Yellow | which is preferable

eaglescout

TB Lurker
Credits
with our jobs on the line with the merger will the union press for a buyout of senior men? with the truck driver shortage people are not flocking to our doors to get hired. Many people will not work for a union barn because of the reputation for layoffs etc.
If they layoff all the bottom men how many are going to stick around and wait?

A early retirement buyout makes much more sense, look around at our workforce brothers there's a lot of gray in our ranks. At our terminal we have a lot of men with over 25 years.
A generous retirement package with health insurance makes a lot of sense. If you already have 25+ years.
in you have a good pension lined up.
I know I will get some flak about this from you senior men but look at the facts the company needs those junior men also. Somebody has to handle the cartons sort and segregate, inside book delivery and switching. hHeck at our terminal he senior men hit the door in the evening and that is it they do not stick around for those long grueling dock hours. you will argue that you have put in your dues and the company owes you a position, well I agree however the junior men are paying there dues and they come to work here believing the company owes them a position also. I had a full time job not subject to layoff before I came to work here. I applied for what I believed was a full time position. as an example

Under the new deal, GM and Delphi hourly employees -- mostly factory workers -- have a range of options to leave the two companies. For instance, workers with 10 or more years of seniority can take a one-time payment of $140,000 to sever all ties to GM and Delphi. The workers would keep their accrued pensions but lose health-care and other post-retirement benefits. Employees with less than 10 years can chose a one-time payment of $70,000 to walk away under similar circumstances. As many as 5,000 Delphi workers could move back to GM jobs based on a condition of GM's 1999 spinoff of Delphi.

Workers over 50 years old with at least 10 years on the job can retire immediately with full health-care and pension benefits. GM said it didn't know the full costs associated with the buyout.

what every1 has to know is that if there are no junior men at the bottom paying into the pension then those at the top are looking at big cuts in theirs

The company would be paying in the form of a lump sum payout loss of jobs means loss of dues and pension money anyways

The company would be paying in the form of a lump sum payout loss of jobs means loss of dues and pension money anyways
and that's why the union would never go for it....between all the loss of dues,and a run on early retirees it would bankrupt the union....

There is no way YRC is ever going a pay a union man severence for leaving early, they want to lay off the junior men. With the junior men laid off they have a great hiring pool for USF Glenn Moore. They can keep the same work force and work them at G/M for less wages.

General Motors workers are not in the Teamsters union, they are in the autoworkers union, big difference.