End of the Fiscal Year for many. This is a new month. So it will drop some compared to that. With the price of gasoline dropping, and the Dow hitting new records daily-- it'll pick up again. Whether or not it does for us or the Non-Unions, I can't predict. But it will for someone, for sure.....

My bet on the layoffs, is YRC Global is watching their dividends. There was near panic a couple quarters ago when YRC lowered it's expectations. And then we still made a lot of money-- just not nearly what they'd predicted. Other LTL companies are going thru that same thing now.

We just hired on the Yellow Indy dock for the first time in over a year a month ago.

jimmy g said:
Well, maybe right today it is. We just passed an End of the month/End of the quarter/ End of the Fiscal Year for many. This is a new month. So it will drop some compared to that. With the price of gasoline dropping, and the Dow hitting new records daily-- it'll pick up again. Whether or not it does for us or the Non-Unions, I can't predict. But it will for someone, for sure.....

My bet on the layoffs, is YRC Global is watching their dividends. There was near panic a couple quarters ago when YRC lowered it's expectations. And then we still made a lot of money-- just not nearly what they'd predicted. Other LTL companies are going thru that same thing now.

We just hired on the Yellow Indy dock for the first time in over a year a month ago.

You are right. Hopefully when the economy settles down, and people can afford to buy goods without fear of not being able to heat their homes, feed their families, travel to work, or just have a job to go to. Hopefully freight will get back to normal for all of us, there is enough to go around for all of us to survive profitable.

Stimpy said:
You are right. Hopefully when the economy settles down, and people can afford to buy goods without fear of not being able to heat their homes, feed their families, travel to work, or just have a job to go to. Hopefully freight will get back to normal for all of us, there is enough to go around for all of us to survive profitable.

I realize that gasoline was high......but if people can't afford things on today's economy, with the money we make, they have a lot more problems than one month's good economy can change.

I realize I'm the pot calling the kettle black here, but some simply cannot handle their resources. Don't mean to start troubles. Some are laid off, other bad things happen. But I do see a lot of boats and Cadillacs in the parking lot driven by guys that complain they can't make enough....

Enough from the soap box.......I now return you to your normally scheduled gripe session........:shades:

Enough from the soap box.......I now return you to your normally scheduled gripe session........:shades:[/QUOTE]

Eight hours a day for me is great for me. Doesn’t happen though, But if you can’t make it on forty hours, you better get that application into Mickey D’s. Enough from my soapbox!!
:soapbox:

jeb said:
:realmad: 5-6 years ago we had 17 or 18 bids and 5-6 office people,now we have 8 bids and 5 office people.We went from about 200+ outbound bills a nite to under 80. Inbound has went from 200+ on mondays to about 130-140 and avg. around 60-90 the rest of the week.Tm says everything he bids on pricing in KC tells him no.Holland,Roadway,ABF all are doing fine no layoffs.Conway just ran an add in the paper last Sunday and fxf lot looks like a car lot.I've been with yellow 10.5 years and really like the job and the customers we service.I just don't know what to think,and all the TM and OP's super think about is how to keep everyone in the office working.It's this numbers game and they do anything they can to get them as close as they can. What is all the crap about superior value to the customer .Just venting but I was wondering if this goes on at other terminals. Thanks for any replies.
I was at OWT (Owatonna, Mn) yesterday on my way home from STP and I asked the dispatcher at the window if they are busy,and he proceeds to tell me that they are hurting because they had just been outbid, by 10 percent , on one of their biggest accounts, that included 11 shippers,by Holland. He said Yellow was barely profitable on this account, and was doubtful Holland could make a profit on the account. Makes no sense to me, but I'm not seeing " THE BIG PICTURE".

It's all about control. Something is in the works. My guess is it has something to do with the "PSE" premium service employee gig they are trying to implement and the economy. Gas prices are hurting people and they aren't buying. I can tell you here in NJ it's slow also. Maybe being the economy is allegedly picking up so will the tonnage.:bicycle:

nightshadow said:
Did gas stay up in the east? It went down in MO,It was 1.83 but now its back to 1.98 where I live
down to 2.13 here in baltimore. the lowest i've seen since i don't know when..

wyomingkid said:
gas in greenville,s.c monday was 1.95.someone said today that it was 1.78
I saw one gas station in Lake Bluff Illinois that had gas for $2.33 Regular,
Diesel for $2.69 today.It almost seems like a couple of stations are raising prices again .

are you guys working?? am in col and havnt worked that much thgis year feels like its going to be a long winter money wise/ just broke 20gs
and have been on call all year but laidoff til 6-26
worked the dock city and yard when needed
sure hope things get better

OK, even though I ALWAYS see the rosy side of things--- and in Indy we seem to be busy when no one else is.......

For 2 weeks now we've have 6-7 drivers a day on the dock-- no work until evening switches are ready. We even cancelled 3 driving bids and STILL about 5 a day on the dock.

If WE'RE slow-- you guys must be dead! And I know about the Holland underbidding stuff-- our salesmen tell me they aren't allowed to underbid Roadway or Holland, no matter what those two do to us.........The subject came up because I asked them-- if I back between Holland and Roadway at a customer's dock-- they both are leaving with full stacked trailers; we're leaving with 2 skids....How Come??????

jimmy g said:
OK, even though I ALWAYS see the rosy side of things--- and in Indy we seem to be busy when no one else is.......

For 2 weeks now we've have 6-7 drivers a day on the dock-- no work until evening switches are ready. We even cancelled 3 driving bids and STILL about 5 a day on the dock.

If WE'RE slow-- you guys must be dead! And I know about the Holland underbidding stuff-- our salesmen tell me they aren't allowed to underbid Roadway or Holland, no matter what those two do to us.........The subject came up because I asked them-- if I back between Holland and Roadway at a customer's dock-- they both are leaving with full stacked trailers; we're leaving with 2 skids....How Come??????

Because we are being player for suckers by corporate.

HEY JIMMY G,
I WORK FOR ROADWAY AND OUR SALES MEN TELL US THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO UNDERBID YELLOW FRT IF THEY ARE ALREADY IN AN ACCOUNT.I THINK THIS IS A STANDARD BULL---- COMMENT THEY ARE TOLD TO TELL US "STUPID TEAMSTERS".:poster_stupid:

jimmy g said:

With the exception of when our bids changed last month I've been running nonstop at CGB. I'm sure COL is slow though cause I haven't got stuck with that run or even offered it in almost 6 months. Here's an idea about the pricing thing though. Sometimes I wonder if YRCW doesn't switch freight between the three CO's to get the bottom guys jumping back and forth between the three, all at 75%. When it was slow this summer I almost went to Holland cause alot of those guys said it was busy but no they're laying off.

Sometimes I think there's a guy with a roulette wheel sitting in Overland Park, spinning to see which company he can make the most nervous THIS Quarter.....

It has started to slow down a little here in detroit. Gas is at 2.13 a gallon today. They economy should start to pump back up because the dow has been up the last few days. keep up the faith.