TForce | When I came from the union to OVNT.I saw little discipline

bamaboy said:
I talked to a UPS Feeder Driver and every night he has to work in a trailer loading for about one hour. Some nights he said that he gets to jockey trailers around for the hour. He said, "We get paid, but we have to work for it."
That isnt asking to much. It sounds like they keep everyone productive.

greezy trucker said:
Yeah,but working the dock to me is not a place for a driver that has spent 5 hours sitting and then jump in there and start doing something that is also hard on the body. But I can say that it is understandable that they want production and all that. If the run is under 500 or less, yeah it is great way to make your run pay more. I think the responsibility is theirs to get us all in and out. The feel here is "if we get you out on time great but if we don't produce on our end then , well it's on you to make it better". And that is the part that bugs me, how much can we squeeze out of your life, being 14 hrs a day. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it is how it feels at work that makes life there good or not.

And I read guys saying they don't like being forced into the union or it forced on them....But the very first meeting that had an O manager, what was the meeting about? Telling me how bad and wrong the union is...Now is that not forcing their opinions on me and telling me how to think?

And by the way thanks for asking me about how I feel and not just throwing out something about me being negative or whatever, I appreciate it.
I do care about how you feel.. and really everyone here. that is why I spend as much time here as I do. and believe me I will be standing up during our meetings and speeking out in yours and my behalf. I do believe that there are changes that need to be made. Something tells me that change is coming. it might be the first of next year, but it will be coming. And I am not only talking about the company...

Silverhawk1 said:
I here what you are saying,and it isnt for everyone but we have a lot of bids that do just that. and there is one of our drivers that dose it at both terminals. He is a work'o holic.
I understand that the extra money is nice. But this dock work will sooner or later catch up to the driver and it may eventually take his job or his life or someone else's. You can tell who the LtL dock workers with a CDL are because they are all over the road. Life is short!

Silverhawk1 said:
and believe me I will be standing up during our meetings and speeking out in yours and my behalf.

And you might as well paint a bullseye on your back . Now let's say you are a shop steward , this would be your job . A job they can't persecute you for doing .

Silverhawk1 said:
I do believe that there are changes that need to be made. Something tells me that change is coming. it might be the first of next year, but it will be coming. And I am not only talking about the company...

Any change that benefits the company will come soon . Any change that benefits you will come in the form of a promise , rumor , heresay , ect....

Silverhawk1 said:
I do care about how you feel.. and really everyone here. that is why I spend as much time here as I do. and believe me I will be standing up during our meetings and speeking out in yours and my behalf. I do believe that there are changes that need to be made. Something tells me that change is coming. it might be the first of next year, but it will be coming. And I am not only talking about the company...
I think you are right....Denver TM for MC bailed, OM from Salt Lake MC moved to a small terminal (just seemed weird being he was th OM at the flagship terminal for MC) something is in the wind.....

BusterNite said:
I understand that the extra money is nice. But this dock work will sooner or later catch up to the driver and it may eventually take his job or his life or someone else's. You can tell who the LtL dock workers with a CDL are because they are all over the road. Life is short!
Man, I hope not. I came to line freight to relax, if I have to work the dock here I might as well go back to foodservice.

steve5 said:
Man, I hope not. I came to line freight to relax, if I have to work the dock here I might as well go back to foodservice.

I hope they aren't going to turn us into a Conway.

Skeeter said:
I hope they aren't going to turn us into a Conway.
They would have to purchase break bulk terminals like Kettleman and Blythe, Well I would not put it past them. I wouldn't want to see us running each other off the road just to the break bulk first. Last one there has to use a pallet jack!

Sorry about that stldude44,I wasn't watching the time..

when I was on the board this morning I had to get going to work.
The note said the meetings up in this part of the country will start next week.

Some upper management type will show up and present us with the same old good news,bad news speach.

First how everything is just fine,and dandy.
Than comes the part on how we've got to do our part to gain new business,and cut down on claims.
Than we get to ask questions.
Usually by the time the presentation is over,our TM is breathing hard indecating he wants us to get going on our routes.

I always ask my same old question,about how come our competing union LTL companies can have so much more business than us with their highier costs per employee being their under the NMFA?
I used to ask if Overnite was hoggish on their rates.
Now I'll have to ask if UPS Freight is?

No matter who is giving the meeting I always get.. thats a good question I'll have to get back with you on that.

Thats when I throw in my other question on isn't it better to haul something for less, than to haul nothing with our high rates?

Thats when whoever is here,says well will let them go out of business hauling at their lower rates with more expenses.

After 20 years I must sound like a broken record to my TM when the questions come up?

Although that part of the meeting seems to be getting shorter?

At least my TM springs for some free food for these meetings.

Thats worth something.

Oh my aren't these meeting a lot of fun?

All us drivers get to chow down and chat with one another.

We don't all have the same start,and end times so its nice to get everyone together,like one big happy family.

steve5 said:
They would have to purchase break bulk terminals like Kettleman and Blythe, Well I would not put it past them. I wouldn't want to see us running each other off the road just to the break bulk first. Last one there has to use a pallet jack!

Really, I sure hope that never happens.

nightprowler said:
And you might as well paint a bullseye on your back . Now let's say you are a shop steward , this would be your job . A job they can't persecute you for doing .

Any change that benefits the company will come soon . Any change that benefits you will come in the form of a promise , rumor , heresay , ect....
I have been standing up a speaking out for 20 years.... I usually get the same old I have to get back with you line. but something tells me that even though they might be saying this. They will be paying attention...

Silverhawk1 said:
I have been standing up a speaking out for 20 years.... I usually get the same old I have to get back with you line. but something tells me that even though they might be saying this. They will be paying attention...
Until Leo and the wonder"O" managment mentallity is in place your pissing in the wind....

Hey When the company says free,I'm there.

My TM's been bring in free doughnuts on fridays.
What a guy.
I wounder if he's shelling out his hard earned Geroge Washingtons,or the company is spring for this token of apperciation?

Oh who cares,free means free,and I'm always their for my sugar alotment.

Apostolic said:
My TM's been bring in free doughnuts on fridays.
What a guy.
I wounder if he's shelling out his hard earned Geroge Washingtons,or the company is spring for this token of apperciation?

Oh who cares,free means free,and I'm always their for my sugar alotment.
He's buying it on the OT and delay pay. There not paying us.