ODFL | Why do OD trucks not have AM/FM radios?

Redeemed

TB Lurker
Credits
Several new drivers at our terminal ask this question and we get different answers from everywhere. Surely it's not to save money. How much can a radio cost?

Do other LTL company's trucks lack radio's too?

Your probably right its not to save money and I have never heard a good reason why. Many have factory installed speakers.
Yes many other carriers do not have radios its probably something that use to cost a lot of money and these old carriers are just to stubborn and conservative to go ahead and have the factory install them.

Your probably right its not to save money and I have never heard a good reason why. Many have factory installed speakers.
Yes many other carriers do not have radios its probably something that use to cost a lot of money and these old carriers are just to stubborn and conservative to go ahead and have the factory install them.

some drivers would tear them up or could not run if there radio was broke.

I asked a safety director about this, he said the reason there are no radios in the truck are because drivers are to picky about it-some want just am/fm, some want am/fm/cassette, some want am/fm/cd. So OD decided since the drivers can't decide, to leave them out.

I asked a safety director about this, he said the reason there are no radios in the truck are because drivers are to picky about it-some want just am/fm, some want am/fm/cassette, some want am/fm/cd. So OD decided since the drivers can't decide, to leave them out.

Ok, that is one of the answers we got too. Along with the thing about drivers tearing them up by wanting to exchange the factory radio for their personal unit. But then they do not change it back over and OD was left with a unit minus a radio when the driver took his personal unit out.

As far as being picky, honestly if I were OD I would put a simple AM/FM unit in the truck and tell the driver no alterations...period. How hard could it be? They basically do it right now stating no alterations to be made outside of attaching power to the post on the dash without it going into OD shop.

i was told that they would get stolen, and tear the dash up doing it, so they just stopped putting them in. i don't know how long the trucks have not had them, but i believe it's been awhile. just my 2 cents.

Ha If drivers did not like them they could always just bring there own like we do now. AM/FM radios are not going to need repair often and would not cost much. OD is just thinking in the 1940s like they often do.

saftey man said the new trucks they buy next are suppose to radios in them. he was in tup a couple of weeks ago, told us in meeting.

I will tell you why they don't put am/fm radio's in the trucks. First of all consider the cost of 5,000 trucks at about 300.00 dollars a truck. Number 2, drivers would steal them out of the trucks. Number 3, Drivers would tear them up especially those who have to jump seat. Sad but true. I don't blame OD for not putting them in trucks, one day drivers are going to see they are their own worst emeny's. Always face the truth. This is why and this is the truth, I have ask corperate on this and drivers have brought this on themsevles. Sorry..but the truth is the truth.

Dollar Bill and Shifter

I will tell you why they don't put am/fm radio's in the trucks. First of all consider the cost of 5,000 trucks at about 300.00 dollars a truck. Number 2, drivers would steal them out of the trucks. Number 3, Drivers would tear them up especially those who have to jump seat. Sad but true. I don't blame OD for not putting them in trucks, one day drivers are going to see they are their own worst emeny's. Always face the truth. This is why and this is the truth, I have ask corperate on this and drivers have brought this on themsevles. Sorry..but the truth is the truth.

I'm agreeing with Dollar Bill and Shifter.I've never seen a more destuctive bunch of people in my life.All departments,all shifts.Few take the responsibility of looking after the equipment they are given to work with.From forklifts to tractors.Why give people more when they're tearing up what they've got ? You can stand at the gate of any terminal,close your eyes and listen to the trucks going in and out.Listen to the sounds of the motors and shifting.Some sound like the driver has just been given a new toy to play with.Some come and go so smooth you would think they had automatic transmissions.Walk on the dock,same thing.The hotroders,the abusive people,the ones that leave their work area a dump always make it harder on everyone else.And it just goes on.......

I'm agreeing with Dollar Bill and Shifter.I've never seen a more destuctive bunch of people in my life.All departments,all shifts.Few take the responsibility of looking after the equipment they are given to work with.From forklifts to tractors.Why give people more when they're tearing up what they've got ? You can stand at the gate of any terminal,close your eyes and listen to the trucks going in and out.Listen to the sounds of the motors and shifting.Some sound like the driver has just been given a new toy to play with.Some come and go so smooth you would think they had automatic transmissions.Walk on the dock,same thing.The hotroders,the abusive people,the ones that leave their work area a dump always make it harder on everyone else.And it just goes on.......

Ok....So where is the supervision in all this?

I agree with you Jim Bob. It's not just with OD, Yellow has the same type of people and I am pretty sure that other companies have theirs. They are only ruining things for themselves and fellow workers

I agree with you Jim Bob. It's not just with OD, Yellow has the same type of people and I am pretty sure that other companies have theirs. They are only ruining things for themselves and fellow workers

No it's not only O.D. You can develop the same opinion by sitting at a stoplight and watch the company trucks pull off or tear off.Stop at a convenience store across the street from a big dock and hear forklifts ripping up and down a dock.No this is a problem most of the companys share.You can blame it on supervision,that's the easiest thing to do,I blame it on the ones that do it.A man has got to realize that the equipment he uses helps make that check he draws.If you drive that forklift or tractor like a fool,then believe it or not,people will think you are a fool and the company you work for is a den of fools.Each man has got to responsible and take responsibility for his actions.It should not be a supervisior problem,he should be the decision of a grown man.

Both of you are right. The individual worker should have enough pride in themselves and what they do not to misuse company property.

But when the individual does not have the pride in themselves to do it right the supervisors have an obligation to address the problems quickly as to set the example for those employees who are trying.

When both the employees and the supervisors are slack you have chaos.

Both of you are right. The individual worker should have enough pride in themselves and what they do not to misuse company property.

But when the individual does not have the pride in themselves to do it right the supervisors have an obligation to address the problems quickly as to set the example for those employees who are trying.

When both the employees and the supervisors are slack you have chaos.

Then they both need to go.

No it's not only O.D. You can develop the same opinion by sitting at a stoplight and watch the company trucks pull off or tear off.Stop at a convenience store across the street from a big dock and hear forklifts ripping up and down a dock.No this is a problem most of the companys share.You can blame it on supervision,that's the easiest thing to do,I blame it on the ones that do it.A man has got to realize that the equipment he uses helps make that check he draws.If you drive that forklift or tractor like a fool,then believe it or not,people will think you are a fool and the company you work for is a den of fools.Each man has got to responsible and take responsibility for his actions.It should not be a supervisior problem,he should be the decision of a grown man.

So if an employee doesn't have enough common sense or courtesy to stop abusing equipment, freight, people etc., isn't it the job of the Supervisor to change said behaviour?

Just what is the Supervisor's job to begin with?

So if an employee doesn't have enough common sense or courtesy to stop abusing equipment, freight, people etc., isn't it the job of the Supervisor to change said behaviour?

Just what is the Supervisor's job to begin with?

As far as the tractors go a driver is pretty much on his own unless he breaks something.Nobody can watch every move they make.On the dock it's a different story.My opinion on changing behavior is not really mainstream.I say if he abuses the equipment fire him and let somebody else worry about him.But that is just my opinion,I am retired and its not my show.They do as they want.