XPO | Where is our freight

I did that too HE a couple months ago, best move I've ever made! Took a $2.50 an hour pay cut to leave, but it's ok, my first check was bigger than the biggest one I ever got with conway with all the hours I'm getting now! Don't miss it one bit! Never have to drive a sterling no more, never sitting at home, they call me on my off days to see if I want to work, every truck I drive is 15' or newer with a radio in every truck! No more dock work for six hours at -20 degrees. And my favorite, no more dealing crappy FOS's & TM's, my supervisors and management are strangely nice and respectable! And, and did I mention no more sterlings, no sitting, no more waiting every night to see if you're running! I know my schedule 4 weeks out every day, oh I could on, good luck everyone, miss my coworkers but definetly not the job! Best wishes and I'm hoping things get better for the drivers soon!

Congratulations. Yet another parole.

Your story reminds me of Shawshank. When Red finds the money Andy left by the tree.

They drill this numbers :horseshit: into the fos's. No logic anymore. I'm really starting to push back at this, and have gone to my regional and am prepared to go higher. It's asinine. I'm told " you don't understand". When I ask why I'm cramming and jamming, with an mty going home, I get a stunned look. No answer. Frustrating as all :censored:. I'm just going to do what I think is right and rattle some chains.

Let us now if you make any progress or even acknowledged.

Good call, UN...a 'non-answer' from an FOS is infuriating! Keep doing what you're doing. They'll get the message. Eventually.

Well, one of them will get the message. Generally, it seems, the driver finally gets the hint and takes his license elsewhere.

I was told, " you don't understand the numbers." :censored: right I don't. Told him don't give a rats ass about his numbers. Care more about the freight, that actually pays our wages.

But what about the internal customer ? LOL

We drivers sitting everywhere right now. If we have go over, oh well. Give it to that guy right there. Let him run once this week.

This board is like going to the barbershop. You know how the barber rants about politics but really has no idea what he's talking about, yet he knows how to fix the entire world? That's what reading the XPO board here is like.

Menlo is not the most profitable part of the business. Menlo does a ton of volume but at thin margins. Menlo is high growth with Amazon and such, but it's not the major profit contributor. Go read the quarterlies.

The Truckload situation is completely different than LTL. Stotlar bought CFI for $700 million and you couldn't get $300 million for it today. CNW just got snookered, plain and simple, and if XPO sold it they'd have to recognize a huge loss, so for now they'll run it. I imagine they'd love to sell it because while TL isn't a bad business, CNW grossly overpaid.

Complete fantasy.

Brad Jacobs has explained why they bought Con-way many times. More to the point, it's been explained in annual reports, and you're not allowed to lie in those. Even more to the point, what he says makes sense:

- They want Menlo for the accounts in fast-moving ecommerce. Really, it's just the accounts - it's merging in with the other logistics company they bought (New Breed). Menlo has nothing but accounts - everything else is bought as needed for customers, so there is no standing inventory or such. Menlo doesn't own warehouses, for example (not that they aren't easy to find and no one would buy a company for its warehouse footprint).

- When XPO wanted to sign long-term agreements with big shippers, the shippers said they were not going to give pre-Con-way XPO much business because XPO didn't own trucks and couldn't guarantee things. Everyone expects a driver shortage - in such a situation, pre-Con-way XPO (a broker) could find itself suddenly unprofitable. Having their own fleet - in Europe and the US now - solves that problem. This has been discussed ad nauseum inside XPO, in town halls, the media, SEC filings, etc. You'd have to be willfully resisting to avoid hearing that story.

And what is this "write it off" nonsense? When you write something off, you're getting a tax credit against a loss. That's like saying "you lost $1 but we'll give you 30 cents back". No company wants write-offs - they just use them if they have no choice. The idea that someone would spend $6 billion, take $1 billion (Menlo) out, and then "write off" the remaining $5bn is just lunacy.

XPO approached CNW about buying Menlo a couple years ago but the math didn't work. When they came back in 2015, from the start they were only interested in the whole enterprise, not just Menlo.

But yeah, it's all a grand conspiracy and only you barbers have figured it all out...

Dude, I am in love with you and want to have your baby. Holy ::shit::. Someone with a brain.

Again, thank you.

You must be right survy9 that's why they're closing terminals, eliminating positions, laying drivers off and have a bunch working a few days and if they do work some of it's on the dock. This is all done to accommodate what you just mentioned above.

You have to take into account how poorly we were run under the previous regime.

They drill this numbers :horseshit: into the fos's. No logic anymore. I'm really starting to push back at this, and have gone to my regional and am prepared to go higher. It's asinine. I'm told " you don't understand". When I ask why I'm cramming and jamming, with an mty going home, I get a stunned look. No answer. Frustrating as all :censored:. I'm just going to do what I think is right and rattle some chains.

Numbers indeed UN! Our guy at our barn read us the riot act last week at our A.M. briefing concerning our scorecard. "We could have aced it if we would have done such and such things better," he said. It seems that guys at the top management level positions apparently only care about one thing, having decent numbers on their scorecards. I understand that they are only trying to protect and promote themselves in their current positions...I get that. But what about treating us drivers decently w/ RESPECT as Tony Brooks said he'd make a top priority under his leadership of XPO LTL?
RESPECT in listening to our concerns about operations...i.e. not cramming and crunching too much freight into one pup when clearly 2 pups
would have been better.It's business...nothing personal", is what they'd tell us why they do what they do. But isn't it our business too? Solution? Get one savvy DSR from each barn, w/ all their years of experience in the LTL industry, and send them to St. Louis for an Ops Summit. I'll bet if they did, the bottom line outcome of that meeting would be that there would be a whole boatload of unheard of and wonderful new ideas that management would run w/ to make us better.

This board is like going to the barbershop. You know how the barber rants about politics but really has no idea what he's talking about, yet he knows how to fix the entire world? That's what reading the XPO board here is like.

Menlo is not the most profitable part of the business. Menlo does a ton of volume but at thin margins. Menlo is high growth with Amazon and such, but it's not the major profit contributor. Go read the quarterlies.

The Truckload situation is completely different than LTL. Stotlar bought CFI for $700 million and you couldn't get $300 million for it today. CNW just got snookered, plain and simple, and if XPO sold it they'd have to recognize a huge loss, so for now they'll run it. I imagine they'd love to sell it because while TL isn't a bad business, CNW grossly overpaid.

Complete fantasy.

Brad Jacobs has explained why they bought Con-way many times. More to the point, it's been explained in annual reports, and you're not allowed to lie in those. Even more to the point, what he says makes sense:

- They want Menlo for the accounts in fast-moving ecommerce. Really, it's just the accounts - it's merging in with the other logistics company they bought (New Breed). Menlo has nothing but accounts - everything else is bought as needed for customers, so there is no standing inventory or such. Menlo doesn't own warehouses, for example (not that they aren't easy to find and no one would buy a company for its warehouse footprint).

- When XPO wanted to sign long-term agreements with big shippers, the shippers said they were not going to give pre-Con-way XPO much business because XPO didn't own trucks and couldn't guarantee things. Everyone expects a driver shortage - in such a situation, pre-Con-way XPO (a broker) could find itself suddenly unprofitable. Having their own fleet - in Europe and the US now - solves that problem. This has been discussed ad nauseum inside XPO, in town halls, the media, SEC filings, etc. You'd have to be willfully resisting to avoid hearing that story.

And what is this "write it off" nonsense? When you write something off, you're getting a tax credit against a loss. That's like saying "you lost $1 but we'll give you 30 cents back". No company wants write-offs - they just use them if they have no choice. The idea that someone would spend $6 billion, take $1 billion (Menlo) out, and then "write off" the remaining $5bn is just lunacy.

XPO approached CNW about buying Menlo a couple years ago but the math didn't work. When they came back in 2015, from the start they were only interested in the whole enterprise, not just Menlo.

But yeah, it's all a grand conspiracy and only you barbers have figured it all out...

The most informative and intelligent piece that I've read on this board contradicting ' the negative barbershop blowhard types' that constantly run this company down. And you're right, there are many 'Barbershop speculators' here on this board, but we're not all negative ones: misinformed yes, but not negative for the most part... which is a good thing. The thorough research and well articulated argument validating Mr. Jacobs' real reasons and plans for doing what he did concerning his acquisition of Conway is not only appreciated, but I am sure is encouraging to all of us who work here.

Welcome to XPO TB forum Survy09, thanks for your contributions, and I for one,( and I'm quite certain many others,) am looking forward to any future posts from you. :1036316054:

How can you be so obtuse? Ever NOT finish watching it when you come across it when surfing?

I also stop and watch Talladega Nights : The Ballad of Ricky Bobby every chance I see it. To call a movie the best ever opens a far larger conversation from so many genres of cinema. Shawshank is truly fantastic. But to make it number 1 means something else can't be number one. Because two number ones makes 11 and who wants to be eleventh ?

Numbers indeed UN! Our guy at our barn read us the riot act last week at our A.M. briefing concerning our scorecard. "We could have aced it if we would have done such and such things better," he said. It seems that guys at the top management level positions apparently only care about one thing, having decent numbers on their scorecards. I understand that they are only trying to protect and promote themselves in their current positions...I get that. But what about treating us drivers decently w/ RESPECT as Tony Brooks said he'd make a top priority under his leadership of XPO LTL?
RESPECT in listening to our concerns about operations...i.e. not cramming and crunching too much freight into one pup when clearly 2 pups
would have been better.It's business...nothing personal", is what they'd tell us why they do what they do. But isn't it our business too? Solution? Get one savvy DSR from each barn, w/ all their years of experience in the LTL industry, and send them to St. Louis for an Ops Summit. I'll bet if they did, the bottom line outcome of that meeting would be that there would be a whole boatload of unheard of and wonderful new ideas that management would run w/ to make us better.

Except that the one DSR ends up being the biggest kiss ass and is all about an agenda that does anything but fullfill the intentions of your post.

Things are starting to pick up at my place. All of us linehaulers are running now and some flex boarders to. All dockworkers working again and from what the guy I slip seat with is telling me, city is working OT again. Its not booming yet but we are picking up steam.

Send that ::shit:: east !

I don't know what's going on with LTL down there, but up here in Canada there seems to be plenty of freight for everyone. Only carriers I'm seeing less of are TL carriers.
Tons of freight on east coast also we're as busy now as ever and getting busier . everyday this week we've been 2-6 trailers over just for the 5 doors I load . I think the places that are slow are the result of xpo getting rid of cheap freight .

Except that the one DSR ends up being the biggest kiss ass and is all about an agenda that does anything but fullfill the intentions of your post.

How true HS... unfortunately. If not a 'DSR Ops Summit,' then how about them bringing a town hall to our barns? This way the boot licker types would only be one among many voices being heard.

Just wondering...you or anybody else reading this post have a town Hall meeting w/ any of the big shots recently?