Holland | When will Holland close?

Listen, i really hope i'm wrong, but rumors are all over the place that Holland will close. Anyone remember Preston?? Just when they were told they were finally making money, Yellow closed them. From what i hear, Holland is losing lots of money. True it is probably because of YRC'S creative accounting practices, but if the coroporate big shots want Holland gone, they'll be gone. Like i said, i hope i'm more wrong on this one then i've ever been.

Lets look at the big picture why would Yellow be adding on to there terminals in some citys for the merger if they were going to do this to Holland! Besides in the midwest were Holland is bigger than the other two combined alot of customers are loyal to Holland and the fact that they have the lowest claim ratio in the industry. Go to Holland's web site and look at there awards then go to Yellow and Roadway and do the same.If we all work together we can force some of the non union boys out. Why did CCX close 40 terminals? To cut cost they are hurting also.

YRC destroyed the usf companies, all were viable, holland especially so, before this POS company bought them, and destroyed their employees lives. Anyone remember the caliber companies. Roadway almost destroyed viking, which is now 1/2 of of fedex. Central was run into the ground by fasso an ex yellow man. and both roberts companies were closed down. Must be something wrong with how managers are developed at this (these) companies. It no wonder that, YRC itself is almost ready to fold. If you have a wage give back here, you are done, I worked for ANR when they had a wage give back, and if attitude alone could close a company, it did.

You also need to add in that Holland carried the USF Brand of companies , Holland was the most profitable of these companies and was the core reason that YRC pursued the Buyout.

Just Prior to being bought I remember that we even got rewarded with a Bowl exclaiming the most profitable week in the history of Holland , and that is a long history. Many of the regional LTL carriers have tried copping the model that Holland set since 1927 and to some extent it has worked for them , it was not until just prior to the buyout that Hollands numbers started to decline due to the staggering economy , and with anything that YRC does it comes down to numbers.

That being said once YRC took control and tried to change the operating procedures and started to look sole at the numbers instead of how to service the customer as was always the precedent that Holland followed , we never seen the decline that followed due to Management of the company by operatives from YRC and the resulting decline in numbers that are displayed due to the mismanagement that followed.

Yes you do need to take into account the amount of money payed to YRC in the overall figures once you take that away you would most likely see that the overall numbers are not as bad as they have been portrayed , as mentioned Branding is a key player in all of this also many customers that Holland has garnered over the years are loyal to Holland exclusively and even with the sales force coming in and trying to change who they ship with they still choose Holland over most of the other brands to be found out there including those in the YRC family. If Holland did close they would not just change their shipping to other companies in the YRC brand they would shop around and most likely find other shippers this is known by management as well as by us in the trenches.

It is a rough time across the board right now and will remain so for at least the next six to twelve months , many uncertainty's in the economy and in the manufacturing industry have so much to play in the over all picture of things , but there will come a time once again that freight will be heavy and no one company can handle all the needs as we are all well aware of it takes all of the companies Union and Non to keep this country moving , it is unwise to even think for one moment the down fall of any company would be a beneficial asset to any other company especially in the times we are facing at the moment.

It would be interesting to see what the actual numbers are if all the money paid by Holland to YRC were taken away and put side by side with the YRC Numbers especially with the changeover with the Merger to see who is actually in the Red and who is actually in the Black , As I mentioned and others have Holland Carried the USF Brand it could actually be true that it and New Penn is doing the same once again. Just my two cents and no offense ment to my Brothers at YRC it is just something to consider.

Listen, i really hope i'm wrong, but rumors are all over the place that Holland will close. Anyone remember Preston?? Just when they were told they were finally making money, Yellow closed them. From what i hear, Holland is losing lots of money. True it is probably because of YRC'S creative accounting practices, but if the coroporate big shots want Holland gone, they'll be gone. Like i said, i hope i'm more wrong on this one then i've ever been.
If they close down holland who will sign the towtruck bills?:hysterical:

Did i say i was worried? No. Concerned for my brothers at Holland, Yes. In case you didn't get the memo, this is a message board where people talk about all kinds of things. If you don't like the topic, ignore it.........

Don't forget gosabres, rumors is reality in stealth, I'm with you.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Thanks for the post!

I would like to put my two cents in.

O.K. we lost freightliner here in ME. Bunch of bills out the door.
Now, freightliner is a sub of Chrysler right?

Vitrans cut the rate to a 92% discount for freightliner so they could get the business. It worked boom, they left us and went to Vitrans.

If and when (and I hope not) Chrysler files chapter 11,
Who's gonna pay Vitrans for hauling all that freightliner freight? Hmmm... Maybe a blessing in disguise.

Chapter 11, get in line and see if you get paid. Meanwhile the cost of hauling that freight is now on Vitrans back trying to collect.
Hmm, hmm, hmm. What a tangled web we weave in business.

Let's stay positive here and see what freight these other companies are hauling that may end up in recievership and cannot collect on the freight bill.

This economy is soooooo screwed up!
:chairshot: :TR10driving03:

How did this happen so fast....One day good news and the next we are dead in the water? My Regional Vice President said he doesnt think we will close. I told him he along with all management including those in China should give back and HE AGREED. My husband and I both work for Holland. I worked for Churchill and Preston. Let our Union Leaders give something back from their 6 figure salaries.

kathyr.

holland has the better business model for high revenue regional freight (fedex and conway would lose money doing longhaul and we would be very profitable if we could shorten our lanes).

first they got to get us merged then, integrate holland (same thing we tried to do with preston but, they resisted).

so we got long haul lanes and regional lanes working smoothly in one operation.

breakbulks for 700+ mile freight (pups) and direct loading (53's) for everything else.

have linehaul drivers doing different trips on different nights of the week either to a direct point or to a hub as freight levels demand.

also make every end of line into a quad loading terminal so freight is always traveling in the right direction.

call ur union leaders and let them know that a give back will not be acceptable.
If this thing goes through, non-union drivers will be laughing in our faces and their faces as well.
I do agree that our union leaders need to be replaced from top down to last man on the totem pole.

Even if we do take the giveback, we will be making over $19.00 per hour a whole lot more than the $10.00 or $12.00 per hour well be make if they close the doors. Plus we keep our benifits, try to get benifits from the $10.00 to $12.00 an hour companies. Think positive, Holland is still the best company in the world to work for. Be thankful for being able to work for a good company.

Even if we do take the giveback, we will be making over $19.00 per hour a whole lot more than the $10.00 or $12.00 per hour well be make if they close the doors. Plus we keep our benifits, try to get benifits from the $10.00 to $12.00 an hour companies. Think positive, Holland is still the best company in the world to work for. Be thankful for being able to work for a good company.

How many Companies have survived long term after they have asked for a giveback. How will the give back be used? Will YRC guarantee that Holland will not be closed? How is Holland still the best? Many of your Brothers are still out of jobs. If you vote for this cut you will also be out of a job. It is time to grow a pair! If Holland and YRC shut down you can take one of these jobs you are talking about and organize the Company to get fair wages and benefits. STOP just standing there waiting for a hand-out. These wages were negotiated because they are fair. Where is the backbone of the IBT and my Brothers? Why the apathy for your way of life? Do you think that the fair wages and benefits were given because those before you stood there and said please? They demanded what is fair. Just because YRC, Bill Z., and the IBT have screwed you once again is not reason enough to be grateful. It is time to demand what is fair. There must be a new CEO, Board of Directors at YRC, and new Leadership at the IBT.

I still say that the Holland family should buy back the company. USF was operating much better under the ownership of the Holland family before Yellow got their hands on them.