XPO | Where is the freight.

guitarman1

TB Lurker
Credits
Not at My barn. We used to average probably 600,000 Plus. Now its probably 475,000. Maybe less.
Acually back in the day we hit 1,000,000 a few times and probably averaged 650,000 plus... It seems pathetic now. I really hope something happens to increase it... When I started we had 26 line-haul bids and 6 flex guys. Now we have like 15 bids and no flex guys. so sad...

Last edited:
Our outbound is pretty slow, tonnage means nothing to me. Between the inbound, doing via’s to cover others freight and we bring lots of Maine and Canadian freight back since they run in to my barn, we are running steady. I agree that if we don’t increase business now, what’s it going to look like in January? I think we should look at damages and do whatever it takes to reduce them. I also have noticed a lack of servicing our customers like when we were CCX. Back then, we were the only ones with such quick transit times. That’s how we got away with charging such a premium. The competition has caught up and we no longer have such a edge on the market.

Our outbound is pretty slow, tonnage means nothing to me. Between the inbound, doing via’s to cover others freight and we bring lots of Maine and Canadian freight back since they run in to my barn, we are running steady. I agree that if we don’t increase business now, what’s it going to look like in January? I think we should look at damages and do whatever it takes to reduce them. I also have noticed a lack of servicing our customers like when we were CCX. Back then, we were the only ones with such quick transit times. That’s how we got away with charging such a premium. The competition has caught up and we no longer have such a edge on the market.
I think most of the freight is still there just gettin hauled by sub-carriers. Mr Brad Jacobs needs to look back how it was done in the Detter days. Xpo just wants to be a freight broker and really don't like the idea of having a truck fleet that has to be bought, maintained and pay a driver

Oh boy! Everybody is missing the point! Ebitda!! That’s the root problem. Someone quits, retires, gets fired! No replacement! To my knowledge about all SICs are understaffed. The freight adjusts itself to the man power available. Less man power equals less freight. Think about it!

Oh boy! Everybody is missing the point! Ebitda!! That’s the root problem. Someone quits, retires, gets fired! No replacement! To my knowledge about all SICs are understaffed. The freight adjusts itself to the man power available. Less man power equals less freight. Think about it!

EBITDA is not the problem. It's the solution. This company believes in making money and not doing ::shit:: for free.

As far as staffing dictating the freight. I agree entirely. Making more money and doing less work to get it. That's living the dream in a nutshell.

Our tonnage has been pretty consistent at my place, but bill count and profits have gone up. Looks like we're finally doing that "don't haul it if you can't make money on it" thing that Con-way always talked about but could never seem to pull the trigger on.

Xpo just wants to be a freight broker and really don't like the idea of having a truck fleet that has to be bought, maintained and pay a driver

People keep repeating this statement, but it doesn't make any sense. He spent 3 BILLION dollars to get a company with a huge fleet and thousands of drivers. He has said in interviews that he wanted a fleet because of a serious projected shortage in freight capacity on the market- he wants to have his own trucks to move the freight when the market rates spike.

As far as paying drivers, of course he doesn't. No freight company would turn down an affordable way to eliminate people in the driver's seat. It will happen one day- just like robotics took over manufacturing. No one is going to be able to stop it.

We are seeing less freight, but making money hand over fist.
There's money being added to the bottom line , however , there's a difference between cutting fat and waste versus shrinking the business and reducing XPO's capability.

Right now the company is on the edge of cutting too deep. In some places that line has been crossed. As it was stated before , the freight will adjust to XPO's lack of capability to handle it. The risk XPO is taking is with the reputation of the business being ruined. It's especially important in LTL where most advertising is word of mouth. Once XPO has bad word of mouth on the streets , and it reaches critical , people and companies will avoid doing business with you.

There's money being added to the bottom line , however , there's a difference between cutting fat and waste versus shrinking the business and reducing XPO's capability.

Right now the company is on the edge of cutting too deep. In some places that line has been crossed. As it was stated before , the freight will adjust to XPO's lack of capability to handle it. The risk XPO is taking is with the reputation of the business being ruined. It's especially important in LTL where most advertising is word of mouth. Once XPO has bad word of mouth on the streets , and it reaches critical , people and companies will avoid doing business with you.
Partly agree. Conway had the reputation, customers still stayed. The latest extra charge on long freight is designed to shed more undesirable freight. Ltl is one small part of xpo’s game plan. Whatever that game plan is.

The freight is slow across all Ltl companies. This is not a problem that only XPO is facing right now. Time of the Year?? Slow freight cycle ?? Don't know . But it is not only XPO.

We got good raises this year, why wouldn't we next year?
Because if there's any truth to the following quote of yours , then XPO Logistics has that much less incentive to give a "pretty good raise" - At this point there are few original ideas in the LTL industry. If YRC can get away with a 5% pay cut , you can expect other companies to try it at most and to think about it in the least.
I spoke to a Holland driver this week, and he told me that the company is going to be asking for another 5% cut in pay and that the workers start paying for health care. Is this what we could expect if we joined the Teamsters?

Because if there's any truth to the following quote of yours , then XPO Logistics has that much less incentive to give a "pretty good raise" - At this point there are few original ideas in the LTL industry. If YRC can get away with a 5% pay cut , you can expect other companies to try it at most and to think about it in the least.
That's a pretty bold statement , one would think that negotiations would have to start and the company propose a pay cut.

Small difference is XPO is making money. Despite the fact that many think the company is evil, I don't see them not giving us a raise with the profit they're making.

Small difference is XPO is making money. Despite the fact that many think the company is evil, I don't see them not giving us a raise with the profit they're making.
YRCW - For the second quarter 2017, the company reported consolidated operating income of $50 million compared to $57.2 million in the second quarter 2016.

I think they are making money at YRCW ( I don't know , I could be wrong )

My point still stands : Let YRCW regionals and YRC make all the money they can , and without a pay cut or loss in benefits. That's a positive thing for drivers that don't work there as well as those who do.

The tone of your post comes across as if you are gloating or not in the same boat. Most of the people on Truckingboards will tell you that there are MAJOR problems with the union but I'm guessing that they get the concept of a rising tide lifts all boats.

Unions don't have the influence that they once had so what will you rely on to push pay up and make benefits better? Competition? The free market? Government? Most likely a combination of all of the above.

With that said , I hope FedEx gets paid , ABF gets paid , Saia gets paid , YRC and it's regionals gets paid - you get my point.

So we should be due for a raise soon
Don’t count on it. I heard they won’t be giving much of a raise because they don’t think drivers will quit and want to lose their seniority be going to another company. That’s what their thinking is. I heard that from someone at the top