ODFL | Why do OD trucks not have AM/FM radios?

As far as the tractors go a driver is pretty much on his own unless he breaks something.Nobody can watch every move they make.On the dock it's a different story.My opinion on changing behavior is not really mainstream.I say if he abuses the equipment fire him and let somebody else worry about him.But that is just my opinion,I am retired and its not my show.They do as they want.

I politely disagree with you.

Nothing is stopping a company to inspect trucks on an ongoing basis. whether the shop does it during a pm service or a company has a weekly inspection program or a supervisor monitors the drivers vehicle inspection report for any abnormalities, there's a variety of ways to keep equipment in top shape if a supervisor/manager does his/her job.

And, lets don't forget what a progressive discipline policy is all about.

For heavens sake, when a driver was road tested for a new postion, did he/she start ripping a radio out in front of whoever was administering the road test? Did the applicant grind and force gears? etc., etc.

Anyways, maybe you catch my drift.

I politely disagree with you.

Nothing is stopping a company to inspect trucks on an ongoing basis. whether the shop does it during a pm service or a company has a weekly inspection program or a supervisor monitors the drivers vehicle inspection report for any abnormalities, there's a variety of ways to keep equipment in top shape if a supervisor/manager does his/her job.

And, lets don't forget what a progressive discipline policy is all about.

For heavens sake, when a driver was road tested for a new postion, did he/she start ripping a radio out in front of whoever was administering the road test? Did the applicant grind and force gears? etc., etc.

Anyways, maybe you catch my drift.

who are you going to pen point when 3 or more people may drive the same tractor in 1 week.

who are you going to pen point when 3 or more people may drive the same tractor in 1 week.

As a professional, if a driver discovers that some form of abuse on their assigned tractor is discovered during his/her pre-trip, it should be reported to a Supervisor before he/she leaves the barn.

Pretty simple

As a professional, if a driver discovers that some form of abuse on their assigned tractor is discovered during his/her pre-trip, it should be reported to a Supervisor before he/she leaves the barn.

Pretty simple

what does your tm say when you tell that the tractors are nasty **** bottle on the floor a 3 month half eaten big mac.under your seat.

Several new drivers at our terminal ask this question and we get different answers from everywhere. Surely it's not to save money. How much can a radio cost?

Do other LTL company's trucks lack radio's too?

In the late 90's we got some new trucks in with am/fm.Shop in MRT took them out and sent them back to Freightliner.

A radio would be a welcome addition to my city tractor. Who has the time working LTL to do more to the radio then turn it on and off. I run full bore from the time I log in to the time I leave the terminal.If you got time to modify radios you can't be working too hard. I could also find a air-conditioner helpful in july and august, I promise not to tear it up. Ruppnik

A radio would be a welcome addition to my city tractor. Who has the time working LTL to do more to the radio then turn it on and off. I run full bore from the time I log in to the time I leave the terminal.If you got time to modify radios you can't be working too hard. I could also find a air-conditioner helpful in july and august, I promise not to tear it up. Ruppnik

Don't you get a truck with a/c ?

M. Moose, No radio and no air-con. The company supplies a two speed fan to blow on your face. I have used it already this season. No second seat either, but I can sleep on the floor while waiting for a door at the food warehouse. Poor Me. Ruppnik

FeF, Saia, R+L, FeN, UPSF just to name a couple of our so called competitors have radios not to mention am/fm/cd/wx. and our trucks do not have speakers. If you ever go to a hub I'm sure you'll find one with the grills pulled off, and that hole is empty.

The company I work for used to buy radio deleted trucks but their insurance co. told them they had to have them. Reason being that one of the linehaul drivers had a rollover and was killed because of his radio box bouncing around in the cab caused his death. I guess they found some of his grey matter on a corner of the box. Them accident investigators leave no stone unturned i guess!!

M. Moose, No radio and no air-con. The company supplies a two speed fan to blow on your face. I have used it already this season. No second seat either, but I can sleep on the floor while waiting for a door at the food warehouse. Poor Me. Ruppnik

Is that tractor owned by ODFL or ESTES ? You started out on the ESTES forum.

one good reason I've heard so far was if they start putting radios in the new trucks then nobody will want to drive the the ones without them and I can assure you will see a whole lot more road trucks in the city.

one good reason I've heard so far was if they start putting radios in the new trucks then nobody will want to drive the the ones without them and I can assure you will see a whole lot more road trucks in the city.

Welcome to the O.D. forum wolfee.

i heard in GBO that they have a couple of 07's with AM/FM now... whether that's true or not i don't know but i think it was Glenn that told me

unfortuneitly, if the "men" that were driveing these trucks were mature enough to relize, city or road, that takeing care of the equipment was in all of our best interests, wouldnt' matter how old some of these trucks are, -if there kept serviced- they would all be in good condition. but the mind set of most drivers, is i'll get the company back for something i didnt like that they did to me, change my run or what ever, so they beat the #^&@ out of equipment. but in reality, your only hurting yourself or fellow driver, cause company doesnt care how trashy you keep the trucks, or how you let them for fellow drivers. other than that they stay in service and make more money. and the more guys trash them, service is probaly going to be minium for keeping them legal. and this opion is for all LTL's out there, not just OD, cause we go through same complaints were i work as you guys do.

i heard in GBO that they have a couple of 07's with AM/FM now... whether that's true or not i don't know but i think it was Glenn that told me

Glad to have you on the O.D. forum Whistler,you got to watch Glenn.Are you a friend of Mr. Duck ?

thanks... not that i know of but it's possible that i have met him in GBO since i am there mon - fri... i had a talk with the safety guy in Kansas City Friday morning and he said that all the new trucks OD is getting are coming with factory installed AM/FM and the lane change device and he also said that OD is experimenting with the electronic logs but unless the price comes down on those we won't be going to them full time... have fun, be safe and run away from GBO as fast as you can :)

No Way

The only trucks with radio's in them are the assigned trucks with that specific drivers' radio.OD WILL NOT put factory radio's in their trucks.