FedEx Freight | Who's Buying Watkins this week????

why would watkins be giving us a .55 cent raise on june 12, and selling on june 1, does not make sense to me, can anyone explain!

I think it will be buisness as usual upto and after 6/1,reguardless of what happens. No matter what happens thing will go as usual for months to come,especially day to day goings on .....runs,raises ,bids,vacation,and such.Hell,we be movin into a new terminal on 6/9.Just hang tough bruthas and sisters,theese things have a way of working themself out. Now if you dont mine,I have a job to do for the american people. :beerchug:

I Will Now Sit Back And Wait I Came On The Board A Little Upset You Have To Understand We Have Been Working With Rumors For A Couple Of Months I Have Friends That Work For Gator-fedex-wilson-roadway-and Yellow And A Lot Of Friends That Work For Ups Drivers Are Drivers I Just Hate The Change If It Happens But We All Adjust So If Fedex Does Buy We Will Make The Best With What Ever They Deal Us I Still Have Hope In Watkins But Face It What Ever Happens Happens Dont Worry About Some Thing You Cant Contol So I Am Sitting Back And Waiting And To All Watkins Employees No Matter What Job You Hold Good Luck In The Futher And It Has Been A Great Run

bignrich said:
I Will Now Sit Back And Wait I Came On The Board A Little Upset You Have To Understand We Have Been Working With Rumors For A Couple Of Months I Have Friends That Work For Gator-fedex-wilson-roadway-and Yellow And A Lot Of Friends That Work For Ups Drivers Are Drivers I Just Hate The Change If It Happens But We All Adjust So If Fedex Does Buy We Will Make The Best With What Ever They Deal Us I Still Have Hope In Watkins But Face It What Ever Happens Happens Dont Worry About Some Thing You Cant Contol So I Am Sitting Back And Waiting And To All Watkins Employees No Matter What Job You Hold Good Luck In The Futher And It Has Been A Great Run

Good post.

:biglaugh: GUESS WHAT I JUST HEARD
NOTHING JUST KIDDING WE WILL ALL FIND OUT AT THE SAME TIME GOOD NIGHT TO ALL I MUST BE OVER TIRED:smilie_132:

bignrich said:
When I first started posting on this board, I was trying to lend an understanding ear to WML people. I was attacked but that is OK. When I worked for American Freightways and FedEx bought us, I was scared to death. In the long run, it is very evident that it was the very best thing that could have happened. I am only a number at FedEx, but they still try to do what is right for me and my family. FedEx is growing, not shrinking. I think all Watkins employees will still have a job after the dust clears. And I think in the long run, it will mirror the situation at AF where it gets better and better.

With the driver shortage that we are in the midst of nobody will have to worry about a job.

PERIOD.

The people who will have to worry are the clerks, adminstration people, the corporate paper pushers. That stuff can be, as Bill Zoallrs says, synergized. Drivers for the most part cannot.

If for some reason some Watkins guys get let go there are plenty of other outfits looking for drivers that they will have their pick of the litter.

Try not to sweat it, you cannot do anything about, except be prerpared.

Friend of the frog said:
The people who will have to worry are the clerks, adminstration people, the corporate paper pushers. That stuff can be, as Bill Zoallrs says, synergized. Drivers for the most part cannot.

That's me :smilie_132: PT Biller/FT Student at UTK here, thought I'd come online and see what everyone else is thinking after that newpaper article.

Business has been much slower the past two weeks at KNX, if the rumors aren't true why not just say so, they're losing customers, other sales reps are using the rumors to gain customers. If its not true why let it bleed the company like this.

I know this has been said since forever but it looks like June 1 will be a logical time to wait for the announcement.

Someone already posted the company sent e-mail in this thread, and there is no denial in there only 'when this status changes we will let you know'.

I know I'm completely echoing everything shop has already said I'll leave out the insider trading bits since he did such a good job already.

Gator said:
We hope we will all be protected. But you have to understand this is the 21st century.
And company's don't care about there people anymore all we are is a number. Enough said!!!

I bet a large part of the negotiations between FedEx and Watkins has been measures to assure the future of ALL Watkins employees. Even the office people are probably going to be just fine after it is all said and done.

If any of you office people are given the chance to re-locate to Harrison Arkansas, do not be too quick to judge that area. It is a very healthy place to raise a family. The cost of living is probably half of what it is in Florida. Most likely, you will not be forced to move, but if you are, you will be surprised at how much you like it. I have been out there twice and I have looked at the price of land. It is very affordable. You can buy a small farm with a barn and room for horses there for what a small house with a third of an acre will cost you in Florida. I still think that FedEx will have plenty of work to do in administration in Florida.

On the FedEx board they're talking about WML employees having to recertify to meet FedEx standards. I don't know that FedEx is any more strict on getting a job or not. I wonder if they ever tried to make it throught the maze of tape to get a job at WML. More than likely about the same. Bet they don't have Rolexs,10grand and customized tractors.Speaking of which, they will be alot of drivers missing out on that. Its ashame because they work their butts of to get it.

YES! It would be ashame for those drivers all over the country to lose what they have worked for, maybe some way some how they could grandfather them in, lets hope so anyway.

Living through a few buyouts,I feel for the good people at The Big W.I know they are worried.I sure was (for good reason----Thanks Jim&Joe) I wish all of Watkins the best.Now to sit back & see if the month of June comes true.

I haven't misled you so far....
What will happen
1) chip and clay got BIG checks to stay on for a "transition period".... to give th impression that it is still "the same" (it is dead put it in the ground)
2) Long haul carrier... regional guys, kiss it good by that is where there ground division comes in
3) P&D.. drastically cut... the fedex guys will get it to and from the breakbulks
4) Shop... ask the american and viking guys where their shops employees are.... gone all out sourced

Two words: union yes

Ooops I am shop... I mean maintenance.....

Maybe the union is not the answer... But I know that letter sent out was a load of horse ****... (probably had similar ones at RPS, American, and Viking) I am going to lose some hard working people that I enjoyed working for me/ with... and that blows

Gator said:
its funny Watkins sold for less than AF did 6 years ago. AF went for 950 million.
nope 1.2 billion minus 250 million in debt profit 950 million

whim said:
No one is buying
Watkins. This is just a rumor that keeps spreading like stink in the wind. It also helps other trucking companies use it for leverage in sales to customers. There is too much money being spent on upgrading P&D communications for them to be selling. This rumor will pass just like a bad case of gas.
Has the air been cleared up?

shop are you a employee of watkins motor lines if you are not please shut up it is over and done fed ex corp bought us and we have there word i have the 6 pages of letters and it makes sense but the most important thing is that we still have a job and we are now going to be fed ex national so leave it at that we have heard enough for now there is one thing for sure there will be no more watkins in a few months that is for sure so now that we are going to be fed ex national please drop rumors for now let the employees catch there breath before starting another rumor and please no need to use bad words s... for now every thing sounds great but trust me not every one is at rest if this hols up what they are telling us i would say that john buzz chip clay are about as high class as it comes i fill they really stood up for there people and i fill that some day all will change for for now be happy thanks letter really makes sense we are to be the 3 4 5 day

I don't understand the Shop guy's attitude. FedEx is going to be a great company for all you guys to work with. I run out of Charlotte, North Carolina and we are constantly looking to hire qualified mechanics......Many people who worked for American Freightways and quit, now wish they would have stayed here for the long term.