Central Transport | Why Central Transport is failing

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Where do I start? The simple answer would be is they are reaping what they have sowed...But l will be pragmatic and not philosophical in my answer....The lack of employee retention is their number one problem. They had a great opportunity to change their overall perception with the purchase of Vitran but chose to not to be flexible in their business model and drove away all the great drivers of Vitran...Drivers are the key to success in this business. Just look at Old Dominion...You build a great company with your drivers. From benefits to pay to customer service that doesn't leave customers on hold forever that embarrasses the drivers...The list could go on and on and on.....And a business model that refused to adapt like Old Dominion did is pathetic....You can never be successful if your not flexible....That unwillingness to adjust and change will most certainly destroy this company in the long run....It's all about the drivers trust me...Take care of them and give them pride in their company and they will build you a successful company.....Just like Old Dominion did.

I was told at my first company fresh out of trucking school, that if a company takes care of the driver and the drivers family the driver WILL take care of the company and if they don't the drive WILL take care of their family first, and Central can't seem to understand that simple thinking and to a point neither did Vitran in the last few years, upper level management got to preoccupied with the bottom line that they forgot the drivers are the ones who carry the bottom line and if they are to worried about carrying their families then there are none left to carry the bottom line, in centrals case Manny is so far removed money wise he doesn't care about anything except making more and will run over anyone in his way if it will make him one more dollar to quote a former Central management person ( that was fired and hired by the PJAX side of Vitran) this is the way it is if you don't like it I have a stack of applications that will take your job in a second, problem is with that letter going out recently the stack must be getting quite small.

I stayed one month. I would have stayed longer if they would have been fair. My seniority took me to # 6 in seniority out of 60+ city drivers yet I was being bounced around every single day to a different route and that was not acceptable to me. ...Surely with the dove tail in seniority they could have found me a route (any route would have done) area that was under performing and put me in it and leave me alone. I just wanted to do my job and get to know my customers lunch times and breaks so I was able to work around those things. I wanted to learn the short cuts in traffic conditions that enabled me to stay productive. You can't do that when you are on something new everyday.. I paid my dues and I deserved a route. They said no..........So I left.....I'm the best at what I do and I ran Arlington and Grand Prairie for 30+ years with a few other LTL companies and then Vitran. Like I said before you build a company with drivers. That's something Central Transport can never understand.. My customers were more than my business, they were my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told at my first company fresh out of trucking school, that if a company takes care of the driver and the drivers family the driver WILL take care of the company and if they don't the drive WILL take care of their family first, and Central can't seem to understand that simple thinking and to a point neither did Vitran in the last few years, upper level management got to preoccupied with the bottom line that they forgot the drivers are the ones who carry the bottom line and if they are to worried about carrying their families then there are none left to carry the bottom line, in centrals case Manny is so far removed money wise he doesn't care about anything except making more and will run over anyone in his way if it will make him one more dollar to quote a former Central management person ( that was fired and hired by the PJAX side of Vitran) this is the way it is if you don't like it I have a stack of applications that will take your job in a second, problem is with that letter going out recently the stack must be getting quite small.
They simply don't get it......You take care of your drivers and the rest will take care of itself.....Give drivers a sense of pride and they will take care of you. From damages to service everything will simply fall into place as it did at Old Dominion...I remember back in the day when Old Dominion was a nasty old scrub line down on Singleton Blvd. in Dallas....Now they have a state of the art place in Dallas and Ft.Worth all built from the ground up with their drivers. Old Dominion understood it was all about the drivers and it has made them the number one LTL company in the U.S.

The legacy of Matty Moroun will be about the Ambassador Bridge and his greed.....His son Matthew can perhaps change the perception of his Father after he passes but honestly I don't care about any of that. Those guys live in a different world than us but in the end they will meet the maker just like us all. If these owners were smart they would find a way to turn things around by treating people with respect and being truthful in the way they treat their employees. One day they will wake up on the other side of life and they better hope they have the right answers....Because no one lives forever and its not very smart to act as if you are. Some people never have enough while other people always have enough.....Those billions won't buy them one more minute when their time comes....Trust me on that one.

I worked at that miserable company for 6 very long years. Now I work 2 jobs but only about 60 hours a week instead of 70+ I make less money than what I made at CT but my quality of life, work life and family life is so much better. It's not about how much money I can make... it's about being happy and safe. Now when I get in a truck I'm not worried that the mechanic that worked on it last was really an abused tire jockey at a CT terminal.

i'm glad i'm out of there, i never wore any of c.t. uniforms when i was there either. i was embarrassed working there to begin with and luckily drove pjax/vitran stickered equipment. that dump will never change and only will get worse. the few former vitran employees that still work there are slowly escaping.