ODFL | Where is O.D. losing money ?

Fly By Nites suggestion to load outlying routes first is a great idea. I don't know how it would work all the time considering sometimes specific freight is hot. How about loading sets of pups with two delivery routes or a one biller and a multi biller. of course on peddle runs that are a few miles from terminal.

Right, Sparky hot freight is hot freight, in PHX we had a early shag come in to handle hot freight or it was loaded on the back of a trailer going out. The outlying area rule was not hard and fast, but it was a standard to work by. Once again it was used to stop seeing drivers come in and wait on the clock, I know that sounds sort of strange, but it gave me more time to serve my customers and time to get new ones.

Another thing that helped me by having the same loader, is working with him the sequence of the route. I had a rather large P&D with a 48'. I went home and mapped a better way of running the route without going in the same area 2 or 3 times a day. I started in one area, did all my stops including residentials, then moved on. We had a good appointment girl that would work with me also. At the end of the run I would be 1 to 2 miles from my daily pickup at a account. I ran my route counter clockwise, emptied out than ran my pick ups clockwise. My last pickup which was a daily check stop was less than a mile from where I started in the morning. I rarely had return freight and always made my times.

I've got to give credit to a TM that let some of us do this. Those that did this got everything done, those that didn't had a hard time on their runs.

I'm into mapping and speed, even if I have to go home and map things out on my computer. It just makes my day easier.

Why should we have to do their job for them? Don't the company pay a sup to route out our loads? Maybe he could spend his time at home looking at maps and learning our areas better. I bust my butt all day and when I get home I should do his job too??!!

What's next, I pull into the shop because the blower motor isn't working and they hand me a wrench and charge the terminal $400.00??

That's nuts..

Why should we have to do their job for them? Don't the company pay a sup to route out our loads? Maybe he could spend his time at home looking at maps and learning our areas better. I bust my butt all day and when I get home I should do his job too??!!

What's next, I pull into the shop because the blower motor isn't working and they hand me a wrench and charge the terminal $400.00??

That's nuts..

Do you work for O.D. ?
P/M me the name of the man that handed you the wrench if it happen at O.D.

well something ive seen
too many bosses and the bosses we do have are board so they are looking for things to get on people about. they lay off people when things go slow why dont they get the same?
also many bosses are doing jobs that (from what i hear) are not theirs to do. and in turn not doing what they were brought on for..... WTF?

well something ive seen
too many bosses and the bosses we do have are board so they are looking for things to get on people about. they lay off people when things go slow why dont they get the same?
also many bosses are doing jobs that (from what i hear) are not theirs to do. and in turn not doing what they were brought on for..... WTF?

I heard you've got 2 more coming.Make you feel better ?

and i thought it was just me who thought that managers are to manage and supervisors are to supervise.i do know for one thing they do not remember the things said in the meetings when you say you have a solution to a problem.

This must be the 'new'way to manage.They have been this way for a few years at my barn.Trust me corp.has been told many times how they do it and they eather don't care or it's what they want.

News Flash

Yesterday while hooking my set one of our P&D drivers came over and asked if I knew who the safety guy was? He was told that OD is losing 51 million dollars due to people idling their trucks. OD policy, shut truck off, place in gear, set the brakes, remove key, lock the door as you exit from the truck in the 3 point exit.

When I was P&D, I had a liftgate die on me. Mechanic said to idle the engine to keep the liftgate batteries charged.

Also does that mean we ALL get a 51 million dollar bonus???

Hey I'm just having alittle fun with this.:biglaugh::hysterical::hysterical:

Yesterday while hooking my set one of our P&D drivers came over and asked if I knew who the safety guy was? He was told that OD is losing 51 million dollars due to people idling their trucks. OD policy, shut truck off, place in gear, set the brakes, remove key, lock the door as you exit from the truck in the 3 point exit.

When I was P&D, I had a liftgate die on me. Mechanic said to idle the engine to keep the liftgate batteries charged.

If they were losing 51 big ones you would be seeing a LOT of new faces.

they have set the oddl truck to shut down after 8 min idle time and was told it is going to be applied to odfl soon this sucks when you are in a major traffic jam and you engine dies

I'm sure with the rise in fuel cost that that is probably the biggest money pit for any trucking company. So therefore the company must raise it's rates due to these increases to compensate a revenue instead of a loss. Therefore passing the rise in shipping cost down to the customer in the end. So if they were losing that much money to begin with by our trucks idling then they should make double that with the fuel surcharges and have 102 million in revenue. Just sit back and relax and let the big green machine roll and don't worry about what so and so said cause half the time these people are blowing smoke cause they have bosses too and they are trying to put a hat on that is too big for them to begin with.