ODFL | Where is O.D. losing money ?

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
You fellas have a better look at O.D. on a daily basis than just about anybody.Where are they losing money or where are they missing making money ?

better use of city drivers, three of us in one area with only enough pus for two. they sent one of them about 50 miles to p/u two skids when i was right across the street from it.. this happens alot

dont make sence

had 8 yrs at fedex freight and now with usf holland, both places do the same thing... its funny how dispatchers that sit next to each other -dont talk to each other!!!

had 8 yrs at fedex freight and now with usf holland, both places do the same thing... its funny how dispatchers that sit next to each other -dont talk to each other!!!

I've seen the same thing thru out the system,they work like there's a wall between them.Looks like management would pick up on it but they never do or don't care.

Seems weird someone inquiring what OD can do to make more money! Usually all we hear is how everyone's a dumb*** except themselves! There's much low hanging fruit especially in P&D drivers. Some of the best people at OD are drivers and some of the worse people at OD are P&D drivers.... They are the face of the Company while on the street and they think that as long as they know how to turn right/left and shift gears thats all they need to know.

Seems weird someone inquiring what OD can do to make more money! Usually all we hear is how everyone's a dumb*** except themselves! There's much low hanging fruit especially in P&D drivers. Some of the best people at OD are drivers and some of the worse people at OD are P&D drivers.... They are the face of the Company while on the street and they think that as long as they know how to turn right/left and shift gears thats all they need to know.

Don't know if it's weird or not but they're into making money.They look at the p/d drivers as driver/sales.Every company has a few bad apples but most of the drivers are excellent people and excellent drivers.

Thanks for the complement.You just insulted at least 40% of the people on here.You also insulted a mod in your last post.And your only other post you insulted all USF drivers.You will not be here long if you keep it up.:butt kiss:

Sorry, CBDriver, I have been on both sides of the fence. A good P&D driver not only makes ALOT of L/R turns, and ALOT of backing both on the good side as well as the blind side, from pups to 53`s. They also are out there selling the company to get more freight. This is not to cause any problems, but ALL OD employees work hard at what they do. Funny, just suggestsd to a dispatcher to let me come back to the yard to get 2 pups to pick up 30 skids instead of splitting the load into 2 different 40+ trailers, that will now have to be stripped and cross docked into 2 pups, GO FIGURE

1. A better system in equipment maintenance would solve a money pit problem witch would decrease in breakdowns flat's etc...
2. Better communication between dispatchers and dock sups.
3. Better lighted facilities witch would reduce "unforeseen circumstances"
4. Route guides that are correct and would prevent rookies from a preventable and sometimes vets.
5. A better coordinated freight plan that would reduce in driver(s) wait time at some, not all terminals and would have the freight on time and reduce in driver(s) fatigue. Except for weather conditions of course.
6. To have a fuel man at every break bulk facility to inspect equipment as it passes through to catch something that a driver may have missed.

1. A better system in equipment maintenance would solve a money pit problem witch would decrease in breakdowns flat's etc...
2. Better communication between dispatchers and dock sups.
3. Better lighted facilities witch would reduce "unforeseen circumstances"
4. Route guides that are correct and would prevent rookies from a preventable and sometimes vets.
5. A better coordinated freight plan that would reduce in driver(s) wait time at some, not all terminals and would have the freight on time and reduce in driver(s) fatigue. Except for weather conditions of course.
6. To have a fuel man at every break bulk facility to inspect equipment as it passes through to catch something that a driver may have missed.

7. Consider Route guides:
Exempel FAY to GVL. Route guide lets you go over HWY 74 to CLT. 229 Miles and aprox 60 to 70 redlights. Going tru there in rush hour you don't make one redlight in one time. Mostly need two or even thre starts and stops. Especialy when good loaded.
Fuel consum aprox 60 Gallons. Not mentioning Safety especially when tired
Verry aggressive 4wheelers on that road.
Going I95-I20-I26 = 3 Redlights. Aprox 250 Miles and @ 37 Gallons. And low trafic = easy ride. And thats why I don't like to go to FAY.

I agree with Skywalker, those are some good points. When I was P&D I was always trying to get more freight, especially if it was near closing time and the other freight company hadn't shown up yet.

How about loading all the outlying routes first, then the closer routes, have the drivers come in at staggered times based on when their routes are loaded. Instead of having drivers come in and standing around waiting.

Assign the same loader on each route. There is a trust and good working relation built between the driver and loader, and a lot of times a loader can catch mistakes in the planning of the load. It worked for me in PHX. I almost never had to go and have the trailer stripped and reloaded. My loader knew my route and how I ran it.