TForce | whose not considered subcontractors

Overnite

TB Veteran
Credits
Wal-mart picking up there trailers or dropping off trailers are not considered subcontractors.

Also anyone dropping or picking up trailers/freight who the company is not directly paying to do so are not considered subcontractors. The deal with Wal-mart is ups freight is not paying them there just lowering there freight bill.

Which I don't agree with but that is how it was explained to us.

Wally's not a sub at all

Sounds right to me. Wal-Mart is basically making a dock P/U the same as any customer who picks up the freight at the dock for whatever reason. Its no different than the local company that does convention and trade show set-up doing the same thing. We hold it in our trailers and then swing it to theirs as they need it for their pick-up. Same is true for dock drop off's-can't consider them a sub-contractor either even though we could make the pick-up and they decided to drop it off anyway.

When I worked in MAD, we did consolidation for the Wal-Mart Menomonie, WI DC. About a van a day average. It was a backhaul for them. They brought stuff in to the area stores to go back M/T otherwise, and it would have been out of the area for O to handle it in an area covered by interline anyway. Menomonie is about 70 miles shy of St Paul, MN, along I-94, but sending loads up to come back M/T out of MIN doesn't really make sense either. Too bad O couldn't find freight out the Twin Cities, but it was job security for me on the MAD dock.

And lets not forget Union Pacific, BNSF, CSX, NS, etc. are sub-contractors also, not just the ones riding rubber.

I don't agree with the wal-mart deal becuase the company does it to keep from paying OT or creating a job.

It is the terminal managers choice to have walmart pick it up or not.