ABF | When freight was KING!

BroomDusty-300x282.jpg
The yearly series is Cleveland-7 detroit-6 Just saying!

Can abf ever become a trucking company that can attract the quality drivers that are needed to run a safe profitable company ever again?
It is not looking to good as of lately.

We have seen them hire guys that have no clue as to how to hook doubles let alone pull them. We need someone to run this company with a hands on approach. Or at least hire people in the know.

We're hiring bean-counters and day-traders,......Couldn't tell the difference between a gladhand and a gearshift......

Can abf ever become a trucking company that can attract the quality drivers that are needed to run a safe profitable company ever again?

We have seen them hire guys that have no clue as to how to hook doubles let alone pull them. We need someone to run this company with a hands on approach. Or at least hire people in the know.
I believe that ABF Freight will find themselves a day late and a dollar short. I predict that the lead time it will take and the inability to fulfill the forthcoming driver shortage will leave them stranded and customers are not very forgiving when there is a widespread breach of service commitments. The speed at which they secure replacement service combined with the low rate of recovering lost business is going cost this company dearly. I have always felt that there would be a day when one or more freight company(s) would go out of business due to an inability to satisfactorily perform the work. It was not until recently that I considered that ABF Freight would be one.

I would jump on board if it weren't for ABF'S vacation policy. Eight years is too long to wait for a second week. All you are going to attract is yrcw drivers looking for that year of full pension payments to bring them up to top pension. After the year they are gone.

Not under this contract....

The problem starts with the currant leadership of the Teamsters Union. Seems to me they are only interested in collecting union dues.

There is no..."leadership'....with the current bunch of.....people..... running the Teamsters. If there were, you'd see them bending heaven and earth helping to organize FedEx and Con-Way. Those places are self-organizing,...with local help,....sometimes in spite of the bumblers in Washington. They're so far removed from working people that they've adopted the attitudes of the very people they're supposed to negotiate against, toward rank-and-file. The recent change in Art. 12 of the IBT Constitution pretty much says: "Be quiet, children.....We know what's best for you,...so shut up." We hear that from our employers every day.........It's disappointing to watch the IBT adopt the same philosophy.......

The problem starts with the currant leadership of the Teamsters Union. Seems to me they are only interested in collecting union dues.
It's so obvious a retiree can see it.

I would jump on board if it weren't for ABF'S vacation policy. Eight years is too long to wait for a second week. All you are going to attract is yrcw drivers looking for that year of full pension payments to bring them up to top pension. After the year they are gone.

The vacation policy is also what caused me from making a switch and moving to the other side of the state this summer,............

I heard that the Tigers are getting tired of Detroit winters and are moving to Birmingham next year. :shrug:

I heard that the Tigers are getting tired of Detroit winters and are moving to Birmingham next year. :shrug:

I seriously don't think many of the Tigers spend the winter in Detroit. I left that icebox 33 years ago for the southwest.

20 years ago I thought this was a decent career choice,...............
Now at 40 all I can think about is how do I get out??,.......
I was with a small company for the first half of my career, and I loved my job. Now at 60, the last time I have to get in a truck and try to do more with less can't come soon enough. This job has become a horror most of the time if you care about trying to do a good job.