ODFL | Which way to go in linehaul living in Columbus, Oh., OD or ABF ?

Screamy

TB Lurker
Credits
What would be a better situation to consider a line haul job with? My thoughts are...OD would get me home more often (making it easier on the drive to work), but ABF would keep me out all week and be a little better in the long run (pay & bennies). What are your thoughts? Would they both keep me busy making some decent money?
OD is a 15 minute drive to work out of Columbus,Ohio..
ABF would be a 1 hour drive to Dayton.

Just go work for OD, if it sucks go work for ABF. If that sucks worst, come back to OD and then get upset when you don't get the runs you use to like the rehire guys at our place do.

Well, each has their own idea of good job. Going to be driving for a long time? Do believe would rather be with a good employee/ownership relationship. Since I'm not a blind (Koll-aid drinking, propaganda spewing leftist) (This comment was for Canary). Worked for ABF couple years. ABF fine/union sucked. Productive/Free thinking Libertarian. Wasn't for me. Have about 8 years in here. 4.5 wild nationally, 3.5 years bid run. Treated well, where ever run. Been independent, union and an O/O. Constant new/upgraded equipment, raises 57.5 now. Company on the way up or losing money and reducing pay. Rather control my retirement, then depend on pension plan that will be bankrupt long before I retire. Yes, the medical is better, yet what happens when the political Obamacare payoff waivers run out? Next contract?? Operate out of a terminal. were 80% of line haulers and P&D were union. Union shops have reduced or left/consolidated into larger terminals. OD is expanding. Do what's best for you, for me, wish OD was in my region 10 to 15 years earlier. Read through the boards. See, which mentality/company-employee relationship is for you.

Od...will pretty much keep u out all week....I worked for them and I was never home...until if got slow then I never worked

OD will let you do pretty much what you want. You want to stay out? Fine. You want to go home? Fine. I wouldn't mind working for ABF but I know at OD we are still on the rise, and we aren't giving conessions. Also, you'll get 2 weeks vacation with us following your first year, instead of waiting 2 years for one week vacation with the bullfrog.

Not to excite you, but at ABF with a few years of seniority in you might be lucky enough to drive a new used ex-Penske tractor when the most senior guy goes on vacation. Something to think about.....

I've worked for both. ABF was good to me until they closed up the service center I worked at. OD on the other hand was in the process of building a 70dr facility in the same city(Canton, OH) That has to tell you something. I love it here, people and pay are great. Good luck with your decision.

u sure u worked at od?

Some of the new guys wouldn't think this, but back during the economy crash it went from high speed to nothing for our wild drivers. If gearraker was part of that group, he certainly did work for OD. Save your money new breeds, things can change in less than a moments notice.

Some of the new guys wouldn't think this, but back during the economy crash it went from high speed to nothing for our wild drivers. If gearraker was part of that group, he certainly did work for OD. Save your money new breeds, things can change in less than a moments notice.

Not just for the wild drivers .... schedules cancel with lack of freight ... I'm sure would be lots of schedules cancelling now since so many news ones are in place now compared to back then ..... and with all the new drivers hired/still being hired .... too many new schedules mean lots of drivers sitting at home if very much of this new freight disappears .... just something to think about.

All of these statements are correct. I was part of the 08/09 layoff and ended up moving to another service center to stay with the company. I am that adimint about how I feel about this company. However, you will find that every other trucking company went through the same dilemma. It wasn't just OD or any one company. We were all in the same boat. For me it comes down to how you are treated here, and for those who want to throw money into the equation since its why we work, I make more now than I ever did. I also wanted to mention how funny it is to look at this same thread on the ABF board. All of the bashing is amusing seeings how most, if not all have never worked here. Like I said, I have worked at both and if you want a secure job, where you get treated right, make great money, and drive nice equipment this is the place. I am no longer with ABF, not because I hated them, I honestly enjoyed my time there, but because the service center I worked at is gone.

Like Freightsup, and amuzed by attacks. I too was an ABFer, couple years, Mid 90's, liked company, just not of union mentality. Went through the union pension corruption/theft battles of late 70's, early 80's as a kid in a household that's father and uncle (shop steward) were fighting the corruption, and the blind union thugs who did the will of the bosses. So, yes I'm jaded, and when see the blind fallowing never dies. Posts of similar topic are on other COL, Oh thread. (About layoff and return) Refrained from commenting on their board. Getting off topic, yet to extreme corruption will be defended against those who want it clean up is beyond reasonable actions.