FedEx Freight | Why do you NOT want the union

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's what the company had asked us to do...for the future of the company...then yes....but I've been here 20 years and this company has never asked me to do such. Even during the most recent depression, it was management that took the concessions, NOT the employees. We did go one year with no raise but we've never lost anything....and I'd also say we have a wage and benefits pkg that few companies can rival....just as most in our industry does.

It seems like you did.

We as drivers did take a cut (concession). Remember the quarterly bonus? While we were never "asked" to take that concession, we clearly lost it. Worst part? We have still not gotten it back... Did we agree to those terms, giving up what was used to offset lower raises in the year it was created?

We as drivers did take a cut (concession). Remember the quarterly bonus? While we were never "asked" to take that concession, we clearly lost it. Worst part? We have still not gotten it back... Did we agree to those terms, giving up what was used to offset lower raises in the year it was created?
That was a bonus...bonuses are awarded if certain criteria is met, it was never guaranteed.

I think you may have misread the article, where did it say he was brutally beaten and stabbed and he returned to work the next day?
I've read it twice and I still can't find it....please help!
I did misread the article, but I stand by what I said about never in my time of being in the teamsters union have I ever been threatened in any way!! Again I did misread the article!!!!

Hmmm... I suspect it would include both.

Historically, Public sector jobs didn't pay as well as the private sector, but in return they offered good benefits and the highest degree of stability and job security.
Historically, public sector jobs have no competition....this leads to higher wages and bennies and it's the taxpayers who are held hostage/accountable.

"Since 1980, public sector union compensation rose to nearly $70,000 per worker, representing about a 40 percent increase from 1980, but private sector union compensation rises to only about $60,000, representing about a 20 percent increase from 1980. The gap tends to become larger during the recessions of the early 1990s and also the Great Recession, reflecting slower compensation growth in the private but not the public sector. Moreover, this rising compensation differential between the public and private sector unions may be significantly understated, as it does not include pension benefits, which tend to be more generous in the public sector."....Lee E. Ohanian

Last edited:
That was a bonus...bonuses are awarded if certain criteria is met, it was never guaranteed.

NO, I don't recall the word guaranteed ever being used, but we were PROMISED that we would receive said bonus if those criteria were met. We meet most of those criteria. More than enough to qualify for the quarterly bonus, if it had not been TAKEN away. It seems that concession was permanent, don't you think?

Historically, public sector jobs have no competition....this leads to higher wages and bennies and it's the taxpayers who are held hostage/accountable.

"Since 1980, public sector union compensation rose to nearly $70,000 per worker, representing about a 40 percent increase from 1980, but private sector union compensation rises to only about $60,000, representing about a 20 percent increase from 1980. The gap tends to become larger during the recessions of the early 1990s and also the Great Recession, reflecting slower compensation growth in the private but not the public sector. Moreover, this rising compensation differential between the public and private sector unions may be significantly understated, as it does not include pension benefits, which tend to be more generous in the public sector."....Lee E. Ohanian
We agree on public sector Union, Red.. What I stated was true, historically. Also true is what you stated, as far as the gap between public & private. The problem is, in the public sector, there is no market force to balance the equation. Also no profit margin needed, to balance the demands. There is no reason for public sector compensation to outpace the private sector, but you are right, is has since the 80s.

The problem is, in the public sector, there is no market force to balance the equation. Also no profit margin needed, to balance the demands. There is no reason for public sector compensation to outpace the private sector, but you are right, is has since the 80s.

Those are some of the reasons public sector compensation outpaces the private sector. It is also a major contributor to the study's findings that union wages average x amount more than non-union wages.

I don't want a union here because if I wanted a union, I would have hired on at a union carrier long ago. If you want a union job, go get one. Oops, there aren't many of those left because of bad management of the union.

ST

So it doesn't bother you when the teamsters leave people hung out to dry after promising them the moon. Typical attitude for the so called brotherhood.
Examples please. I was not hung out to dry and have been in constant contact with the IBT and the local. They didn't promise me a damned thing. One thing I learned throughout this campaign is that I work with a lot of snakes. Guys talking out of both sides of their mouths. They say they're for the union but run to management when they find out any tidbit of information. It's flat out selfishness that drives these snakes. While I admire their will of self-preservation, doing at my expense will not be taken lightly from myself or brothers. So while you take the stance of the rest of the anti-union fan boys, find out what a brotherhood means. While you're at it, ask someone on the organizing committee about what actually happened. Your arguments are laced in ignorance until then.

Examples please. I was not hung out to dry and have been in constant contact with the IBT and the local. They didn't promise me a damned thing. One thing I learned throughout this campaign is that I work with a lot of snakes. Guys talking out of both sides of their mouths. They say they're for the union but run to management when they find out any tidbit of information. It's flat out selfishness that drives these snakes. While I admire their will of self-preservation, doing at my expense will not be taken lightly from myself or brothers. So while you take the stance of the rest of the anti-union fan boys, find out what a brotherhood means. While you're at it, ask someone on the organizing committee about what actually happened. Your arguments are laced in ignorance until then.
But your argument goes both ways, there's snakes on both sides. It's no different than the pro-union guys telling the anti's they're against the union, then run back and tell everyone at the hall what the anti's are doing in order to thwart their efforts.
I agree, it's selfishness that drives these snakes!
I also agree, I respect those who stand up for what they believe, but doing so at our expense will be remembered and not taken lightly either.
Brotherhood? They should first find the meaning of friendship...a true friend doesn't look one in the eye and lie to his face!

But your argument goes both ways, there's snakes on both sides. It's no different than the pro-union guys telling the anti's they're against the union, then run back and tell everyone at the hall what the anti's are doing in order to thwart their efforts.
I agree, it's selfishness that drives these snakes!
I also agree, I respect those who stand up for what they believe, but doing so at our expense will be remembered and not taken lightly either.
Brotherhood? They should first find the meaning of friendship...a true friend doesn't look one in the eye and lie to his face!
What lies are you referring to? I can site multiple instances of anti union guys lying to their fellow driver, whether it be someone on the fence they never spoke to before or someone they consider a friend.

What lies are you referring to? I can site multiple instances of anti union guys lying to their fellow driver, whether it be someone on the fence they never spoke to before or someone they consider a friend.
The lie was looking a driver in the eye and telling him he'd NEVER vote for the union, then running down to the hall and spewing everything he thought he knew.
You see, there's moles on both sides, both sides know who's telling the lies...that's also where the friendship comment came from.

The lie was looking a driver in the eye and telling him he'd NEVER vote for the union, then running down to the hall and spewing everything he thought he knew.
You see, there's moles on both sides, both sides know who's telling the lies...that's also where the friendship comment came from.

I can honestly say that I didn't have anyone reporting what anti union guys were doing and frankly, I didn't care. I tried to run a clean campaign and present facts. I don't know what happened at other terminals but I can tell you firsthand that we had guys sign cards, milk for information, run to management, then when the petition was filed call the NLRB to get their cards back to try and thwart an election.

While I can not say the experience you are relaying is lie, you will not receive one bit a pity from me about it. I've had anti union guys pull my criminal docket, misconstrue charges, and flat out slander me. Sounds like the "mole" you speak of at least kept it business, not personal. I seen the true colors of many of my fellow co-worker and I will say that I am ashamed. I thought I worked with better people than I do.

Our committee was a dozen guys vs. a fortune 100 company. We were of the first to get this thing going and the teamsters didn't know what to do with us. Meanwhile, FedEx called Jackson Lewis and opened up their deep pockets. The anti-union guys were happy to go along with the things management couldn't legally carry out on their own.

It's doesn't take much intestinal fortitude to side with Goliath, even when you know it isn't the just thing to do. Most have been handsomely rewarded for their loyalty and dirty tactics on behalf of the almighty FedEx here at North Harrisburg. Me? I've got a target on my back the size of the capitol building in and I couldn't be happier. I can be proud of keeping it honest and straight forward. Lead by example.

I can honestly say that I didn't have anyone reporting what anti union guys were doing and frankly, I didn't care. I tried to run a clean campaign and present facts. I don't know what happened at other terminals but I can tell you firsthand that we had guys sign cards, milk for information, run to management, then when the petition was filed call the NLRB to get their cards back to try and thwart an election.

While I can not say the experience you are relaying is lie, you will not receive one bit a pity from me about it. I've had anti union guys pull my criminal docket, misconstrue charges, and flat out slander me. Sounds like the "mole" you speak of at least kept it business, not personal. I seen the true colors of many of my fellow co-worker and I will say that I am ashamed. I thought I worked with better people than I do.

Our committee was a dozen guys vs. a fortune 100 company. We were of the first to get this thing going and the teamsters didn't know what to do with us. Meanwhile, FedEx called Jackson Lewis and opened up their deep pockets. The anti-union guys were happy to go along with the things management couldn't legally carry out on their own.

It's doesn't take much intestinal fortitude to side with Goliath, even when you know it isn't the just thing to do. Most have been handsomely rewarded for their loyalty and dirty tactics on behalf of the almighty FedEx here at North Harrisburg. Me? I've got a target on my back the size of the capitol building in and I couldn't be happier. I can be proud of keeping it honest and straight forward. Lead by example.
But is it not their right afforded to them by the law to get their cards back? People change their minds everyday.

For the most part yes, it's been all business here but the pro guys have the attitude that you're either with us or you're against us. I'm am/was friends with all, now most of them won't even look at us, much less talk to us, just because we oppose their movement. Childish IMO but that's just my opinion.

I haven't seen any favoritism here toward anyone, everybody is still treated the same by management...fair and by the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.