SAIA | Why do we do this?

I drive a single, on a pup run. Normally, you can run a pup set with up to 43,000 as long as the lead trailer doesn't exceed 23,00 or so. Anything above that and you are getting into overload territory. Pulling a van, with a single, you start getting into overload territory with anything over 34 or 35,000 lbs. I've got a local dispatcher, who swears up and down that you can pull a van with 40,000 and be legal, we've been down that road so many times, we've worn it out.
As a former line haul driver I understand exactly what your saying. I don't need to go over the math. Do you know anyone that has been caught? And if so, what were the consequences from the company. I know the consequences from the DOT but what has been the companies stance that you are aware of?

Ump is right, I've never had a dock or dispatcher question what the scale numbers are and I've never had a problem getting weight taken off. However, what if you're picking up a load at a barn that doesn't have a scale? How do you verify the weights?
If you can't verify the weights how do you know it's over weight. I can't think of too many places that you can't find a scale someplace. $10 is worth it to be legal. Or just don't pull it if your not sure.

The problem with local scales is that they are built to weigh gross weight, not individual pup axles. I am more concerned with over axle situations then being over gross. Over the years, I've scaled thousands of pup sets, 48's ,and 53's with singles or tandems. By taking the manifests weights at face value, which is becoming more and more of a crap shoot, I believe I have a pretty good idea if a load is good, close, or over. If a load looks good or close, and a scale is not available, I will not say anything and just pull it. If the load is going to a meet site, then I call my meet man to make sure that he is ok with it. If I am going to a barn with a scale, I might scale it just to see what's what. But, if a load is in the over group and the lead trailer is more than 23 or 24,000, then I will make a call to Dispatch and lay out my concerns about an over axle / weight safety issue. Dispatchers are like dock or terminal supervisors, they don't want their names associated with a reported safety issue, have a trail which shows that they refused to fix the problem, to the drivers satisfaction, and then have the safety issue blow up on them. Usually, they'll cave and make other arrangements. Usually, not always, but at least you tried, you have the call time on your cell phone history, and you have the dispatchers name. Again, I would call my meet man to get his 2 cents worth. Refusing to pull a load is bordering on termination territory. You have to make the call and put someone on the gallows with you.

Last edited:
As a former line haul driver I understand exactly what your saying. I don't need to go over the math. Do you know anyone that has been caught? And if so, what were the consequences from the company. I know the consequences from the DOT but what has been the companies stance that you are aware of?

I've heard stories. Some are recent, like the guy from my barn who got caught with a load from a dark terminal, which didn't have a scale. There was a ticket, but to my knowledge, the terminal got the spanking and not him. I don't know what the company's stance is but I can guess. Someone is going to be held accountable since a weight violation goes against the safety reputation of the company. If you have doubts about the load, I would recommend you report those doubts before you pass the gate.

I've heard stories. Some are recent, like the guy from my barn who got caught with a load from a dark terminal, which didn't have a scale. There was a ticket, but to my knowledge, the terminal got the spanking and not him. I don't know what the company's stance is but I can guess. Someone is going to be held accountable since a weight violation goes against the safety reputation of the company. If you have doubts about the load, I would recommend you report those doubts before you pass the gate.
Dracula your a seasoned veteran and no one can tell you anything you don't already know. You know you can't be forced to do something illegal. Let's all just have common sense and cover our backside and let the chips fall where they may. Whether your city or line haul it's a pretty good idea to record your conversations with management. It's really easy to do with today's technology without them ever even knowing. It's hard to say you didn't say something when it's recorded. Just be careful how and when to use your information. Rest assured it's to your advantage when they never see you coming. Play stupid until it's time to not play stupid.

Last edited:
About year ago I got an over axle weight ticket pulling out of a dark terminal. I just turned ticket into my terminal manager never heard anything else about it. Checked my CSA score no points. Weight ticket in TX does not count against your CSA.

Reactions: Ump
As professional drivers, it is our responsibility to only pull legal loads. Running overweight causes damage to equipment and infrastructure. Just doesn't make any sense, so don't do it. They can either make the load legal or it gets reworked. Not that difficult, that's what they get paid for and is their responsibility to make sure it's legal. Don't do something stupid for the sake of moving freight. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

About year ago I got an over axle weight ticket pulling out of a dark terminal. I just turned ticket into my terminal manager never heard anything else about it. Checked my CSA score no points. Weight ticket in TX does not count against your CSA.
Back in the mid 80s was working in oil field, I got a speeding ticket which I was speeding on my personal vehicle, got a letter from the state of Texas saying my license was being suspended for habitual offender. Come to find out I had 47 over weight tickets. It's hard to scale a load out in the field and doesn't take much to be over even with a permit load. Long story short moving down the highway and getting a over weight ticket is considered a moving violation, so I would assume they do count.

Back in the mid 80s was working in oil field, I got a speeding ticket which I was speeding on my personal vehicle, got a letter from the state of Texas saying my license was being suspended for habitual offender. Come to find out I had 47 over weight tickets. It's hard to scale a load out in the field and doesn't take much to be over even with a permit load. Long story short moving down the highway and getting a over weight ticket is considered a moving violation, so I would assume they do count.
Pops..it's not the 80's anymore.

Do you think that having "47 over weight tickets " could have been the reason? Over gross and over axle are two different tickets, over gross is about 3 times more $$$ than over axle in TX.

Do you think that having "47 over weight tickets " could have been the reason? Over gross and over axle are two different tickets, over gross is about 3 times more $$$ than over axle in TX.
No back then it was decided by the local jp all I'm saying is over weight is a moving violation but there wasn't a problem until I got the speeding, even I was surprised I had that many on a 3 yr period

No back then it was decided by the local jp all I'm saying is over weight is a moving violation but there wasn't a problem until I got the speeding, even I was surprised I had that many on a 3 yr period

I can't speak to how it was in the 80's, but an overweight citation isn't a moving violation in this day and age. I've had one over gross and one over axle violation in recent years and there is no trace of either of them on my driving record.

I can't speak to how it was in the 80's, but an overweight citation isn't a moving violation in this day and age. I've had one over gross and one over axle violation in recent years and there is no trace of either of them on my driving record.
It's not a moving violation but from my understanding it does raise insurance premiums for many trucking companies. Where these guys come up with some of this stuff amazes me.

... Over gross and over axle are two different tickets, over gross is about 3 times more $$$ than over axle in TX.

And I think that's a bit odd. Over axle is more of a safety issue. I'm in a "unlimited weight" state and could run 92g with a single axle set. Don't think 81,200 does anyone (except SOS coffers) any harm.