Estes | Who Covers Linehaul Vacations at your Barn???

Rocket Man 055

TB Lurker
Credits
I know this is a grey area .. Over here at the 055 they are changing it to the Combo driver on Jan 6 . So basically the linehaul extraboard drivers that have been covering them for the last 15 years get to take the back seat. To guys from the Dock and City who transferred to Combo so they can jump on Linehaul work. ( 3 of them) We have a new TM guy from UPS here now. ( 1 year at Estes) Says cannt find any new drivers to run extraboard . TM said called a big boy in Richmond . Big boy said to the TM Rule book says City guys cover the vacations. (TM says rules are the rules ) City guys in break room say I'm not running nights or layover run. So the TM making his own rules now. Going to use theses Combo drivers ( 4 Total so far) So they get to pick there runs first. Then whatever left the Linehaul extraboard guys get to pick. That have more Linehaul time then the Combo drivers do.
Is this right ?

I find it hard to swallow that guys with no linehaul seniority get to cover the best linehaul runs. Maybe Richmond needs to look into this. I thought we are all about seniority. :stirthepot:

Utility guys at our barn always covered the schedues. Now they are called, "combo drivers." They still cover schedules. As far as I know their time still counts as linehaul.

How many extraboard drivers does your barn have??
Think about this if your barn does not have any combo driver to cover a run.. They will make extraboard driver from the Bunk house cover it. That's really fair has to cover your barn. But cannt cover his own.
Point we are making this combo driver job is not fair to extraboard drivers. If driver wants to do linehaul work then go extraboard like everybody else started.

I think we have around 70 with around 60 schedules. Extraboard does sometimes fill in but it's like pulling teeth getting an extraboard guy to fill in for a hub driver, then it's an act of congress to get them to put down the coffee cup and flop their fat ass on a forklift. Extraboard drivers know the road much better as far as finding motels, terminals and what to expect and their job description has them running the system.
Combo drivers have to work when they are told to work but have the luxury of being home most days, play center field and building up seniority then pin back their ears and grab a $90,000 run. Not saying I agree or disagree but that's my theory on why they do what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
So linehaul seniority don't mean nothing. It's ok top extraboard drivers that made 86000 to 80000 covering Linehaul vacations last year. Have to take a pay cut to combo guy getting hired off the street. Not saying cover one vacation once in awhile. We cover more vacation then we run extraboard. We have atleast 3 to 20 drivers off every week.
Combo guys job details say nothing about Linehaul runs. FYI Chicago , St. Louis , Indianapolis Toledo, Harrisburg , have always used there extraboard drives still are going to use there extraboard drivers.
Use Combo drivers for City and Hub work.

Basically there would be no problem with us extraboard drivers from 055. If at this rebid we could of bid on those combo jobs. Since they want to change rules for Jan 6. But we asked TM he says no openings. Only has 4 right now . But he going to need 10 to 20 by summer to cover all the runs.
We should be able keep our linehaul time with us. Since the changing of the rules. Be ahead of them 4 drivers that came from 2 dock and 1 city and 1 new hire in summer. Atleast ahead of them when picking linehaul runs.
That would be the only way to make this right. Unless they just leave us alone .
How would a city or hub driver like there TM. If he said next year couple extra board guys going to do your job . You going to have to run extra board next year. Same thing happening here . The top guy on line haul cannt say I want the top Hub job or city job.

What I find funny is none of this is written down anywhere. No Handbook no rules no nothing. It really seems that if you are willing to live under the bosses desk and pick the corn from your nose you will get great things. I really don't know how things work around the company but I know $hit is really jacked up at my barn. That whole Linehaul, extra board, combo driver utility driver thing is the most jack up thing I have viewed.

There is a lot jacked up here.. When every terminal does whatever they want. No body cares about doing anything fair.
Your right about under the bosses desk 3 of them where in there all year at my barn till they got there way!!

Remember when it slowed down, they will keep a combo driver with six months, and let go of a linehaul driver with 6 years with the company, I know that one for a fact. Seniority dont mean squat at this place..and categories suck.

combo/utility only end up covering open day runs at 028. Night time runs gets volunteers from other guys if they want more mile run or they get canceled all week. We don't have enough E/B guys.

Supposedly a city driver will be our combo unless somebody else wants to do it with higher senority. It will be a last minute deal like always.

Well, according to policy(which is written in pencil BTW), the TM has to assign someone to the "vacation driver" position... Usually called a "combo driver"... If there are more than 3 linehaul or hub drivers at your terminal there has to be 2 assigned to cover...