ODFL | Where's a camera when you need it?

Why do they need drivers way out there from all the way in Greensboro? Can't they find vols. closer?

Beats me,but they've always done it.Most of the time they will fly them there in one of the company jets,and they'll stay in a motel/hotel until they are done.That's some of that upper management thinking that used to scare me.

I don't understand that way of thinking. Unless they are trying to justify having a corp. jet. Then after you say you can't, they try to guilt you into it, or force you to go by way of fear for your job.

I don't understand that way of thinking. Unless they are trying to justify having a corp. jet. Then after you say you can't, they try to guilt you into it, or force you to go by way of fear for your job.

Probably yes on the jet,but they usually find enough to make the trip.Some of the single guys go just for the ride or if the terminal has a good "liberty town" near by.

10-4 on the single guys looking for liberty. Hope they have fun!!

Most of them do and come back in the hole.O.D.pays for their room and so much each day for food.But O.D. won't cover their bar tab or other off duty expenses.

i seen to gbo drivers runing single in den the other day they where going east said they where heading home did not get there names or ask how long they have been out here i've been out here a week and have not been past slc which is fine but i do know they are bringing a lot of priority equipment into slc and most of it has to be deadline because the dot inspections are out of date especialy on the dolly's

There is no pressure. I personally do things like this once or twice a year. It is fun and interesting you get off of the same old route and prove to yourself that you can go do your job in different situations. I prefer city work or peddle runs not line haul as I do that enough. Thats why I am not in Washington now. Also have road tested drivers at new terminals and have met many good people. It is all voluntary but you are expected to work hard.

There is no pressure. I personally do things like this once or twice a year. It is fun and interesting you get off of the same old route and prove to yourself that you can go do your job in different situations. I prefer city work or peddle runs not line haul as I do that enough. Thats why I am not in Washington now. Also have road tested drivers at new terminals and have met many good people. It is all voluntary but you are expected to work hard.

O.D. is not a restrictive company on the whole.If a man wants to do something a little different or advance himself and he's qualified and there's an opening they don't hold people back. It might not come at the speed you want it,then again it could come fast.I worked freight along side of fellas that became terminal managers,salesmen,safety men,road and local drivers,and believe it or not we've got a road driver Pete B. that flys Earl around in a jet on his days off.I don't think Earl pays him by the mile for that.

They've flown dock and drivers out here so far to work out of TAC. Even Kevin F. from out East is running the show in the evening. He's a good man.

it is probably a good thing to send a lot of company personnel out to participate in the merge of companies. Even if most of the priority drivers and management wanted to and got hired. The difference with OD and other companies that do this is obvious. OD merges them together quickly within weeks and months they are OD not still trying to act as if they are still a separate company running in the OD system. Many companies when merging months and years later still operate off of different pro labels, computer systems even terminals in the same cities. Acting as rivals with disagreements between management and drivers. Sending friendly personnel out there and participating in the work helps the new company people get to know the OD system and feel welcome.