ODFL | Why do we let guys get away with ripping the dolly lines?

BillyLo

Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion
Credits
I've seen three dollies in the past month with the lines ripped and then hidden like nothing happens. You give someone the equipment number to track down who did it and no one cares. To me this is considered an accident with the driver being one step away from dropping a trailer because they're in such a hurry. No wonder we keep having so many serious accidents with these super school truckers we keep hiring.

I've seen three dollies in the past month with the lines ripped and then hidden like nothing happens. You give someone the equipment number to track down who did it and no one cares. To me this is considered an accident with the driver being one step away from dropping a trailer because they're in such a hurry. No wonder we keep having so many serious accidents with these super school truckers we keep hiring.
Can't answers that.. So did you dead line them?

Geez Billy...we might as well add trailers with no tread on tires, brakes worn out on dollies too. Pulled a dolly from HER this weekend and if there was 1/8 inck of shoes on it that would be giving it something. Then had a trailer that the OUTSIDE tire on the right side had only one groove on it and it was on the inside part of the tire.. Guess guys still dont know there is a right side to our equipment. Just sad that drivers do not have the TIME to do a 10 minute pretrip/walkaround. Guess its the "LEAVE IT FOR THE NEXT GUY" syndrome. ON the good side, atleast they had air in them unlike where I just came from where the driver went to leave the yard and the tire fell off the rim then he told management he had a flat tire..LOL

I just figure its a personal thing to be sure that the equipment you hand off to the next driver is in the best condition it can be. It doesn't take that much time to do the job right. I really wonder what they teach guys in schools any more? Scary to think just how many pieces of equipment are going down the road just waiting to cause a major accident...and believe me its not just here, it has become a real problem in our PROFESSION today..too many steering wheel holders and not enough drivers any more..just say'n

I just figure its a personal thing to be sure that the equipment you hand off to the next driver is in the best condition it can be. It doesn't take that much time to do the job right. I really wonder what they teach guys in schools any more? Scary to think just how many pieces of equipment are going down the road just waiting to cause a major accident...and believe me its not just here, it has become a real problem in our PROFESSION today..too many steering wheel holders and not enough drivers any more..just say'n
The schools are teaching everything a driver needs to know. If you can't pass a break check or pre trip you don't get a license.

This is a personal thing. You either care about your job or you don't. I've never considered myself a "truck driver", in fact I'm the quintessential steering wheel holder you speak of. I went to USTD, and learned how to pre and post trip. Never owned my own rig or had to plan out a trip. But I did have good examples of how to do the job the correct way. Senior drivers took the time to talk to me and show me how and why it's important to keep your equipment up. When I got into the LTL side it made even more sense to me to check my equipment. Last thing I want to do is be delayed and have someone waiting on me. Or worse yet, bring them faulty equipment causing them delay.

You're not going to change people, so why try. Instead, I do my job, and get a good chuckle when the guy bitching about getting out late because of a flat with all his buddies is the same guy that dropped and fueled in 5 minutes the day before.

Does it do any good to complain. Nothing is ever done about it. Maybe that's why it takes me a little longer to pretrip. Also when I hook or drop, no phone, no one talking to me. As Song said I have a pattern and it doesn't include chatting with someone, including a female.

Does it do any good to complain. Nothing is ever done about it. Maybe that's why it takes me a little longer to pretrip. Also when I hook or drop, no phone, no one talking to me. As Song said I have a pattern and it doesn't include chatting with someone, including a female.

If you got women running up to you at your meet points maybe I need to jump back into linehaul, but trust me boy the women are impressed when I stop by inside delivering beauty salon products.

If you got women running up to you at your meet points maybe I need to jump back into linehaul, but trust me boy the women are impressed when I stop by inside delivering beauty salon products.
Didn't say there's women there, talking on the phone with girlfriends, wives which throws the pattern off.

Last edited:
Ump hit the nail on the head..Its a personal thing. Us old farts know the importance of inspections and this new generation just wants to get home. You are right, nothing better than seeing a guy Complaon about having a flat or lights that dont work and now it effects him and his time but he forgets he does the samd thing to the next guy. Everyone needs to remember that there is a RIGHT SIDE to check also. I have come to grips that things are not going to change and I just do my job the best I can so I don't ruin someone else"s day

Watched some new line kid walk up to a tractor in his sleeveless shirts never opened the hood and just went and hooked his trailers and peeled out of the yard. W2G.

Watched some new line kid walk up to a tractor in his sleeveless shirts never opened the hood and just went and hooked his trailers and peeled out of the yard. W2G.

Did you get a good look at this guy? "Putin wears sleeveless shirts"

Reactions: Ump