ABF | Who voted to give up vacation?

thermo

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been at ABF for a little over a year now.Gave up 3 weeks vacation and seniority from another union carrier.It was done for the pension..Pretty easy to figure out heh! Every driver I talked to voted no on the contract.Did ABF management give up any of their vacation? 2 years to get a weeks vacation is ridiculous a.They should be up front in their help wanted ads and disclose this to new hires.Just my rant for the day....

I have been at ABF for a little over a year now.Gave up 3 weeks vacation and seniority from another union carrier.It was done for the pension..Pretty easy to figure out heh! Every driver I talked to voted no on the contract.Did ABF management give up any of their vacation? 2 years to get a weeks vacation is ridiculous a.They should be up front in their help wanted ads and disclose this to new hires.Just my rant for the day....
No matter what you think, they are not stupid. Would you put in you recruitment flyer it took 2 years for 1 week & 8 years for 2 ? I think not. Besides if you really need a week off, go shop for a doctor, get the excuse, and hit the beach & your time share. Game over.

There is a process called due diligence. This means to research things a little before making decisions. If you have looked at any ABF company web sites or any gossip web sites ( like trucking boards) , you would have seen this talked about first thing. Would it really have made a difference. You need the years of full pension regardless. I do not mean that with a mean spirit , just the obvious.

I think we'd all agree it's a little bit galling to give up a weeks' vacation, especially when a lot of us are.....older.......and can really use the time off. The desk jockeys are wondering why we're complaining as much as we are,.......it's just a week, right? But it's hard to explain physical wear and tear to someone whose only OJT injury might be a papercut,.....they don't seem to have our perspective. How about a 60 year old man lacing 7000-8000 lbs. of tires 3-4 times a week?.....….yeah,..I could use that stolen extra week.....

yeah it sucks, . But they had drivers running scared. What really sucks is getting close to your two weeks and realizing you just did eight and should be at three weeks, if not for.....well everyone has their reasons. Don't mean I have to agree with them, just work side by side with them to get the job done. Who knows,I may complain so much, next time my boys will vote no just to shut me up.lol

I hope it all works out for you in the long run. That vacation thing sucks and we have some yes voters in my shop but nobody will confess. It's not all that unusual. I don't know which is worse those who were fooled into voting it in or our 'leadership' who crafted, drafted and sold it. A union contract with no vacation for two years? If I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't believe it. We're not just the laughing stock of the industry we're the laughing stock of the country. And Hoffa refers to it as, "This great union" :hysterical:.

Of course he thinks it's a great Union. He's skated on his father's name,.....milked the union dry for everything he could get,....in the process, completely destroyed his father's life's work,..........and now rumor has it that he will step aside and let Ken Hall run for General President in the next convention,......He'll retire to polite accolades and faint praise as a "Great Union Leader",.......because he realizes that this next convention will be a brutal one, and he's burned so many bridges , he might get seriously embarrassed at the convention,.....and have his "legacy".....tarnished,.......which, in my opinion,....isn't as bad as destroying the lives of many Union employees, wrecking their retirements, and ruining all of his father's accomplishments,..........So he'll leave,.....to prevent any "stain" on his name........Don't let the door hit you in the ..........

It's my understanding that it was our fearless leaders in Washington i.e. Hoffa and company.They brought it to the table to sweeten the pot and brings us down a level to make the YRC folks feel a little better! And of course the company jumped all over that idea.5 years and counting can't come soon enough to get out of this rat race! This job isn't enjoyable anymore people!

It's my understanding that it was our fearless leaders in Washington i.e. Hoffa and company.They brought it to the table to sweeten the pot and brings us down a level to make the YRC folks feel a little better! And of course the company jumped all over that idea.5 years and counting can't come soon enough to get out of this rat race! This job isn't enjoyable anymore people!
We're in the middle of the worst driver shortage this country's ever seen....,.. And, we took concessions? We should be the industry leaders at $30 an hour now,.....and FedEx, Conway, and all the rest would be stumbling over themselves to organize.......I guess this is what happens when the people you elect have a disdain for the very people who elected them. They certainly haven't talked to any truck drivers in the last decade, or maybe they might've seen changing conditions in the industry.........Too busy having smoke blown up their anterior orifice by trucking executives,,..,..

Of course he thinks it's a great Union. He's skated on his father's name,.....milked the union dry for everything he could get,....in the process, completely destroyed his father's life's work,..........and now rumor has it that he will step aside and let Ken Hall run for General President in the next convention,......He'll retire to polite accolades and faint praise as a "Great Union Leader",.......because he realizes that this next convention will be a brutal one, and he's burned so many bridges , he might get seriously embarrassed at the convention,.....and have his "legacy".....tarnished,.......which, in my opinion,....isn't as bad as destroying the lives of many Union employees, wrecking their retirements, and ruining all of his father's accomplishments,..........So he'll leave,.....to prevent any "stain" on his name........Don't let the door hit you in the ..........
I cant see Ken Hall winning, change has a chance... UPS would be his biggest supporter and that's not going so well.

I cant see Ken Hall winning, change has a chance... UPS would be his biggest supporter and that's not going so well.
If ever there was a chance this would be it. Whenever a "leader" retires opportunity opens for a change. I'll do anything I can to make a change happen. The opposition needs to have a full slate though to stand a chance.

You are not losing a weeks vacation just putting it on hold for a year and gaining $100.00 a month to your pension. No down side for you at all. Just lost your seniority. Be HAPPY!

YEARS BACK OUR COMPANY STEWARD WOULD TELL YOU ( YOUR LUCKY YOUR WORKING DRIVER ) 10 MINUTES LATER SEEN GOING OUT THE GATE WITH THE TM FOR COFFEE,AND TO UP DATE THE HIT LIST.

It was BALL BUSTING. Is the steward still there? And are you glad to have a job. No steward would say that at our barn.
And NO Steward ever should...but then neither should ANY B/A!! I've heard it straight from the mouth of one B/A in particular on many occasions. Well one FORMER B/A that is. But it does seem to be the official quote of the Teamsters anymore. After giving it some serious thought I am glad to have a job and even glad to have the job I have in spite of what it has become. However, I am also glad that I am not 30 years old with this job hoping to support myself and/or family for 30 years. Additionally, I will also not just lay down and let it get worse without trying to make it get better if I feel I can make a difference.