ABF | When freight was KING!

Muler

TB Veteran
Credits
I have been one of the lucky freight drivers because I lived in the days when FREIGHT WAS KING!

We were respected and paid an above average wage and given a great retirement package. But that was back when freight companies were ran by freight people. When a supervisor knew most of the answers to the problems and knew how to correct them. When the head of a freight company knew the difference between a engine head and toliet head and a lot lizard's definition of head. In other words they took the time to know our world. Not because they wanted to but because they needed too for maxim returns on their investments.

Many were family owned and that meant everything they owned was wrapped up in the freight company they ran. So for that we all had a common denominator. Our livelihoods were all connected to the freight company and for that we worked out difficult situations. If you had to be off because your wife or kids needed you they understood because they did the same when their families needed them. They knew our names and they didn't issue us a number. This does not mean we did not have HEAD BUTTING TIMES! we did.
but we had a Common grounds for finding a solution we wanted our company to be the best that there was in the freight industry.

Who would have thought that abf would be amongst the last one standing in the union freight industry? We did because we worked at achieving that goal if and when it ever came down to it. I have worked side by side with some of the best ever in this business and our still standing PROVES IT!

And on the flip side I can honestly say that the ones that did not make it was because of EXECUTIVE ERRORS! That's right they are gone because they were ran WRONG! After all many of the Brothers from those companies came to abf and became very valuable assets to the company. And yes we were a family owned and ran company for decades and our way of life reflected the manner in which our company owner felt about us. We weathered many storms. Deregulation. Hostile takeover attempts, tanked economies and yes times were hard but we all rolled up our sleeves and kept abf(Carolina) afloat and profitable because we all were a family that needed each other.

Today's BEAN COUNTERS are not of the family type. They appear to be nothing more than fleeting money grabbers on their way to bigger and better things. OH they speak of equal sacrifice but that is just words for the uneducated to trick them into giving up what they have earned and to convince the weak and scared to give up what their families dearly needed.

They sit in the board rooms figuring out ways to get our money rather than ways to EARN BIGGER PROFITS! They have seen from the actions of other companies that the easiest way to get more bonuses and salary increases is to TAKE IT FROM THEIR OWN WORKERS! Our very leaders have seen great increases in these areas and not because of greater freight levels or in better and more coast effective ways of moving freight but just because they TOOK FROM US!

Now when you see loads sitting and freight not getting moved it will not harm them it will send them back to our weak and scared for more of our hard earned money. After all they have shown what they think the definition of equal sacrifice is.

They took the freight companies from the freight executives because they the freight executives got lazy and comfortable in their jobs. And now we are all being made to pay for it. Hell back in a day we didn't need a HR department because for the most part they just tried to do the right thing. Now today we have almost as many labor men as we do yardmen.

We need to get back to what WORKED and that is a fair days work for a fair days pay. If you are busy all the time worrying about your job or if you entered the right information into a hand held device then the freight will not get moved.

So to all you invaders of the freight industries I would say go back to your BEAN COUNTING and leave the business of moving freight to those that know how and to those that want to LEARN HOW!

YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

I have been one of the lucky freight drivers because I lived in the days when FREIGHT WAS KING!

We were respected and paid an above average wage and given a great retirement package. But that was back when freight companies were ran by freight people. When a supervisor knew most of the answers to the problems and knew how to correct them. When the head of a freight company knew the difference between a engine head and toliet head and a lot lizard's definition of head. In other words they took the time to know our world. Not because they wanted to but because they needed too for maxim returns on their investments.

Many were family owned and that meant everything they owned was wrapped up in the freight company they ran. So for that we all had a common denominator. Our livelihoods were all connected to the freight company and for that we worked out difficult situations. If you had to be off because your wife or kids needed you they understood because they did the same when their families needed them. They knew our names and they didn't issue us a number. This does not mean we did not have HEAD BUTTING TIMES! we did.
but we had a Common grounds for finding a solution we wanted our company to be the best that there was in the freight industry.

Who would have thought that abf would be amongst the last one standing in the union freight industry? We did because we worked at achieving that goal if and when it ever came down to it. I have worked side by side with some of the best ever in this business and our still standing PROVES IT!

And on the flip side I can honestly say that the ones that did not make it was because of EXECUTIVE ERRORS! That's right they are gone because they were ran WRONG! After all many of the Brothers from those companies came to abf and became very valuable assets to the company. And yes we were a family owned and ran company for decades and our way of life reflected the manner in which our company owner felt about us. We weathered many storms. Deregulation. Hostile takeover attempts, tanked economies and yes times were hard but we all rolled up our sleeves and kept abf(Carolina) afloat and profitable because we all were a family that needed each other.

Today's BEAN COUNTERS are not of the family type. They appear to be nothing more than fleeting money grabbers on their way to bigger and better things. OH they speak of equal sacrifice but that is just words for the uneducated to trick them into giving up what they have earned and to convince the weak and scared to give up what their families dearly needed.

They sit in the board rooms figuring out ways to get our money rather than ways to EARN BIGGER PROFITS! They have seen from the actions of other companies that the easiest way to get more bonuses and salary increases is to TAKE IT FROM THEIR OWN WORKERS! Our very leaders have seen great increases in these areas and not because of greater freight levels or in better and more coast effective ways of moving freight but just because they TOOK FROM US!

Now when you see loads sitting and freight not getting moved it will not harm them it will send them back to our weak and scared for more of our hard earned money. After all they have shown what they think the definition of equal sacrifice is.

They took the freight companies from the freight executives because they the freight executives got lazy and comfortable in their jobs. And now we are all being made to pay for it. Hell back in a day we didn't need a HR department because for the most part they just tried to do the right thing. Now today we have almost as many labor men as we do yardmen.

We need to get back to what WORKED and that is a fair days work for a fair days pay. If you are busy all the time worrying about your job or if you entered the right information into a hand held device then the freight will not get moved.

So to all you invaders of the freight industries I would say go back to your BEAN COUNTING and leave the business of moving freight to those that know how and to those that want to LEARN HOW!

YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
Excellent post.I want to add that wages for us working people in the USA has fallen by 23%.Meanwhile at the executive levels.They haven't lost a thing.Matter of fact their compensation has grown considerably.All this has happened since the great recession started.Example of executive compensation at its best.We are spot lighting YRCW for an example.After the second MOU 2014 passed by scrupulous means.Most of the YRCW executives were awarded bonuses.Imagine that! US rank and file Teamsters got really big bonuses.A whole whopping 750.00.Thats right 750.00 per each qualified Teamster.Then we found out with evidence.That the IBT and YRCW had been negotiating a deal.Whereby YRCW doesn't have to pay into the Pension fund til after the MOU 2014 expires in 2019.A defferral on top of a defferral. All this info was stuck in smack dab into a 722 page report filed as a 10-k report to the SEC.All the while we were voting the negotiations had been sealed and signed.Deception at its best.

Excellent post.I want to add that wages for us working people in the USA has fallen by 23%.Meanwhile at the executive levels.They haven't lost a thing.Matter of fact their compensation has grown considerably.All this has happened since the great recession started.Example of executive compensation at its best.We are spot lighting YRCW for an example.After the second MOU 2014 passed by scrupulous means.Most of the YRCW executives were awarded bonuses.Imagine that! US rank and file Teamsters got really big bonuses.A whole whopping 750.00.Thats right 750.00 per each qualified Teamster.Then we found out with evidence.That the IBT and YRCW had been negotiating a deal.Whereby YRCW doesn't have to pay into the Pension fund til after the MOU 2014 expires in 2019.A defferral on top of a defferral. All this info was stuck in smack dab into a 722 page report filed as a 10-k report to the SEC.All the while we were voting the negotiations had been sealed and signed.Deception at its best.
You sir have an excellent post. You said it all. We were all DECEIVED. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS

We need to get back to what WORKED and that is a fair days work for a fair days pay

I miss seeing your posts here Muler. This was another excellent post. The only thing I think may be hard for you and most others who frequently post here to believe, is that we are still the BEST compensated employees (pay + benefits) of any freight company in the USA. I strongly agree with most everything you said, just want you to remember that fact. To me, anyone who thinks that we are undercompensated for what we do and for our skillset (even after giving some back), is thinking like a fool.

clearly misguided through the entire process. Lies, misrepresentation of facts? yes we are paid well, but to be lowered under false pretenses is wrong. And for our skillset? Everyone thinks its just point it in a direction and hold on.. forget the long hours away from family for road drivers, duress on body, mind... is there enough pay for that skillset? everyone in this business, union and non are way undercompensated and why we need to be organizing and educating!!! Growing our Union..

I miss seeing your posts here Muler. This was another excellent post. The only thing I think may be hard for you and most others who frequently post here to believe, is that we are still the BEST compensated employees (pay + benefits) of any freight company in the USA. I strongly agree with most everything you said, just want you to remember that fact. To me, anyone who thinks that we are undercompensated for what we do and for our skillset (even after giving some back), is thinking like a fool.
We still aren't being compensated enough.All the way through the trucking industry.We and everyone still are not being paid enough.If you are a driver.Do you realize how dangerous of a job we have as drivers?? Our industry as a whole ranks in the top ten for the most dangerous job in the US.All the time spent away from our families.Other drivers driving crazy on our highways.If you're a YRC driver.We have to worry about axles failing while we are driving.Or some other major mechanical failures causing tragedy.Not just with old trucks but the new equipment can fail too.We are not immune.Dont ever sell yourself short and buy into the deceptions.Afterall isn't ABF considering buying a multi million dollar gigantuan freight facility in Memphis?

Not thinking like a fool Brother. We have always enjoyed being paid amongst the highest paid truck drivers in the United States. I don't know where under compensated came from. I just want what we were promised in our 2008 to 2013 contract. That is a dollar an hour would be divided up between the health and welfare fund and the pension fund. And they the company and the CSPF did not live up to that agreement. As for the wages I feel my time whatever amount that may be left on this earth is valuable. I feel my 30 plus years of accident free driving and the millions of dollars that I have help secure for abf is worth a high rate of pay. If you are satisfied with less you can always send some back to the fort.

You may think that is a smart @ss answer and you would be wrong. It is a honest and truthful answer. You and others would not like it if your wages were to be determined by your driving records or your physical exam evaluations.

The majority was deceived into thinking that abf was in dire straits when it was not. Now to some that is a problem because they are men of honor(and yes there are men and women of honor in our industry) who deplore being swindled. If it is OK with you then that is for you to live with. But to thousands of abf Teamsters it is not OK.

To say we are still paid at a high rate is almost a slap in the faces of we the Brothers and Sisters that feel as though we were wronged. You will before it is all over reap the benefits that we suffered for years ago and yet I have to hear Brothers as yourself speak of why me and my Brothers and Sisters are paid enough.

When you get old I will be dead. But you will some day see where I am coming from. I don't want to fight with you but I will if I have too on this matter. So I hope you did not call me a fool for what I have worked a life time for.. Remember anyone wanting to help abf can send even more to the Fort. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

For anyone who may want to give more.

3801 OLD GREENWOOD RD
FORT SMITH, AR 72903
United States - Map
+1-479-7856000 (Phone)
+1-302-6365454 (Fax)

HURRY THOUGH THAT ADDRESS WILL SOON BE REPLACED BY A BRAND SPANKING NEW ONE SOON!

Once again brother Muler, I agree with most everything you said, but it just still... somehow... sounds like, maybe in the back of your mind... or possibly more than that... that you feel like we are undercompensated.

I certainly respect and understand the skills necessary, and the dangers involved. But anyone, thinking clearly, and having a decent understanding, knows that we are not undercompensated. All due respect, it's simply my opinion, which clearly most of the bunch that gathers here doesn't share. It just seems to be the underlying theme of many, many posts by different authors. I respect you and all the authors here - maybe you more so than anyone else - and I greatly appreciate the information offered here as well as differing viewpoints on every different subject imaginable. I just felt compelled to bring up this point.

I apologize brother Muler if I made it sound like I was calling you a "fool". My intentions were to give you my opinion that anyone thinking we are undercompensated was thinking foolishly. No disrespect to you was intended whatsoever.

I guess I will say that I appreciate this persons attitude in not attacking and will leave it at that.. But should we ever feel we are compensated fairly? With the prices of things rising, cost of living, fuel, homes, interest, college for kids, etc... its not cheap to live, pay co-pays for meds, drs, tuitions, lunches, groceries.. Are we ever really paid just right? Who makes that determination? is it a Muler? is it NextGen teamster? is it me? ABF the IBT? But it is up to ABF contract employees with the facts presented to them properly, etc.. to claim the loss of money and in a year see what has happened is ludicrous.. but to throw around foolish is not righto represent we are paid too well or don't deserve more based on our skill is knocking yourself a bit.. take a bit of pride and show appreciation for the men who helped us achieve. Attitudes like we are not worthy are putting us in the tank and may keep us from ever seeing another contract!!

I would venture to say, if and when any of you realize - truly realize - that we are compensated very well and very fairly.... it might cheer you up and you wont have to be so negative and critical. You may find you like your job a little better if you stop criticizing management and use that same energy to work together.

those companies did not die due to employees asking for more. Remember what Muler said,, Fair days pay for Fair days work.. I guess its all your interpretation as to how much you feel you are worth.. I am worth more... I urge you to re-read Mulers entire post.. it makes a lot of sense...

I read Muler's post the first time, and even acknowledged that I agreed with most everything he said. That doesn't change my particular point at all. And I know I am the only one here with this opinion, but here goes...

Anyone who can show evidence, in every single case of a Teamster freight company dying, that 100% of the blame falls on management's shoulders for their decisions, has deceived you. If you are thinking that we Teamsters do not have any blame or fault whatsoever in the falling of all these companies, you have tunnel vision and will never accept the truth.

The truth is that they DID make many mistakes. Many of them HUGE. But EVERY company, union or not, makes mistakes big and small. And the best overcome their mistakes. This will be a hard pill for many of you to swallow, but for many, many years the Teamster trucking companies were forced to OVERPAY... yes I said it.. OVERPAY their employees because of the strike or the threat of a strike. The Teamsters for a long time were TOO POWERFUL and they didn't believe management that the company wasn't profiting. So they DIDN'T give back, they TOOK, and they took just a little too much.... it's everyone's fault - let's hope it doesn't happen again

I would venture to say, if and when any of you realize - truly realize - that we are compensated very well and very fairly.... it might cheer you up and you wont have to be so negative and critical. You may find you like your job a little better if you stop criticizing management and use that same energy to work together.
I can see you might be a part of the know it all generation. I am a 35 Year employee and that in it's self should show that I have been and still am a very good return on abf's profit margin. I don't know you but I have seen you tell us that we are worth less and that we are not happy in our lives. You would be wrong on both counts. For the most part you sound disgruntled with the people that you work with. If that is the case I feel for you.

I just pointed out that I along with thousands of other Teamsters voted for a contract in 2008 that was not lived up to you took offense to that. WHY? I don't know where you came from but it must have been a terrible place to work if you are so quick to judge and to ridicule Brothers for wanting a fair days pay for a fair days work. If you feel you are paid enough then maybe just maybe you are not doing enough. JUST SAYING!

Why do you try to stand up for management? JUST SAYING!

That says a lot about your commitment to your fellow Teamsters. You will have a tough road to travel if you keep forgetting where your Brothers are. But you are your own man and you will do as you see fit. I only wished you worked at the 065 terminal so I could see how a STUD TEAMSTER really works. As for criticizing management if I have to tell you then you would not be much of a TEAMSTER(which I don't believe you are). YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!