ABF | When are we going to be working again?

yellowjeeptony

TB Lurker
Credits
I work at 064 and have been laid off since Dec. 14th. I have been working on the dock off and on but have not had an offer to work the dock since March 10th....where is the freight?

Welcome Yellowjeeptony!
I wish I knew the answer to your question! I'm a road driver in Alt. and got laid off in Jan. -called back the beginning of March and got laid off again this week!! Crossing my fingers and hopein it gets better!! The non-unions are slow too so lets hope it picks up!!

Hey waysho...man it really sucks. I can't wait until I can get back out on the road again. I keep hearing how good the economy is doing and how there is such a shortage of truck drivers, I just wonder why ABF is not aggresively trying to get freight to move? Somebody is moving freight because I-75 & I 70 are loaded with trucks moving up and down the freeway.

Every week in the local paper there are tons of non-union driving jobs available. I may have to consider one of these jobs unless things pick really soon.

PSE drivers are hauling the road drivers freight.Road drivers are sitting home on layoff PSE is hauling the core freight.Thanks ABF this is just what YOU TOLD US WOULD NOT TAKE PLACE.

They (ABF) really keep us in the dark and the union is really not a wealth of information either. All I know is that back in Sept. I left a good paying job to come and work for ABF...the only thing that has happened is that my savings account has been drained by nearly $15K since coming to ABF.

Hey guys, I know its tuff, be you have to remember that your 1st winter is always the toughest. when I was at Roadway it was slow for me too then the next winter it got better, by the time my third winter came along i had all the work i could want.
Same thing with ABF, my 1st winter was alittle slow, but this year I worked all I want. As a line driver I was even turning down runs so the lower drivers could get some work.
Freight always slows up in the winter right after Christmas usually. It will start picking up ant time soon. Usually by April everyones back to work.

That's what I keep hearing-I really want to give it a chance-I've got almost 20 good years in the union and I really don't want to work non-union ( I know I'm spoiled)!!

Well, this is my 3rd season and I got more trips my 1st and 2nd season than this winter/spring. PSE = buy one employee-get one free. (city\road driver\dock worker = PSE) Less jobs for the Union in the long run! Seen this before in other industries. They called it ' multy tasking' Relief Operators, Utility Men. The company pulled a fast one on the Union last contract.

Hey waysho!

Welcome Yellowjeeptony!
I wish I knew the answer to your question! I'm a road driver in Alt. and got laid off in Jan. -called back the beginning of March and got laid off again this week!! Crossing my fingers and hopein it gets better!! The non-unions are slow too so lets hope it picks up!!

I am a mechanic at ABF Atlanta and things still seem pretty slow! we still have way to many sets of empties making rounds trips to feel good right now

Ponder this...Is this all prepping for 2008 contract negs.??? Big Bob alway has something to say about union vs non-union, pension, health care on each and every chance he gets to address 'the troops'. Hit 'em in the pocket book to soften 'em up.

I'm sorry, its is alittle slow down here in Kingman, az but I'm working pretty good. I didn't relize it was so slow elsewhere. All I can say is hang in there and goodluck.
And as for working unoin for 20yrs and being spoiled. Other companies like FED EX, UPS Freight, Old Domion, and such are paying just as much with possiblely better insurance and yes a 401K, but a 401K isn't that bad. Ya i Know you don't get job protection, But if you work hard and do your job safely your fine. Teamsters today have almost forgot what it means to work hard.
You know the trucking industry has changed and the unions arn't as powerful anymore and maybe just maybe not needed as much. It hurts me to say that cause I'm a 3RD generatation Teamster myself. But its coming to an end and everyone can see that but don't really want to say it. If there is a strike next April that could be it.

When I hired in, they told me that it was going to be slow, but this is rediculous. In my mind, slow would be getting out once or twice a week....but I haven't driven since December and no dock offers since March 10th.

I also found out that the 25 road drivers that were called back about 3 weeks ago, got laid off again. This is not very encouraging at all for the bottom feeders!

I recieved a job offer from Zumstein. I haven't heard anything bad about this outfit....has anyone else heard anything...good or bad about them?

I'm sorry, its is alittle slow down here in Kingman, az but I'm working pretty good. I didn't relize it was so slow elsewhere. All I can say is hang in there and goodluck.
And as for working unoin for 20yrs and being spoiled. Other companies like FED EX, UPS Freight, Old Domion, and such are paying just as much with possiblely better insurance and yes a 401K, but a 401K isn't that bad. Ya i Know you don't get job protection, But if you work hard and do your job safely your fine. Teamsters today have almost forgot what it means to work hard.
You know the trucking industry has changed and the unions arn't as powerful anymore and maybe just maybe not needed as much. It hurts me to say that cause I'm a 3RD generatation Teamster myself. But its coming to an end and everyone can see that but don't really want to say it. If there is a strike next April that could be it.

Great post could not agree with you more. And yes I am a Teamster. Sad but true.

All i can say is hang in there guys/gals. I work for FedEx NTL (WML) and it is slow here also. It picks up a little at the end of the month but then it dies off again. If I were you i'd hang in there. At least you have a pension to look forward to.

Ya really think so? If so, why?

I disagree about unions not being needed however, With ripoff companies like Walmart adn Circuit City making life hell for thier workers, unions are needed more then ever, IMO

Ya really think so? If so, why?

I disagree about unions not being needed however, With ripoff companies like Walmart adn Circuit City making life hell for thier workers, unions are needed more then ever, IMO

I agree i think in the next couple of years you will see an increase in union membership. All you have to do is read the non-union co
pages. They are all starting to realize why the union is around in the first place. Companys like ABF and YRC have shown we can have solid work rules and still compete in the marketplace. :nutkick: Who do you think the Green guy is Managment or the non union driver.

I agree i think in the next couple of years you will see an increase in union membership. All you have to do is read the non-union co
pages. They are all starting to realize why the union is around in the first place. Companys like ABF and YRC have shown we can have solid work rules and still compete in the marketplace. :nutkick: Who do you think the Green guy is Managment or the non union driver.

The green guy is ABF Management of course, lol.

In Louisville (Holland) we have had 22 men laid off all winter. In the last few weeks, we have finally started to pick up big time. All but 10 men are called back and it looks like they will all be back and maybe even a few new guys very soon. It seems very busy throughout our system so maybe the worst is over and everybody (ABF, Yellow, Roadway, ETC..) will be back to normal mode soon. Its like in the winter you wish for summer and in the summer you can't wait for winter. Once it gets busy you'll want some time off, enjoy it while it lasts.