TForce | When I came from the union to OVNT.I saw little discipline

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
That was something I was really surprised to see in such a large trucking company.

When I worked for Teamster trucking companies either full time,or as a spare,if you made a human error,they would be very quick to write you up.
Than if you made another mistake they gave you 3 days off without pay,unless you could get it reversed by your local union rep's.
If not the next time it was 1 week without pay,the next mess up it was bye,bye,your fired.

But at Ovetrnite,I could never understand all the stuff I've seen my co-workers get away with?

All anyone has ever got is a letter in their personal file.
I found that Overnite was really laid back with their lax discipline compared to union companies.

I personaly think people should be somewhat responsible for the mistakes they make if its going to cost the company money for claims,or damaged equipment.

Theres a lot of one on one warnings,before anyone gets written up,and after that only the TM knows?

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

I'm replying to my own thread first

I wanted to add on to my first message without making it to much to read at one time.
The other thing I wanted to say is that even though we'er working for UPS with all their work rules we'er getting used to.
We actualy are still working under the same management that was the old Overnite.
I have the same TM his boss is the same,all the way up to Leo.

The same old sales team,everything is Overnite,except what UPS wants us to look like.

So maybe the same lax discipline will still remain.

Apostolic said:
I wanted to add on to my first message without making it to much to read at one time.
The other thing I wanted to say is that even though we'er working for UPS with all their work rules we'er getting used to.
We actualy are still working under the same management that was the old Overnite.
I have the same TM his boss is the same,all the way up to Leo.

The same old sales team,everything is Overnite,except what UPS wants us to look like.

So maybe the same lax discipline will still remain.

I know what you mean Apostloic. It's always been a standing joke you can't get fired at Overnite. If you do you really have done it to yourself. I've never seen a company give a person more chances. And that has always been the case even before the union problem.

It's been a great company I shall miss it.

Skeeter said:
I know what you mean Apostloic. It's always been a standing joke you can't get fired at Overnite. If you do you really have done it to yourself. I've never seen a company give a person more chances. And that has always been the case even before the union problem.

It's been a great company I shall miss it.
You two guys skeeter and Apostolic could not have said it better. Some of the stuff is so far fetched, you just can't make it up. It should be a movie. This is why sometimes you see me get all fired up about the companies lacks management skills. It's a wonder how we held on so long. As tough as I think it may end up being here to work, it will be great to watch the slackers, hackers and thieves get shown the door. Long overdue!!

I agree with the lower stress management style....goes back to when Cochrane was the owner...20+ years ago when it got slow, ther were no layoffs, they would hand you a broom and sweep the aprons or mow the lawns...2 bucks an hour less than the union, but you didn't get laid off..

attendance problems

Just before the May 1st launch our TM posted the attendance policy right above the time clock.

We had several road drivers that would miss at least one or two days a week before May 1st. But since then they have been to work everyday. imagine that...​

That was one of the biggest draws to give up my union card

When my last full time Teamster LTL company went under I would wake up at 6AM every morning with my list of union trucking companies in my area.
Than start calling to see if they needed a spare driver.
I was in line with every other union driver that was doing the same.
Back then there wasn't any spare senority it was work 30 days,and maybe put on full time.
But the companies were very used to all the union rules,you may work 29 days with one than you couldn't get anymore from that one for another month so you'd have to try somewhere else.
What a rat race.

Overnite was hiring offering 40 hour weeks with no lay-offs .
Now you know why I'm an UPS Freight hauler,and still not a Teamster.

Silverhawk1 said:
Just before the May 1st launch our TM posted the attendance policy right above the time clock.

We had several road drivers that would miss at least one or two days a week before May 1st. But since then they have been to work everyday. imagine that...​
We have a couple that are either "sick on Mon. or Fri.", but they are still there. I just wonder how much longer? Like every other barn, it gets old pulling dead weight around. It certainly does not stand well amoung us drivers who give a 100% all the time. When we screw up, it's like we've performed a cardinal sin, while the deadbeats go on there merry way. I just wonder why we keep them? I'd cut my losses and eat crow before I would keep some of these people employed.

As for me I do my work unto God and don't worry about others

I Ask for Gods help to keep me focused on my job every morning,and to help me meet the challenges I will face.

I set a highier standared for myself,and don't pay any attention to what everyone else is doing.

Anyone given enough rope will eventualy hang themself.

We had one driver that was the biggest mess up I've ever seen on any job
I've worked over the last 43 years.
His file must have been as thick as the New York phone book.

He finaly pulled one last thing and he was out the door even going through the peer review he had to many strikes against him.

Only trouble of letting him stay as long as they did he was setting presidence for others to get away with the same things.

Either way he was a weak link at our terminal,and he's gone now.

Apostolic said:
Only trouble of letting him stay as long as they did he was setting presidence for others to get away with the same things.

That I guess is my point. Why? Is it because they can't find anyone? Is it because they are afraid of being sued for a "unjust firing"? Maybe it's time to get them out of truck'm'up school. At least given additional training you may have a employee who has yet to develope bad habits.

No Layoffs?

Maybe the terminal I work at was the only one, but during the slow months our bottom 3 FT city drivers were forced to the dock, status changed from FT to PT dock, were paid $3.00+/hr less than they were making, and sometimes worked less than 25 hours a week. Do you think that would happen in a union barn? Wake up drivers before it's too late. Right now there is nothing stopping the current management from doing whatever they please. How would you like to end up like those 3 drivers?

concerned citizen said:
Maybe the terminal I work at was the only one, but during the slow months our bottom 3 FT city drivers were forced to the dock, status changed from FT to PT dock, were paid $3.00+/hr less than they were making, and sometimes worked less than 25 hours a week. Do you think that would happen in a union barn? Wake up drivers before it's too late. Right now there is nothing stopping the current management from doing whatever they please. How would you like to end up like those 3 drivers?

hopefully these guys wake up. remember, Big Brown LOVES part-time workers !

concerned citizen said:
Welcome to the boards concerned citizen!! You are 100% right. No one deserves to be treated like a piece of $ht. I wonder how the manager would feel if he took a paycut and had to work twice as many hours? This is why we need to get behind the union and put those unfair labor practices to bed once and for all. UPS CEO Mike E. has no problem with us wanting to go union. Leo S. on the other hand will lose bonus $$$ if we do. Funny how Leo cares if he is short changed!! Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Unjust Firing

Sling Blade said:
How can they sued for an "unjust firing" in an "at-will" state, just out of curiosity?

Or is that a union thing?
Even in an at-will state, federal laws mandate that not only can you not be discriminated against based on sex, race, religion, or handicap, but also you cannot be terminated based on those same things. So, an unjust firing would be one involving one of those things or also for union related activity. In the U.S., you are guaranteed the right to organize.

concerned citizen said:
Even in an at-will state, federal laws mandate that not only can you not be discriminated against based on sex, race, religion, or handicap, but also you cannot be terminated based on those same things. So, an unjust firing would be one involving one of those things or also for union related activity. In the U.S., you are guaranteed the right to organize.

UM...... Are we talking about the real U.S.A. or Leo ruled UPSF land??????

You know Leo is up in years..

he has been working in trucking many long years.
He came on board at Overnite at a time when the Rail Road was running us out of business.
rail Roads go rail head to rail head.

Trucking goes dock to dock,or dock to door.
Trucking has a more face to face operation than the Rails.

Leo,and his hand picked people also his influence in the trucking industry turned Overnite from unprofitable to profitable in a short time.

Now I've posted this before,but everyone is cutting him down lately,and I want to give credit where credit is due.

I don't know how old our top managers are?

But I know they can't still be with us just for the money.

This just may be my opinion but They all must have done very well with their stock,also the money they've already earned.

They could have easily been retired by now.

I know most drivers their age would already have purchased their rocking chair,setting with their clicker in hand,and sleeping till noon,enjoying their retirement.

But Leo,and Gordon are still here.
So I've got to think it must be more than money thats keeping them in the game.

Ya think maybe they want to see where our company is going?

The bible doesn't state that money is the root of all evil,its the (LOVE) of money.