ODFL | Where the freight go?

imported_Gearbox

TB Lurker
Credits
I live and work out of the Grand Junction, Co. terminal (GJN) as a wild driver. Last year when I started, I couldn't stop moving freight, now I can hardly start. It seems that everytime I go out, I run abt 1200 miles a week, then sent home. Salt Lake is completely dead on freight, wild drivers take a back seat to everybody else. And it seems like I can't leave a 3 state area(UT, Wy, Co). Not saying I haven't been to Parsons, KS, Dallas, TX, Sacramento, Ca. But 98% of my travels have been circling Colorado. I've met people, single drivers also, from as far as North Carolina. I'm dismayed at this, how they get alway out in Salt Lake City, when I can hardly leave 3 states.

I am never really sure why or how OD moves the freight. I have heard a lot of wild drivers saying that they use to be able to get out west for the long miles and never seem to be able to get past KCY anymore. Like you say some do but not nearly as many as use to. Much of this might be because OD has added more schedule drivers domiciled in cities such as IND, STL, KCY, DEN, SLC, RNO and SFC this relays the freight across country and saves the motel charges. When the economy slows it reduces the need for wild drivers and effects them the most.
Hope business pickup for you soon. have you tried asking your central dispatcher for some more miles. I assume you usually are sent to DEN out of Grand Junction have you talked to the line haul supervisor. Remember when you are wild and it slows down it pays to be friendly with the supervisors and to have been in the past do them favors now or they may remember that you did not in the future. You are your own salesman make sure you follow the specific terminal policy without complaining and think ahead so that when the supervisor ask you to do something tell him it is already done if possible. Anything you can do to get on the right side of the linehaul supervisor or central may pay in the future. Do not get in the breakroom grouching grape vine. You probably already do much of this and I genuinely hope things pick up for you soon GOOD LUCK.

Were you a UW driver or hired in after OD bought them.

Thanks for the reply, I was a UW employee but left abt 7 months before OD bought them, came back in August of last year. I am not much for dedicated routes, just bore me after awhile. I know its constant miles, but we don't have anything available here. I like be a wild driver. But again thanks for the reply. I will see what Central can do.

thats the way alot of people are running right now alot of drivers only getting 1500 to 2500 mile weeks east and midwest not sure about west coast drivers even alot of teams are not getting good miles that is why you see north carolina drivers out there they never go home i work normal weeks for 2 weeks then try to go out for to or three the key is to get out of yor home area try leaving on the weekends fri or sat ive found that is the best way to get good runs also does pay to not complain especially to central good luck