Why Does College Cost So Much?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SuperCourse, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

Free, free, free. Sorry, but somebody has to pay for it. Nothing is free for everyone. Could you imagine the cost of our beloved Govt. setting up a computer system for college courses? And we think that the Obamacare program was a debacle. Wow.

If you give a kid a free car, it will be destroyed in no time. Make the kid pay for the car with some or all of their own money, and watch how well they take care of it.

Free college will be abused by those same principles.

2. SuperCourse

SuperCourse WHO IS JOHN GALT?

Saw one where there was 2 young guys, 20 somethings, both looked buff like they could go out and compete in an Iron Man competition. Both were on SS Disability and had medical marijuana prescriptions. Sore backs.

Woody and Northern Flash like this.
  3. Northern Flash

Our current system is set up for this type of fraud. These types of people just pick the low hanging fruit.

4. SuperCourse

Bought my first car from my dad for $100, he gave me a deal, could have got $150 for it. However I did destroy it in no time but had a lot of fun doing it. I still wonder how I lived through those years.

Woody and Northern Flash like this.
  5. EX396

EX396 Well-Known Member

If you have kids, take responsibility and make choices so that you can provide options for your kids when the time comes. Do you really need that new $45K pickup truck or should you perhaps send your kid to an in-state public university while they live at home? Too many will buy that pick up truck on payments, and then send their kid to school on student loans.

Make sure you are getting a good return on the investment. "C's get degrees, but they don't get my money"

6. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

OK then stop complaining about the cost & suck it up.
    You apparently think the way it is is OK.
    In one post you rant about how the cost of things are killing you, then the next don't want to change
    jeeeze have some consistency will ya No Wonder your party is so ****ed up they take both sides of an issue.

7. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

I agree about the new car on the other hand a lot of families don't have much extra left over anymore. And not a thing wrong with State schools and Community colleges, teaching is better in community colleges anyway. Not getting to go to the hip private college is a good lesson it sucks being poor get a good education and do the best you can.

8. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

It's to expensive. ... you can keep your planes, trains, and big Trucks.... it's a scam. ..
    Do your own Work..... then in 10 yrs the cost will drop "Hopefully"?

9. Northern Flash

I don't believe in doubling down on stupidity.

10. Woody

Woody Sons of Trump

It's like a third titty.... $500 in ....just get graduate school by then....scam alert....scam alert. ...... get Inn when it collapses !!

11. EX396

EX396 Well-Known Member

Saving for college doesn't come out of the "extra left over" money, it comes from the money that you have before you pay for your high speed internet, premium cable and fancy BS coffee every morning.

12. falconfan

falconfan Well-Known Member

Mostly the first 1.5 to 2 years of college are bogus. Intro courses are filler. There are some who are inspired by those years, but for the most part, general education courses expand the horizonsof the learner. It is not a bad thing, just an expensive luxury added to a degree that could be more efficiently acquired with a two year program of focus on each particular specialization. (the difference in an 'arts' degree and a 'science' degree, if you will)

I thought those years were fore beer pong, beer bongs, wild keg parties and GIRLS.I was fibbed too.

Beer pong anyone???

[​IMG]

13. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

had something similar when I was in construction, this guy moved into a house we had just finished for the City of Cleveland (they were taking the old abandoned houses bulldozing them building new "affordable" housing and essentially given them away- a few I went back too were trashed within weeks) So I'm talking to this guy, he is ripped moving his weights into the basement, he told me he was on disability(back) and did not work. Called office Friday afternoon with a leak, told him we could have someone there in an hour, he had to leave so Monday we would come out.
    His basement flooded, he threw the chain for his heavy bag over the 2 3/4" water lines breaking them, would not let us in the house and never shut off the water. He wanted me to pay for all the stuff destroyed in his basement. Our agreement was we will fix the water lines, he was SOL on his stuff and I would not contact the authorites

14. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

had something similar when I was in construction, this guy moved into a house we had just finished for the City of Cleveland (they were taking the old abandoned houses bulldozing them building new "affordable" housing and essentially given them away- a few I went back too were trashed within weeks) So I'm talking to this guy, he is ripped moving his weights into the basement, he told me he was on disability(back) and did not work. Called office Friday afternoon with a leak, told him we could have someone there in an hour, he had to leave so Monday we would come out.
    His basement flooded, he threw the chain for his heavy bag over the 2 3/4" water lines breaking them, would not let us in the house and never shut off the water. He wanted me to pay for all the stuff destroyed in his basement. Our agreement was we will fix the water lines, he was SOL on his stuff and I would not contact the authorites

15. SuperCourse

It's scary out there. You'd like to think these are isolated cases but sadly it's not.