TForce | When I came from the union to OVNT.I saw little discipline

You state we have to sign cards Stldud44?

You say that we must sign cards for a vote,or signing cards is the vote?

If most of us don't want to be represented by the Teamsters than why would we sign any of your cards?

Just from the back,and forth posts about non-union,union debates how would you ever know if you had enough interest to waste your Teamsters time,and ours in organizing?
So many questions.
At least if there was a means to find out what the intire employee base wanted like what I've posted we'd all have an idea of where we'er all at.

Seeing you say things aren't done that way,well you have a good Teamster life.
I hope they don't let you down like they did me.

The thing that was hard to deal with in my case.
was the fact that all dues paying members voted our local officials into office,and our dues were paying their salaries,yet they were to high,and mighty at the union hall to help all of their members out when they needed them the most.

Oh well thats politics for you no matter what office they hold they seem to forget that they were voted into their job.

I must say it was hard to forgive them,and hold nothing against them.
I just pray that God will have mercy on the souls of thoses that did me wrong.

With Gods help I was able to get past it.

Although the memory will never go away.

In order to have an election 30% has to sign the cards. In some cases where the company will recognize a "card check" and you get 50% plus one to sign the cards the company will recognize the union. If you want the union, sign the card. If not dont sign it.

ftaf08, It's 50% plus 1 for an election, Not 30%. The comnpany could recognize a card check but does not have to.

ftaf08 said:
In order to have an election 30% has to sign the cards. In some cases where the company will recognize a "card check" and you get 50% plus one to sign the cards the company will recognize the union. If you want the union, sign the card. If not dont sign it.

They will never get enough cards signed. Why should we we have good pay and excellent benefits. This board doesn't represent UPSF. Not even by a fraction.

The pay and benefits have gotten better not worse. The majority stills rules...:bgroovy:

Skeeter said:
They will never get enough cards signed. Why should we we have good pay and excellent benefits. This board doesn't represent UPSF. Not even by a fraction.

The pay and benefits have gotten better not worse. The majority stills rules...:bgroovy:
Who do you represent/work for? UPS Freight or overnite? Oh, wait a minute it must be overnite if your avatar is any indication. Your right about one thing, for the majority of you the benefits have gotten better for some of us worse. I guess at your company (overnite) the little guy does not count.

ftaf08 said:

ftaf08, It's 50% plus 1 for an election, Not 30%. The comnpany could recognize a card check but does not have to.

steve5 said:
Who do you represent/work for? UPS Freight or overnite? Oh, wait a minute it must be overnite if your avatar is any indication. Your right about one thing, for the majority of you the benefits have gotten better for some of us worse. I guess at your company (overnite) the little guy does not count.
If you don't mind me asking. How did your wages and benefits get worse?

greezy trucker said:
DELAY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wanting us to donate.
OK thanks. A lot of our line haul drivers have said the same. Well maybe you will see a change with that really soon. It is my understanding that some if not all of the UPS's line drivers get paid hourly. maybe that's the way UPS Freight will go. either way something dose need to change.

Silverhawk1 said:
OK thanks. A lot of our line haul drivers have said the same. Well maybe you will see a change with that really soon. It is my understanding that some if not all of the UPS's line drivers get paid hourly. maybe that's the way UPS Freight will go. either way something dose need to change.

Well we are two different animals sooooo.....don't think the pay will cross over and their job set up is not totally because of UPS it is tha part you don't want to hear about.....

Maybe theres not much difference in the road operation..

of the UPS parent comany.
But the P & D operation is far apart.
Us local P & D drivers maybe have 13,to 16 deliveries depending on how much area our routes cover.
We deal with heavy freight dock drops,or fork lift ground unloads.

The package drivers have shorter runs but have between 100,to 150 deliveries,most of there drops can be run into door ways.
Some stops may have only an envelope to deliver.

Also the package folks can't have any time off during peak times like Christmas.
I'm sure theres a lot more differences?

Believe me I think the package drivers earn every cent of the money UPS is paying them.

As for us LTL freight drivers in my opinon,unless the volume of freight picks up our wage is fine right now for what we are doing.

greezy trucker said:
Well we are two different animals sooooo.....don't think the pay will cross over and their job set up is not totally because of UPS it is tha part you don't want to hear about.....
GT if they did something about your delay pay, like put you to work on the dock during that time or tighten up your schedule times to minamize your delay and started paying overtime after 8 hours for the hourly employee's would you be a little more content?

Silverhawk1 said:
GT if they did something about your delay pay, like put you to work on the dock during that time or tighten up your schedule times to minamize your delay and started paying overtime after 8 hours for the hourly employee's would you be a little more content?
Drivers do not belong on any dock. That should be left for dock workers only. Driving 4-5 hours and then pounding the dock for a few hours and driving another 4-5 hours at all hours of the night is a safety issue. A ******* mission!

Silverhawk1 said:
Not all feeder drivers get paid hourly. When feeder drivers bid on runs that meet or exceed a certain mileage they are paid 60cpm

I talked to a UPS Feeder Driver and every night he has to work in a trailer loading for about one hour. Some nights he said that he gets to jockey trailers around for the hour. He said, "We get paid, but we have to work for it."

Silverhawk1 said:
Yeah,but working the dock to me is not a place for a driver that has spent 5 hours sitting and then jump in there and start doing something that is also hard on the body. But I can say that it is understandable that they want production and all that. If the run is under 500 or less, yeah it is great way to make your run pay more. I think the responsibility is theirs to get us all in and out. The feel here is "if we get you out on time great but if we don't produce on our end then , well it's on you to make it better". And that is the part that bugs me, how much can we squeeze out of your life, being 14 hrs a day. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it is how it feels at work that makes life there good or not.

And I read guys saying they don't like being forced into the union or it forced on them....But the very first meeting that had an O manager, what was the meeting about? Telling me how bad and wrong the union is...Now is that not forcing their opinions on me and telling me how to think?

And by the way thanks for asking me about how I feel and not just throwing out something about me being negative or whatever, I appreciate it.

bamaboy said:
I talked to a UPS Feeder Driver and every night he has to work in a trailer loading for about one hour. Some nights he said that he gets to jockey trailers around for the hour. He said, "We get paid, but we have to work for it."

And that is not a bad thing....Would I like to get paid for nothing.....Well that answers itself...But 282 one way is a long drive and then if I do work the dock for 2hrs all the time, then they expect me too. So what happens when winter is here and it takes me 5.5 hrs and it comes to working the dock or having to get a motel half way back?

BusterNite said:
Drivers do not belong on any dock. That should be left for dock workers only. Driving 4-5 hours and then pounding the dock for a few hours and driving another 4-5 hours at all hours of the night is a safety issue. A ******* mission!
I here what you are saying,and it isnt for everyone but we have a lot of bids that do just that. and there is one of our drivers that dose it at both terminals. He is a work'o holic.