ODFL | who do you ask

davidyz

TB Lurker
Credits
Several drivers have been asking TM to get a couple of choke straps for pulling pipe and other long objects out of break trailers. Also we've asked for a pallet puller to have for customers who get long skids but don't have docks.
His response varies between he's working on it to he doesn't know where to buy them.
I started asking before Christmas.
He does however brag about how low our terminals OR is. If you don't spend money it's a good thing right?
It's time to go higher up the food chain but not sure who to call. Any advice?

Don't you have any broken straps around the terminal that you could use for those purposes? In 15 years I've managed to get some insane deliveries off just by being resourceful with what I already have on the truck. I think the concern with something like a pallet puller is guys losing them like they lose pallet jacks.

Don't you have any broken straps around the terminal that you could use for those purposes? In 15 years I've managed to get some insane deliveries off just by being resourceful with what I already have on the truck. I think the concern with something like a pallet puller is guys losing them like they lose pallet jacks.

I thought I worked for old dominion not central transport.
Some days I have too many skids I can't pallet Jack to leave on the tail. So a chain is required. BTW I went to a hardware store and bought hooks for our chains because no one else would. And some skids don't lend themselves to wrapping a chain around them.

I takecare of myself.I have picked up things over the years that I can use when needed.You should do the samething.Suggestion on pulling or picking things up.Use the straps that are used in the trailers

I thought I worked for old dominion not central transport.
Some days I have too many skids I can't pallet Jack to leave on the tail. So a chain is required. BTW I went to a hardware store and bought hooks for our chains because no one else would. And some skids don't lend themselves to wrapping a chain around them.
You alway's have room for jack.You make room.

Kenneth, not sure I understand your reply. Maybe you misunderstood my statement.
I meant some days I have 3 or 4 skids that are 8 or 10 feet long and too heavy to pull with my jack. If I only had 2 such skids I'd leave them in the tail and deliver them first. That's why I need a chain.
A high percentage of my customers don't have docks. The ones that do are tired of all the drivers (all companies) coming to them to have them move other people's freight.
That's what our TM tells us to do.
I started ltl in 1995. I've picked up several tricks to help out. I've also picked up a lot of aches and pains from doing things without the proper tools.

Bottom line is we have a TM who tells you he looks online and uses google and can't manage to find who sells choke straps and pullers.
I'm not trying to badmouth the company overall, I love it. But locally we are a little behind.

Bottom line is we have a TM who tells you he looks online and uses google and can't manage to find who sells choke straps and pullers.
I'm not trying to badmouth the company overall, I love it. But locally we are a little behind.
Can't they order it off the SAP program? Or Grainger or dare I say Uline? Is there an office manager or lead who can point you in the right direction.Your TM sounds a bit lame.IJS.

TM says he can't find it anywhere. Not even thru SAP. Can't buy it at Grainger. Everyone in the office is aware of the problem but it remains a problem.
We have a city tractor with a pm due in late December. Driver writes it up on dvir and puts it on TM's desk like we are told to. Just can't seem to get done. Mine was due a week ago. Last time it was 2 months overdue before it was done.
On a lighter note, earlier this week I sent a text via the handheld saying I was at my last pick up and I had room for 10. A few minutes later I got a text asking how much room I had.

Kenneth, not sure I understand your reply. Maybe you misunderstood my statement.
I meant some days I have 3 or 4 skids that are 8 or 10 feet long and too heavy to pull with my jack. If I only had 2 such skids I'd leave them in the tail and deliver them first. That's why I need a chain.
A high percentage of my customers don't have docks. The ones that do are tired of all the drivers (all companies) coming to them to have them move other people's freight.
That's what our TM tells us to do.
I started ltl in 1995. I've picked up several tricks to help out. I've also picked up a lot of aches and pains from doing things without the proper tools.
I said what I said.I have this situation everyday.I know where I can get skds moved when I need to.Also,I use OD straps and put them together to pull stuff with.Also,I have some straps to bundle stuff to be able to move.But,the customer should have equipment to remove the freight.It's all about working your job and planning ahead for the customers you deliver to.You know when you are at a dock and you can ask that customer to move skds to rear for your next deliver stop that needs thaf freight to rear.Pallet puller are like jacks they will be gone before you know it.Also,when you move freight you wrap strap at the pallet not the freight.Not trying to be a jerk.But,we all have jobs to do and in the city you have to think on your own.What's any different than you breaking a set or hooking and you move your dolly on a hill or somewhere where it will roll.Believe I look at the situation and grab something to chock the wheel or move to a flat spot.All about thinking ahead.Our society today has lost the thinking ahead about that situition.Sad..

I agree with what all of you are saying, however we do have 3 electric jacks and 1 long jack that are available for sign out to use at customers that are a pain. I see nothing wrong with adding a pallet puller to the sign out list. He did make a good point, we work for Old Dominion not R+L (I added R+L). Like I said I totally agree with you Kenneth but at the same time, for my terminal anyways, it would not be an extra burden to add that item to our sign out list. Provide some extra tools to get the job done in a timely manner helps everyone out, even his numbers.

To answer your question who do you ask, well that's a decision your going to have to make. At this point I would find out who does the ordering at your terminal and ask them about it. Then after that its the VP, however I would most likely not call him for this item.

To answer your question who do you ask, well that's a decision your going to have to make. At this point I would find out who does the ordering at your terminal and ask them about it. Then after that its the VP, however I would most likely not call him for this item.
Also,I have suggested to other's that if you can't get a answer at your term.Send a email to [email protected] and he will look into it and has he has done will several cases he has got you the tools you need.He is over employee relations.Term's will not supply anything special unless you force the issue with them.