TForce | Where's the frieght

do you feel the cutback in BBB may be part of the reason for the downturn in volume? personally, i am glad to see them go, but I have heard some of the other carriers they signed with to take over from us aint too happy and they may be coming back to us. if we were smart, we would use that leverage to our advantage...but you know how that goes..

We still get Bed&Bath every day.

Sometimes only one skid in our stores,sometimes as many as 7,or 8.
The stores I deliver too say Estes has been bringing the most,but they only come every other day.

I still don't understand how Roadway,and ABF can haul freight in to them that we used too?
My TM,and sales dept. claims we were losing money on?

Yet both are union companies with much highier overhead in pay,and bennies for their employees.

Everyone I ask that of,always says its a good question,but in 20 years driving for our company I've never got a straight answer.
Only that we'll wait for them to go under for delivering freight for so cheap.

I guess thats the freight game.
Servival of the fittest.

When your in business and your expences are more than your profit than you join all the other companies in bankpupcy court.

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

Proud Overniter said:
do you feel the cutback in BBB may be part of the reason for the downturn in volume? personally, i am glad to see them go, but I have heard some of the other carriers they signed with to take over from us aint too happy and they may be coming back to us. if we were smart, we would use that leverage to our advantage...but you know how that goes..
Good post! Whether you like it or not BB&B is a lot of work. And it keeps a lot of people working. We catered to them. Not too many carriers are going to do that. One big difference, UPS may not want them back.

the only thing hauling BBB, Lowes, etc does is help you to get your fixed cost. the national accounts help you to get close to break even, you make your profit on the mom and pop shippers who cant afford to negotiate the cut rates, reduced accessorials, etc... its like that in most any service type industry, the more volume you control the more negotiating you can do...the national accounts just help to fill air in trucks that are going that way anyway. dont get me wrong, do we make some profit from some nationals, and some may be profitable on certain lanes but not on others, but in looking at the big picture, they are just helping you recover your fixed costs

Sun setter is one favorite account in the N.E.Region

Just about all these Sun Setter deliveries are house stops they all have to be appoinments.

We've been delivering this stuff for about 5 years.
They start coming in the spring,end in late fall.

House deliveries are a real pain,low utility lines,and limbs,small culdesacs,or dead end streets.

I had one narrow dead end that I had to back down 2 & 1/2 miles.
that took awhile with cars coming up the street I had to keep pulling to the side.

But my TM says this is a good paying account,so we've got to do what we've got to do to keep everyone happy.

The only way I can look at it, is just one more adventure on my daily route, which keeps my trucking life interesting.
If every day was easy,how boring would that be?

In Atlanta management said that we are getting to Vans and Pups to handle the amount of freight Ups freight will be getting as soon as the contracts for holland, conway, and yellow are up.

Apostolic said:
Just about all these Sun Setter deliveries are house stops they all have to be appoinments.

We've been delivering this stuff for about 5 years.
They start coming in the spring,end in late fall.

House deliveries are a real pain,low utility lines,and limbs,small culdesacs,or dead end streets.

I had one narrow dead end that I had to back down 2 & 1/2 miles.
that took awhile with cars coming up the street I had to keep pulling to the side.

But my TM says this is a good paying account,so we've got to do what we've got to do to keep everyone happy.

The only way I can look at it, is just one more adventure on my daily route, which keeps my trucking life interesting.
If every day was easy,how boring would that be?

I got a chance to work in STO for a day. They sent me to Sunsetters for the day. I moved several loads, railyard one for the left coast and the others brought back to the terminal. All chock full and real heavy. Got to talk with the guy in shipping, he said they were hit with a freight increase, but that they just build it into the cost of the product. So I bet they are worth hauling.

Boats said:
Good post! Whether you like it or not BB&B is a lot of work. And it keeps a lot of people working. We catered to them. Not too many carriers are going to do that. One big difference, UPS may not want them back.
UPS will take them back. But on UPS terms only.

ex-dugancity said:
In Atlanta management said that we are getting to Vans and Pups to handle the amount of freight Ups freight will be getting as soon as the contracts for holland, conway, and yellow are up.
ok well when r they gonna b up???????:rolleyes:

mud-flap said:
we where told by a dock sup in a mornin meeting that UPS is withholding freight from us because we damage too much freight ,,,get claims down and the freight will come is what the dock sup said any one know anything like that???
And you actually belive that?!>>>>>>>>>>>UPS witholding freight?

Now I know why we are hammered with freight at Fedex! Thanks guys!

FXFE said:
And you actually belive that?!>>>>>>>>>>>UPS witholding freight?

Now I know why we are hammered with freight at Fedex! Thanks guys!

why do you think the practice of breaking down skids to increase load averages is being phased out?

we are told that our goal is to deliver freight in the same mannger it is tendered to us, and then we turn around and at first break skids are broken down to cube out trailers...when you put them back to together, you get shortages and damages...
increased handling = more exceptions = more claims...

i am sure this thing save money due to increase load averages on the front end, but we are paying for it on the back end in increased claims expense...and the money paid in claims is money that could have been spent in other areas..and since we are self insured, we have to keep a reserve on tap to cover our potential exposure..that reserve is money just sitting there..