TForce | Wheres the freight.

Ex-dugancity

TB Lurker
Credits
What happen to all that freight, we was suppose to get. In Atl they started cutting the hours allowed for dock with cdl to 7 1/2 hours per day. When I was hired I was told that I wouldn't be at this position for long and that once freight pick up, I would be able to go to road or city. I've talked to different drivers at different companies and their freight has picked up. When is UPSF freight going to pick up.

ex-dugancity said:
What happen to all that freight, we was suppose to get. In Atl they started cutting the hours allowed for dock with cdl to 7 1/2 hours per day. When I was hired I was told that I wouldn't be at this position for long and that once freight pick up, I would be able to go to road or city. I've talked to different drivers at different companies and their freight has picked up. When is UPSF freight going to pick up.
We're not gonna get any freight as long as companies know that it's being shipped the overnite way. I can't beleive that UPS's mission doesn't apply to existing customers, but they're dropping like flys

Not sure about others, but the hubby has actaully been running as scheduled out of Memphis. It is nice when he actually gets home on time and not having to stop at other terminals on his run.

Mossbackman said:
We're not gonna get any freight as long as companies know that it's being shipped the overnite way. I can't beleive that UPS's mission doesn't apply to existing customers, but they're dropping like flys

I agree with you 100%!

A memo came out late last week that addresses this very problem. Starting July 17, the Kansas City Terminal will hault the breaking down of skids and the memo went on further to say that this is to be implemented company wide!

Customer satisfaction and customer retention is the new primary focus as should have been all along. We at the K.C. facilty are awaiting the new, revised, work instruction to see what this all intels.

Claims and the loss of customers is killing this company and I'm POSITIVE that UPS will not tolerate this much longer.

Equalizer

ex-dugancity said:
Just wait till the union gets in and city drivers and dock workers only get 8 hours a day every week because they hire part timers......:smilie_132:

Johnny, I'm a driver for UPS and we have over a thousand PT'ers in our building. When do our 8 hour days start. I haven't been under 9 or 10 hours in months.

Johnnybegood said:
Just wait till the union gets in and city drivers and dock workers only get 8 hours a day every week because they hire part timers......:smilie_132:
DY, At least if you work 7hrs. you get paid for eight!! And as for part timers, try casuals. A employee on a seniority list is given the option to stay and work or go home. Please get the facts straight!!

I now know our rates are highier than most LTL companies.

But our company has to really address the claims.
When I come in on my sift in the mornings,sometimes I see our inbound supervisor,or the TM with the company camara in their hand.
Than I take a look at the load they were taking photos of.
The next thing I look for is the bulldozer that was used to load the trailer.

Everytime we have a quaterly meeting, claims are always brought up,but in my 20 years with our company I've seen little change to haul damage,and shortage free freight.

I've shared with my TM that a picture of the load should be taken before the plastic sheet is tied,and the door is closed,and sealed at the origin terminal.
Than when its broke at the destination terminal,maybe the loads would be in better shape when the origin terminal knows a picture is going to be down loaded at the terminal its going to.

Anyhow my TM has always said it was a good idea,than it never happens.

All my years hauling freight for 15 LTL trucking companies.
I know your rates can be highier if you can deliver it the way it was picked up.

But if your going to trash it,or short it.
Than no matter how good your rates are customers will steer clear of you.

Apostolic said:
But our company has to really address the claims.
When I come in on my sift in the mornings,sometimes I see our inbound supervisor,or the TM with the company camara in their hand.
Than I take a look at the load they were taking photos of.
The next thing I look for is the bulldozer that was used to load the trailer.

Everytime we have a quaterly meeting, claims are always brought up,but in my 20 years with our company I've seen little change to haul damage,and shortage free freight.

I've shared with my TM that a picture of the load should be taken before the plastic sheet is tied,and the door is closed,and sealed at the origin terminal.
Than when its broke at the destination terminal,maybe the loads would be in better shape when the origin terminal knows a picture is going to be down loaded at the terminal its going to.

Anyhow my TM has always said it was a good idea,than it never happens.

All my years hauling freight for 15 LTL trucking companies.
I know your rates can be highier if you can deliver it the way it was picked up.

But if your going to trash it,or short it.
Than no matter how good your rates are customers will steer clear of you.
Hey Apostolic........this is a problem at every freight company, union and non. From what I have seen in my area ABF is the best at leaving freight intact and not breaking down skids and no shortages. I have been in more than one argument with RDWY supervision about them telling us on the dock to break down customers freight and "part lot" shipments. If UPS is serious about this problem, they will start discharging guys that they catch doing it. Damage claims are going to happen, sometimes you can't do anything about it. We haul freight from a electronic connector company. If a box is damaged they refuse it. We all know good and well that the connectors are metal and a torn box does not affect the contents, but they file a claim anyway. What can you do?? DS.

please read the rules

what happened to the men our mothers use to raise now all there is are balless ,cissyfied and pu******* little whining scared pansies who want some one else to fight the fight....leo must just love you guys.

Same with bose D.S. You guys break down skids? We haven't broke down skids in years up here. Only a very rare occasion. Less that has changed since I hit hit the road.

I've asked our OS&D clerk why not have the shipper..

send in new empty broke down boxes,we could re-package the contents of the damaged goods than deliver it on a free astray.
Well I guess its better for our company to pay a claim rather than do somthing that makes any sence.
I'm sure UPS could give us a break on the shipping,seeing they own UPS Freight.

What happens is something is damaged and refused than the cost has to be figured out.
It goes to a salvage point,people bid on it.
The comany pays the differnce.
This process can take up to a year in some cases.

Which leaves the shipper,and the consignee upset with the company.

My way would make everyone happy.
And may only take a week,or two.

BUT NO!!! how could I ever think of doing something so bizzar?

Funny that all the companies I've worked for over my 43 years in trucking.
The main reason for them going bankrupt was poor management.

Why can't they ever take any advice from their drivers?

Its puzzles me,but thats the trucking game for you!

serta said:
Same with bose D.S. You guys break down skids? We haven't broke down skids in years up here. Only a very rare occasion. Less that has changed since I hit hit the road.

Guys you are dead wrong about breaking down skids. Any and every long haul carrier has to break down skids especially on the long runs east to west and west to east. Its economics.

You may not see it loading to break bulks, but trust me once that freight hits the break, its getting broken down.

Instead of looking at your o/b, look at your i/b loads and see how cubed they are. That is the freight coming from the breaks and it wil surly have loose cartons. That the name of the game in the long haul picture. CUBE - CUBE - LOAD AVERAGE - LOAD AVERAGE

serta said:
Just like FOF said......it the cube!! It seems that farther the loading point the more you break down. Now if you have weight, it's not as important. Seems like at Winston we don't have that much low riding heavy freight. We get tall light stuff that leaves pups at 8 to 9,000 each and that drives management crazy, and they pass it on to us!! DS.

Johnnybegood said:

JBG, There is no such thing as a part timer in the NMFA. The closest thing we have is casuals but they are still guaranteed 8 hours a day.
I hope this clears things up for you

Friend of the frog said:
Guys you are dead wrong about breaking down skids. Any and every long haul carrier has to break down skids especially on the long runs east to west and west to east. Its economics.

You may not see it loading to break bulks, but trust me once that freight hits the break, its getting broken down.

Instead of looking at your o/b, look at your i/b loads and see how cubed they are. That is the freight coming from the breaks and it wil surly have loose cartons. That the name of the game in the long haul picture. CUBE - CUBE - LOAD AVERAGE - LOAD AVERAGE

FOTF, there is nothing wrong with breaking down skids as long as it's done right.

At CF we had a lot of Home Depot freight towards the end. In the area my terminal covered we had 6-7 stores. We would get loads in that would have bills for each of those stores out of the same shipper and all the skids would be broken down. The problem was that each box was not labled.
How were we supposed to know which boxes went to which store? We had no way of knowing and it created huge claims.

When management was asked about this we were told the additional load factor made up for the claims and service failures.
Thats one hell of a way to run a company.

Here's another example. We had a shipper that told us if we continued breaking down their pallets we would lose the account. One night I was working the outbound and the TM(he was running the outbound that night) told me to strip those pallets. Since I was the one that picked up the freight and know of the past problems I reminded him that we would loose the account of the pallets got broken down. I was told to let him worry about the customers and I should only worry about loading the freight. We never saw that freight again after that.:duh: :duh:

Friend of the frog said:

It's against policy to break down skids at FXF, doesn't mean it doesn't happen but not as a regular practice.

FM

When I worked at Cosolidated Freightways in 86'.

I remembered they used hand held pricing devices,like the ones they use in the discount stores.
Insted of pricing stickers,the pro. number was dialed in on orange tape,than by touching the packages that were broke down off skids that wouldn't fit on the trailer.

Each package,or box would have the pro.number stuck on it with lttle pieces of orange glow tape.

Ever once in a while I used to see these small stick on pro.number lables on Overnites freight,but come to think of it its been a long time since I've seen anymore.

I thought that was a good way of keeping track of unlabled boxes from skids that had to be broken down.

It didn't take much to hit every box with this device.

You'd think every trucking company thats breaking down their skids would have something like this?

Sometimes its the simple things that are overlooked in the freight game.

It looks like a real cheap device,but it save hunderds of dollars on lost freight claims.

But what do I know I'm just an old freight hauler.