Where is the freight.

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by guitarman1, Oct 28, 2017.

1. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Disagree. He is doing just what we said. Slash and cash. Cut and gut. Word of mouth does not matter. Advertising is irrelevant. He is servicing his exclusive customers and only selling the remaining space in the system.

Ultimately, history will repeat itself. He will start up a new division. It will all be automated trucks. The self drivers. And just like CF was pieced out to create Con-way. He will sell off the useful parts of the LTL to the last mile or container haulers, etc. of the business for $1. The XPO LTL will disappear as an unprofitable and unsustainable business.

sportsman800 likes this.
  2. highspeeds

Pushing those shipments to truckload and rail carriers. Where XPO has a strong foot print and higher margins.

icuicp likes this.
  3. highspeeds

After everything that has happened over there the last ten years, are you suggesting that you believe they would come to the table with a generous increase in wages and benefits ? Do you truly think that ? And if not, is it really that bold of a statement ? Get real, please.

4. highspeeds

Went up north to visit the folks. Saw sets moving northbound and southbound. You guys are still doing it old school. Your drivers and your trucks pulling your freight. Nothing but respect. Be safe out there, driver.

icuicp likes this.
  5. highspeeds

We make same regardless. And the company is buried in cash. Which he will leverage into another series of purchases. It's the reality of working for a global conglomerate.

6. highspeeds

Operating income doesn't reflect the overall financial picture or account for outstanding debt.

7. highspeeds

Why would a bunch of 60 years olds with days left to go, and I mean these guys have it plotted out and know exactly what day is their last day. Why would they quit and give up their seniority to work somewhere else ?

These two things synchronize perfectly. As the baby boomers retire the automated trucking will begin. And the good old days of American trucking will die. The old phases out at the same time as the new phases in.

8. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

N
    No I do not, but when "windbag" starts talking out of his ass just to disparage them when talks have not even started I feel the need to call him on it.

icuicp likes this.
  9. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

Yes that it lets go back and stopping looking to the future. Why was the Detter days so great the same reason why the American Freightways days were great too. We did something no one in LTL did. That was next day service and we made money hand over fist and a lot of union carriers closed because of it and because of de-reg. Now everyone offers that service and now the BIG thing is price what it cost to ship the freight. Shipper have no loyalty to any carrier. These big companies are using 3PL and Brokers to move there freight and guess what the low price wins. Yes there are shipper that are loyal to some companies but when it comes to price the lower bid wins. I know I do it when I order something on-line not only do I look at the price but also if I going to be taxed and the shipping cost.
    Yes we all lost freight but ask yourself how long would you keep doing something for free. The next big thing in the trucking industry is floor space. The more and more regs the federal govt is putting out on the trucking industry will cause O/O and small carriers to go out of business and E-logs are big one.
    If we lost soooo much freight how come our profits are higher???

sucker666 likes this.
  10. Fly-by-night

what did I hear YRC took all that amazon freight and what was there OR for the last quarter???

11. Fly-by-night

Maybe you should read the whole report:
    http://investors.yrcw.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1035992
    What I see is even though they moved more freight and more bills per day in this report compared to this same time last year there OR went higher. We moved less and had a lower OR so in the end we made more profit.

12. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you posted. Very well put. It’s a race to the bottom and unfortunately pressure to keep our earnings as drivers suppressed as a byproduct.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  13. Fly-by-night

The big problem is there are no more "Professional Truck Drivers" they are now steer wheel holders. I know we have some at my barn and they all went through the con-way brain washing/truckdriving school. I seen them they drive O/S trucks, never open a hood, kick a tire, or even look at the trailer suspension and brakes, but hey they sure can clean there windows.

14. sucker666

Copy that, you have to wonder why it’s not an attractive alternative any longer

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  15. whip1

whip1 Active Member

Context is everything. The quoted post is from the union thread. In that thread, we're told to join the union and get more. I was only highlighting the fact that the union isn't doing much for the shops they represent and I don't want them in wallet. Looking at the big picture, I hope we all get big raises.

16. whip1

whip1 Active Member

Windbag..... That's cute. Why am I accused of talking out of my ass when I'm only relaying what a driver that works there told me, but every rumor about XPO is excepted as true? Would this be another example of the double standard you guys like?

17. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

Joe doesn’t work for xpo, but is well versed on teamster info.

icuicp likes this.
  18. sucker666

Doesn’t do you any good if you get a raise in the spring and they take it in the fall in healthcare insurance increases. Seems to be the pattern 2 yrs running.

so-fla-br likes this.
  19. sucker666

The corporate brass is not evil their focus is on the bottom line as to what drives the stock and what effect that has on their bonuses. Us as drivers figure into to that equation in the only fact that they need to keep cost associated with our employment to a minimum.

so-fla-br likes this.
  20. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

Well, if the talks haven't started that means the company hasn't asked for anything. YRC is not dumb enough to propose another cut, will they make a generous offer, not in my opinion.

icuicp likes this.