FedEx Freight | Who's Buying Watkins this week????

Thats an interesting article you got Truckindaddy. Judging by the article and finanicals a June 1st week announcement would make since.
I am still waiting untill the announcement is formally made by Chip or Clay though. If anyone knows anything about deals.....they can always fall throught. Althought I do believe something will happen after reading that article.

And as a company we do have a major contractor base. We have more contractors on the West Coast than East. It just works better that way. I know some locations are 80 /20 Contractor to Employee while some are 30 / 70. Just depends on where you are in the country.
And someone had asked about what changes and I was contradicting myself? The changes will begin soon.......they mostly will not effect drivers only the way we handle billing. We will fall in line with the way most trucking companies do billing.

I am curious though are there any contractors who think they would get the axe if FEDEX bought Watkins b/c of FEDEX contractor legal issues as of recent?

And any thought that UPS or DHL still in the running to buy us should be squashed the offer has been on the table in the past from UPS but it was not good enough (plus the whole union deal) the DHL deal was squashed because of a lack of job honorings (DHL would have cleaned house).
IF and when it happens FEDEX is the front runner but they have not done it yet till someone with the last name Watkins sends out the company wide email! Then its official!

I just wish they would go ahead and make some type of annoucement. My husband works for Watkins as a mechanic, and I am just worried that he will not be able to keep his job if they do sell out

-- internally dubbed "Convoy" --

Convoy...hmmm there's a song called convoy correct.:smilie_132: anyone have the web link to it. We have a mighty convoy trucking through the night. Sorry for making fun of this... but that story is interesting. Hope if true we all can work together and more important keep our jobs. peace all

not fed ex

:chairshot: it is not fed ex

:bgroovy: some thing is going on but you cant worry about something you have no control of so lets wait and see who knows i hate changes and if some one does buy us thay have big shoes to fill if you research any family on bussiness third generations is were things happen good luck to all watkins employees when it does happen if it does always hold your head high

So if it is Fedex that has bought Watkins, is it standard practice to merge the two companies by maintaining seniority for employee drivers at Watkins, or do Watkins drivers lose their seniority and have to start over? I assume Fedex operates on the seniority system.

whim said:
No one is buying
Watkins. This is just a rumor that keeps spreading like stink in the wind. It also helps other trucking companies use it for leverage in sales to customers. There is too much money being spent on upgrading P&D communications for them to be selling. This rumor will pass just like a bad case of gas.

OOOPS :smilie_132: FXFTL services. Good day:biglaugh: