Yellow | Whats Up With This

down to 2.00 in col area/ still not working here been 10 days/ and yellow just laidoff bottom 6guys/ whats going on? we are supposed to be balls to the walls// ouch its gettin tight

TM says we are slowing down in my terminal ( Big R).
Wouldn't know it from my run though. Best price for reg in NY City is $2.23.

there must be a solution to keep the junior men working It would be a lot easier to gain membership if the layoffs wern't such a fact. I did not hear about this till a couple months after I was hired. I guess I was stupid for not doing more research before taking a union position

Eaglescout,

When I first took a union job at Preston, the junior men were given days by having the senior men relinquish a day. By doing this, they would either take no pay or use a paid sick, personal or vacation day and enable the junior man to get some days. Once I had made it up the ladder, I would then do the same thing for new guys on the job. After Preston closed, I went to Roadway. It was a little harder to get some senior men to give up a day for the new guy, but some in fact would. Again, once I moved up the ladder, I did the same thing. Lately, all the new guys at my barn have been working every day for about as long as I can remember.

yo animo....

it's the friggin' economy that's doin' it.....

my drug copay bill is 500 bucks every 3 months for me and my wife.....

we all know what the gas price is.....

heat and electric are way up.....

the way it looks for me is i can't drop a trip until i get my tax check back in march....

you can bet i love telling a junior guy that punches in with me to plug layover at my start time the next morning and give him a 600 dollar carrot, sad but true that aint gonna happen anytime soon unless powerball calls me up....

i shaped up a lot of years too so i know what the story is for sure......

mikeeeeeeeeeeeee

My son is bottom man in city at Roadway K. C. Was hired Oct. 2, just finished his probation and getting 5/6 punches a week, all on dock. Mustache Retired Roadway

Animo916 said:
Eaglescout,

When I first took a union job at Preston, the junior men were given days by having the senior men relinquish a day. By doing this, they would either take no pay or use a paid sick, personal or vacation day and enable the junior man to get some days. Once I had made it up the ladder, I would then do the same thing for new guys on the job.

That right there is what it's all about Animo.:thumbsup:

I've had guys do it for me and I was more than happy to do it for junior guys when I could.

That's what brotherhood is all about

I have been on layoff and the guy ahead of me was laid off today. We are a small end of the line terminal and our senior guys were working 50-60 hours with me on layoff, no help from the top here in Wilmington,NC!

Just a Heads Up

Make sure that any terminal that has city drivers laid off is not giving freight to local cartage agents (overflow freight). I know that even if we walk (send home) 1 shape driver, no cartage is allowed to be sent out that day. If it should happen that cartage gets freight when drivers go home, then at least he will be paid for that day. I'm sure the same applies to layoffs. Bottom line is if they need to send freight to cartage, then in essence, they need more drivers.

They give away freight on a daily basis with guys on layoff, I asked the union steward about it and he defends the company-says it's ok, must be low clearance stops that only a straight truck can get into.
Our local isn't too concerned with anything more than collecting dues.

If that's the case, I would go straight to the hall and ask the BA what the deal is? If they have enough to give away work, then they can bring guys back from layoff to handle the work. If you get no satisfactory results then file those greivences and take it another step up on the teamster ladder.

deaf dumb and blind said:
They give away freight on a daily basis with guys on layoff, I asked the union steward about it and he defends the company-says it's ok, must be low clearance stops that only a straight truck can get into.
Our local isn't too concerned with anything more than collecting dues.
This sounds kinda fishy to me...who do you work for??? :horse:

Gasoline here in Michigan went back up to $2.23 a gallon. I bet after tuesday (elections) It goes down. Things are a little slow here in Detroit hope it picks up soon. I think people are just waiting to see if the Democrates get elected back into office. :USA: Please do not forget to vote.:USA:

If it goes DOWN after the elections it blows the theory that government or Bush is controlling the price. For that theory to work, it goes down BEFORE the election-- UP after it...........

I think it'll stay down or go lower if Repubs are elected, for Wall Street will think stability.

It'll go up if Dems are elected, for Wall Street will think of Charlie Rangle's statement that he will repeal the tax cuts--- sending the economy into a nosedive, and shutting our industry down......

Also it'll go up if Dems are elected because no one trusts the Dems to protect oil flowing and the Iran factor. Like it or not, we need the flow of oil to make this nation work........

Work At The Big R In New Jersey Terminal Where Work Is Given To Cartage Agents Everyday. They Tell Us Everybody On List Is Working And We Cant Do Anything About It. Well The Local Should Do Something About It And Thats Make Them Hire More Drivers.if You Have To Give Teamster Work Away Every Day Then You Should Hire More Teamster Workers To Do It,especially When The Local Cries About Pension ,welfare And Health Amounts They Have To Pay Out.we Are Going To Become Extinct Like The Dinosaurs If The Union Lets The Companys Keep Giving Work To Cartage Instead Of Hiring More Men. Wake Up!!!!!!