Why Does College Cost So Much?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SuperCourse, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Elwood

Elwood Question Authority

He's on fire!
    (Hopefully not, really!)

Woody and Magoo like this.
  2. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I don't want to see everyone going to college, since higher education isn't for everyone. I would be in favor of a certain (extremely high) grade point average that would give every kid above that GPA a better opportunity to go, regardless of family income. But, the advantage should only be with low or interest free loans, not free. Free should come from academic scholarships only. The general public's tax dollars should not be used to send kids to college, since the majority of the citizens don't have a kid in college, so it's not their burden.

3. Northern Flash

Part of the higher prices are to cover the cost of those who got those loans and never paid it all back. Sounds a lot like the housing crisis to me.

4. Elwood

One cannot default on student loans.

Magoo likes this.
  5. Northern Flash

That's what you think. How is the Govt. going to get the money out of them when it's due?

6. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

You have a narrow mind, you can only speak for yourself, you have no idea what the other guy goes through do you?
    For instance if we put you in a class for advanced mathematics how well would you compete with the Einstein's, probably not well at all.
    Even if you really really really tried hard and did lots & lots of homework you couldn't do it could you.
    Or maybe its music could you play with the professionals?
    Could you keep up with a NBA player?
    So you aren't equal to them are you?, Not in the least you were born with certaines aptitudes and talents that you might be able to develope if you really try. But you probably aren't really talented in any of those area.
    So you became a truck driver and worked hard like most other people.
    Good for you, your not exceptional you're just the norm, thats what parents do.
    What you really need to work on is empathy for your fellow man.
    Calling me bad names won't help you much. The whole world is full of people and you know nothing about them or do you care to.
    Thats my wish for you, take a walk in the other man's flip flops

7. Elwood

GPA is not an accurate reflection of aptitude. Standardized testing was the norm in my youth. Presently even SAT's are skewed, a mediocre reflection of competency and potential. I cannot offer a solution, but I do know that 'no child left behind' did not work and as a result, those of higher function suffered immensely.

8. Northern Flash

Yep, and I know that some kids don't test well either, but that's the only gauge that we have.

9. Elwood

Debtor's prison? :17142:

Not what I think, truth.

One cannot default on student loans. One may choose not to pay and accept consequences. Big difference.

10. Magoo

They will keep your tax return if you get one. Then they can garnish your wages and they can take your bank account. Then you will have this black mark on your credit report if you're trying to buy a home it can make it rough. And you can't fix it with bankruptcy.
    Your ****ed!

11. Elwood

Evidently, you are not an educator, nor have you any propensity, as such.

Magoo likes this.
  12. Northern Flash

d
    Since I only know my own specifics......yep, that makes perfect sense.

Nope I'm not equal to them, but they aren't equal to me when it comes to navigating a truck around in tight situations and backing straight into a loading dock. That's why they play music etc. and I've been in the trucking industry and the business world. They have their specialty and I have mine.

Hook me up with any of these people that you are speaking of and we'll have a truck driving competition, and we'll see how they stack up against me.

Don't overlook the lazy people that have never made an attempt to work hard.

Wrong again. Society has gone to crap, and for the most part, it's because of piss poor parenting.

I have tons of empathy for people who try and fail, but very little empathy for those who refuse to try.

Don't go getting all pussified on us, I've been there, so I know exactly what it's like. But I'm tired of paying for people that don't even try. (Not accusing you, but I see those who don't even try, every single day.) And I'm sick of paying their way for them.

13. Northern Flash

You just made my point for me. Many don't get a tax return, many don't have a good job to garnish the wages from, don't have good credit, and don't have money in the bank.
    So they get the loan and pay it back if they feel like it, since they have very little to lose if they don't.

Woody likes this.
  14. Northern Flash

Wow. You sound quite professional. You really put me in my place.
    :biglaugh:

Now, instead of throwing out worthless attempts at insults, why don't you respond.

15. Magoo

I get sick of paying the water bill too but we're stuck doing it aren't we.
    Before you know it we will be dead and won't have to anymore yeah!

16. Northern Flash

Yep. And nobody ever goes into default on their home or car do they?

17. Northern Flash

If you don't want to pay your water bill, just stop paying it. Problem solved.

Oh, wait......the water company knows how to squeeze blood out of a turnip.....according to Elwood.

18. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

Dems need to look into big college, these outrageous costs sound like corporate greed the likes of which this nation has never before.

19. Northern Flash

Nope. They won't look in to big education. They only attack big oil, big corporation, and the "vast Military Industrial Complex". {or however they spew that anti-military b.s.}
    Big education is big Liberalism, so it gets a pass.

20. Elwood

I am 'quite professional.'

I did not insult, I stated an observation.

You stated, to paraphrase, that standardized testing is the only gauge we have.

I said you are not an educator, nor have you any propensity, as such.

You have not taught in a classroom, I have.

You have not counseled students in professional setting, while receiving financial compensation, I have.

Because of idiotic legislation, e.g. 'No child left behind,' we satisfy test score standards, rather than teach.

Stating that test scores are the only gauge we have, brings to light that you are not an educator and that you have no propensity as such!

If you are insulted by my educated observations, that is not my problem.