when this is over

Credits
I'm just curious, when this is over and all the drivers/dock and office workers go back to work at OHFL, how are you going to face the managers, venders, other workers that are not union and customers that you have called everything under the sun? How is the driver that deliver to Gap in Portland going to go in to deliver Gap and look at the lady that he yelled at and called her names and say "Hi! How are you doing?" Are you guys going to go back to work like nothing happened? I didn't see Boeing IAM members yelling and calling names at people that drove by yet teamsters at most if not all the terminals have called managers, venders and customers s****, overdressed s****, f-ing b and other names that are not repeatable. I guess once you walked out on 9/22 that you would never deal with anyone (managers, venders, customers) at OHFL and shut them down, yell and scream all you want. But, what if they signed the contract and OHFL gave in, and my suggestion that they fire all the managers were met with ridicule, are you actually going to walk into Matt, or Mike or Bill's office and look them in the eye like nothing happened???

Like I said, yell and scream and harass all you want if you were never going to come back. But if you want you job back, you might think twice before you call someone a fat f... b....

Just a thought

I'm just curious, when this is over and all the drivers/dock and office workers go back to work at OHFL, how are you going to face the managers, venders, other workers that are not union and customers that you have called everything under the sun? How is the driver that deliver to Gap in Portland going to go in to deliver Gap and look at the lady that he yelled at and called her names and say "Hi! How are you doing?" Are you guys going to go back to work like nothing happened? I didn't see Boeing IAM members yelling and calling names at people that drove by yet teamsters at most if not all the terminals have called managers, venders and customers s****, overdressed s****, f-ing b and other names that are not repeatable. I guess once you walked out on 9/22 that you would never deal with anyone (managers, venders, customers) at OHFL and shut them down, yell and scream all you want. But, what if they signed the contract and OHFL gave in, and my suggestion that they fire all the managers were met with ridicule, are you actually going to walk into Matt, or Mike or Bill's office and look them in the eye like nothing happened???

Like I said, yell and scream and harass all you want if you were never going to come back. But if you want you job back, you might think twice before you call someone a fat f... b....

Just a thought

When this is over if I am treated like a human being then the above listed people will be treated the same. The only exception will be the scum who have crossed the line. Never plan on speaking to any of them again.

I have been out on the line and on ambulatory pickets
many hours and can honestly say that I have never heard one of us call a present or past Oak Harbor Customer
names. The replacement workers have been called many
names but they won't be around if this ever settles.

Did you actually spend time at the Boeing picket line? Um they do yell at the linecrossers the same as Teamsters. It isn't any different other than the type of business, they don't have trucks going in and out. They have the linecrossers going in and out and once the strike is settled the linecrossers are austrisized. So the union members really don't worry about them because they are of no matter to them, like they don't exist. The ones that aren't union that have to go to work have signs in their cars supporting the strikers so they don't get yelled at on their way to work. Both of my parents have worked there for 25+ yrs and have gone through many of strikes growing up. They get down right nasty there! This is a peaceful strike compared to some of theirs.

I have never seen an ambulatory picket bad mouth a customer yet. We have wanted their help in cutting off the flow of frt. As for the line crossers,they have shown their contempt for their fellow workers and I will shun them forever. Not one of them has the qualities that I admire in fellow humans. I would guess that even our mgt. staff has no respect for people who sell out for a nickel.

I for one, know my husband will go back when its over and work just like he did before the strike, if people have a problem with him, he'll not worry about and do his job. That is what has kept him there for so many years, his customers love him, and I can well imagine that OHFL PDX is missing him along with most of his brothers.

People are respected for the job they perform and how well they do it. If you hare good at what you do, then there will be no problem.

I agree with all of the others. We don't yell at customers. Some are not happy with us picketing in front of their place of business, and some have been downright nasty, but we are always polite but firm with these people.

Remember that old guy out at Tallman Ladders, odawg?

He wasn't happy at all with us and was threatening to call the police and taking pictures of us to boot, and we were downright polite with the gentleman, I thought.

The line-crossers are filth, and will be treated that way for the rest of their careers, if we ever get back.

The non-union guys who have to cross our lines, like the shop and office? We are pretty nice to them in Portland, for the most part. The line drivers who come in and out get crap, but they have to understand that this is a war, and we don't draw narrow distinctions in time of war.

Those non-union guys who came up here to work as P&D drivers becuase work was slow in their terminal or because they were drawn by the company's offer of letting them hop to the top of the seniority list as permanent replacements deserve the crap they are getting, as they nmade a choice to come work there and undermine our fight. If they don't like it, then they can go crawl back to their hometown and get on unemployment or go work elsewhere.

I have no pity for them, or the line-crossers. If we ever get back, which is looking slimmer and slimmer, these... well, the term is well-known... will get everything they deserve, and IT WILL NEVER END for them!

Stick a knife in my back and see what kind of treatment you get!

As to management? They will be treated according to what they deserve and how they treat us will go far in how we treat them...

As an interested observer of this strike, here's how I see things progressing: the strikers have made their point and have drawn blood. The management has made their point and have drawn blood. I see it just about even, but the bigger point is, what will all the strikers do if there isn't an OHFl to come back to?

At the very best, the union workers who have a lot of seniority might have a job to come back to and it might not even be full time. Those with low seniority ranking will have no job to come back to.

While I admire your resolve, I have to ask, is this what your ultimate goal is? If so, I would think that everyone out picketing would be working someplace else by now.

Outcome?

As an interested observer of this strike, here's how I see things progressing: the strikers have made their point and have drawn blood. The management has made their point and have drawn blood. I see it just about even, but the bigger point is, what will all the strikers do if there isn't an OHFl to come back to?

At the very best, the union workers who have a lot of seniority might have a job to come back to and it might not even be full time. Those with low seniority ranking will have no job to come back to.

While I admire your resolve, I have to ask, is this what your ultimate goal is? If so, I would think that everyone out picketing would be working someplace else by now.

ITS NOT ABOUT THE OUTCOME,ITS ABOUT WINNING THE BATTLE, STAYING THE COURSE. THESE TRUCK DRIVERS AND DOCK WORKERS ARE FIGHTING AN EVIL GREEDY FAMILY THAT DONT GIVE A DAM ABOUT THEM. :TR10driving03:

ITS NOT ABOUT THE OUTCOME,ITS ABOUT WINNING THE BATTLE, STAYING THE COURSE. THESE TRUCK DRIVERS AND DOCK WORKERS ARE FIGHTING AN EVIL GREEDY FAMILY THAT DONT GIVE A DAM ABOUT THEM. :TR10driving03:

Let me get this right. The union strikers don't care about the outcome? History has shown that this is not the best "battle" plan.

Again, I ask this question. If it's not about the outcome, then why wouldn't everyone just go work somewhere else?

Again, I ask this question. If it's not about the outcome, then why wouldn't everyone just go work somewhere else?

My take is, 174, and I stress, 174 started this to show Joint 28 and IBT that they had the power to bring a company down. It might be Rick's plan to climb the ladder to IBT and skip Joint altogether. Like they are telling Gap and other customers, they don't care who they use, just not OHFL. They don't say use any other union carrier, just any other carrier even if they are non-union. They, 174 want to see OHFL gone but they might have started something without thinking it through esp. in this day in age. Unions are supposed to represent their members but 174 has not done that. They tell their members what they should say, do and most importantly, what to think. They have not even shown them what the company offered before taking them out of work. They say OHFL cut off retiree health care but in the last contract, they put it back in just like last contract. I guess they forgot to read that far.

My take is, 174, and I stress, 174 started this to show Joint 28 and IBT that they had the power to bring a company down. It might be Rick's plan to climb the ladder to IBT and skip Joint altogether. Like they are telling Gap and other customers, they don't care who they use, just not OHFL. They don't say use any other union carrier, just any other carrier even if they are non-union. They, 174 want to see OHFL gone but they might have started something without thinking it through esp. in this day in age. Unions are supposed to represent their members but 174 has not done that. They tell their members what they should say, do and most importantly, what to think. They have not even shown them what the company offered before taking them out of work. They say OHFL cut off retiree health care but in the last contract, they put it back in just like last contract. I guess they forgot to read that far.

maybe you missed the last letter from the vp's to teir customers. The clause for retiree healthcare is back in but they aren't going to guarantee at what cost or coverage because "No Plan participant should believe they have a vested right in these Plans or that the benefits of the Plans will necessarily be granted indefinitely." The Trust makes no guarantee of future benefits. So they can say it is back in but for how long?

I'm ignoring the idiot commenting on union politics, and will go straight to the question about the outcome.

The fact is, the union employees have hurt OHFL far more than they have hurt us.

The fact is, the plan all along was to try and get them to come to the table and get a contract. however, not even the federal government can really force them to reach an agreement. So we all have understood since well before the strike started that if the company refused to negotiate in good faith and refused to come to an equitable agreement, we would destroy them utterly.

Surely you can understand why we have to do that, don't you? It's a simple matter of backing up our talk with action, and if a union threatens this or that without ever following through, it's an empty threat quickly seen through by management.

From any union's perspective, you cannot allow an employer to break the union or force the union into a completely unbalanced leverage situation. The other employers see that, and pretty soon you have a pattern repeating itself until there is no union.

Most of us out on the line either have jobs or are looking for work. We are under no illusion about where we are at, where we are going, or what the outcome is likely to be.

Only the outside observers seem to not understand...

the point is very valid about not backing down.once the fight has begun it must be followed to the conclusion. weakness must never be shown or it will be exploited by the other side .

Just a thought

Have you looked around lately? This is not going to be over. Oak Harbor is going down and slowly, everyone will get other jobs.

how about if you look around the front gate here in Auburn and see what fellow teamsters have created. we put our ownselves is a stupid box. the county didn't just come up with this for no reason, heck u might have been there as well when Rick talked about therestraining order put on. if people are so pisseed off about this, then why not go work somewhere else? oh wait, massive layoffs again by large carriers. talk about stabbing someone in the back, just think about the bottom half of the boards who won't have a job to come back to. now who is really stabbing someone in the back. maybe the guy standing next to you is going to do it. who knows.

I said SLOWLY....Yes, this is a weak economy and yes, there are other companies laying people off because of it. But it will get better, probably after the new year.

Like I've said in previous posts, it's going to be a long hard winter....but if you stick with it, maybe getting a part time job to supplement the strike pay, it will be worth it in the long run. Crossing the line because you're scared (which by the way, Cody, if you're reading this...the non-union medical doesn't cover pre-existing conditions!) is straight up cowardly!!!