TForce | When will union drive bye ?

You don't want to get me confused, that would make for one real big mess. BTW, 251,
you need to clear out some of your PM's Your mail box is full and I wasn't able to send you a message.

I thought a card check was when the companies would not request an election based on the numbers of signed cards returned. They just accept the union and start negotiations.
Am I wrong about this

I always tyhought the card check was to see if an election would be requested. Sometimes if the percentage of the cards is so lopsided one way or the other, then maybe the election could be waived by mutual agreement. If the outcome of the card check was close ...like 52% to 48% an election would occur, but if it was like 80 or 85% in favor, maybe they would waive the vote.

Getting old sucks....I haven't been involved in a card check since 1976 when I helped organize a glue factory at age 21 and I really don't remember the exact definition.

I just found this definition

Employees in many workplaces ask management to enter into so-called "card check" agreements, in which management agrees to voluntarily recognize the union if a majority of employees sign authorization forms or "cards." Employers may enter into these agreements to maintain good relations with their employees, to maintain good relations with unions at their other worksites, or to maintain a favorable public image.

terminals at motor cargo are signing cards as we speak....if you do not want the union it does not mean you can not support the ones who do, it will be in your best interest.

stldude44 said:
Getting old sucks....I haven't been involved in a card check since 1976 when I helped organize a glue factory at age 21 and I really don't remember the exact definition.
Glue Factory+Fumes=Can't Remember

webidiot said:
terminals at motor cargo are signing cards as we speak....if you do not want the union it does not mean you can not support the ones who do, it will be in your best interest.

That doesn't make you a bad person in my book. If you feel you need the union then you have the right to sign cards and I will defend your right to. That's what this beautiful country is all about.

IF the majority sign cards then I won't be here crying about it. This is UPSF and I'm just waiting to see how it all goes down.

webidiot said:
What motor cargo terminals are signing...:bgroovy:

hugnlug said:
Glue Factory+Fumes=Can't Remember
You're probably right! And I worked in shipping and receiving.......you should've seen some of the burnouts in the cement dept. Some of them were pretty fried at an early age.

stldude44 said:
You're probably right! And I worked in shipping and receiving.......you should've seen some of the burnouts in the cement dept. Some of them were pretty fried at an early age.
As a kid myself, 18-19, I got a job as a carpenter at a fiberglass boat building factory. You didn't need to be buzzed before work there. Because of the fumes you would be fried within a half hour after starting. And after work you didn't want to get buzzed either. You just wanted to come down. But that is where I saw the LTL's delivering parts. That job looked pretty easy, LOL. Anyway the next thing I know I was pounding the dock for the old double diamonds-McClean Trucking. Geez, I'm feeling old!! Wow....what was I saying?

stldude44 said:

Hey what ever happened 2 the Glue Factory?

Did they Render down The "Horse" ??

lol couldn't resist that one

Buzz

Who passes out the cards? When that happens do you think UPS will fight it? The workers are the union not the teamsters. I don't think some of the the workers understand the power they can have. I feel alot of energy is wasted becuse some don't like the teamsters or some teamsters push to hard. Anybody can start a union. To throwaway your right for a union a right to vote is like throwing part of America away. With the right leaders a union is a no brainer.

hugnlug said:
But that is where I saw the LTL's delivering parts. That job looked pretty easy, LOL. Anyway the next thing I know I was pounding the dock for the old double diamonds-McClean Trucking. Geez, I'm feeling old!! Wow....what was I saying?
Hugnlug,
The glue factory is where I got the idea that driving a truck would be a good way to earn a living. It was 1976 and I was making about $3.50 an hour and the Union LTL drivers who made P&Ds were making $7.76......I was loading and unloading and they were helping, but I knew I was on the wrong end of the career scale there. I got a job driving a dump truck to learn about the gears and within a year I BSed my way into a tractor trailer job and the rest is history. We have alot in common in the beginnings of our so-called careers!

buzzard said:
Hey what ever happened 2 the Glue Factory?
Did they Render down The "Horse" ??
lol couldn't resist that one...Buzz
Good one....actually, they sold out to some guy who eventually went broke.

webidiot said:
Are we suppose to believe your word that all these terminals are signing cards ?You still have to have 51% of a terminal for anything to happen.......:cool:

Johnnybegood said:
Are we suppose to believe your word that all these terminals are signing cards ?You still have to have 51% of a terminal for anything to happen.......:cool:
Ok so get your cards signed and be proud you didn't :bgroovy: