Yellow | Why it sucks to drive a truck

Free Dumb

TB Regular
Credits
First reason is the trucks. 1. Too noisy 2. No headrest 3. 9 speed was not good enough they had to put in a 10 with an awkward shift from lo to hi 4. what is wrong with a fifth wheel release that pulls straight out? They had to come up with some that have to be pulled up to just the right height before they can be pulled out.

Second reason is HOS. 1.You have to be off 10 hours before you can drive again, OK, what about after you have been off 20 hours and then they call you to work and that is somehow perfectly legal. Or you been on layoff for 4 months and they call you at midnight to do 500 mile run. If you are on call you should have a six hour window each day to be called and if you aren't called you should be paid something for your time.

Third is the company adding bull crap rules. 1. Some ****** is spinning the landing gear handle and hits him or herself in the face, causing pain and bleeding, and laughter if you seen it. Then the company makes a nationwide rule for the rest of time, that you can not spin the handle, have to hold it and turn it the slow way. Every stupid mistake is another rule for the people who did not make the mistake. The 3 point entry into the truck, some companies won't even let you have a piece of paper in your hand saying it might cause you to slip, when again the reason is some guy fell out of his cab was because he came out facing forward and carrying a radio box and then lied about it.

I could go on and on and on but I will give some of you a chance to add some of your gripes because i am tired of typing.

Had to add just one more: truck drivers. 1. They pass you and then cut right in front of you. 2. If you pass them they flash their light in your mirror. 3. When on slow truck is passing the other the ***** in the right land will not slow down for 10 seconds in order to keep a line of people from having to wait 5 minutes for the pass. 4. a 65 mph truck will pull out in front of a 72 mph truck to pass a 64.5 mph truck when there was plenty of time for the 72 mph truck to go by. 5. A truck at a stop sign will wait for a line of cars for 5 minutes and then pull out in front of another truck.

I've been kicking myself for 30 years for settling to only being a trucker, shoulda, coulda, woulda now I'm to old and EF'd up to be anything else.

First reason is the trucks. 1. Too noisy 2. No headrest 3. 9 speed was not good enough they had to put in a 10 with an awkward shift from lo to hi 4. what is wrong with a fifth wheel release that pulls straight out? They had to come up with some that have to be pulled up to just the right height before they can be pulled out.

Second reason is HOS. 1.You have to be off 10 hours before you can drive again, OK, what about after you have been off 20 hours and then they call you to work and that is somehow perfectly legal. Or you been on layoff for 4 months and they call you at midnight to do 500 mile run. If you are on call you should have a six hour window each day to be called and if you aren't called you should be paid something for your time.

Third is the company adding bull crap rules. 1. Some ****** is spinning the landing gear handle and hits him or herself in the face, causing pain and bleeding, and laughter if you seen it. Then the company makes a nationwide rule for the rest of time, that you can not spin the handle, have to hold it and turn it the slow way. Every stupid mistake is another rule for the people who did not make the mistake. The 3 point entry into the truck, some companies won't even let you have a piece of paper in your hand saying it might cause you to slip, when again the reason is some guy fell out of his cab was because he came out facing forward and carrying a radio box and then lied about it.

I could go on and on and on but I will give some of you a chance to add some of your gripes because i am tired of typing.

Had to add just one more: truck drivers. 1. They pass you and then cut right in front of you. 2. If you pass them they flash their light in your mirror. 3. When on slow truck is passing the other the ***** in the right land will not slow down for 10 seconds in order to keep a line of people from having to wait 5 minutes for the pass. 4. a 65 mph truck will pull out in front of a 72 mph truck to pass a 64.5 mph truck when there was plenty of time for the 72 mph truck to go by. 5. A truck at a stop sign will wait for a line of cars for 5 minutes and then pull out in front of another truck.

Dido on all, especially ur last mention. I was stuck behind a fed ground going across I-70 last night in a construction
zone, speed limit posted 55mph. But Airhead driver drives 35mph causing a long back-up. Then as we leave slower zone
the LOSER AIRHEAD driver start swerving unto the shoulder and back to the lane and back and forth being unsafe.
Doggs life in trucking.

Well a lot of guys don't think so!!! They gave up 15% cash and a pension to keep doing it, must be the prestige of it.
As for me, I made the right decision, I couldn't get on American Bandstand!

Personally.....I love trucks....it fed my family....built my house....paid for my house....put a Son through college debt free.....never in my life have I ever been ashamed of being a truck driver......that is the difference in us "Old School" drivers and the new generation....Keep On Truckin'.....KK

Well a lot of guys don't think so!!! They gave up 15% cash and a pension to keep doing it, must be the prestige of it.
As for me, I made the right decision, I couldn't get on American Bandstand!
what was the right decision? to quit driving a truck?

Personally.....I love trucks....it fed my family....built my house....paid for my house....put a Son through college debt free.....never in my life have I ever been ashamed of being a truck driver......that is the difference in us "Old School" drivers and the new generation....Keep On Truckin'.....KK
I don't envy you guys who think this way I just think you're weird! My Dad owned a trucking company that sent him to an early grave, as a young kid I said many a time that I would never be a trucker. Well here I am 30 some years later and wishing I had taken my own advise, can't say it's all been bad, kinda 50/50 but yrc and the onion have soured me to no end.

Really? No ::shit::? I had no idea! You've never given us any indication of that.:LMAO::LMAO:
I can no longer sit back and allow company infiltration, company indoctrination, company subversion, and the IBT's/company concocted conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

So whatever happened to change all of that for the new generation? I wouldn't wish what we have in the trucking industry now, onion or non onion, on my worst enemy. Well, except ceo bill and vice-ceo jimmy, to let them enjoy and experience what the 2 of them have sowed for the members!

I heard something like that from my former shop steward, how good the job has been to HIM. He had a bid job and was nearing his final days all set to cash out. I asked him to put himself in young Rob's shoes and the guy didn't blink and said the guy needs to get out of trucking, it went to hell.
Rob had a big mortgage, he didn't pay $25,000 for a house like the shop steward did who enjoyed the benefits of high inflation in the late 70's turning his monthly mortgage into a joke and Rob had 2 pre-schoolers at home.

A couple of years ago a driver retired from Yellow, found the internet and posted he wouldn't advise anyone to look to trucking as a career today even though the job was good to him, he wouldn't want to be starting out today as a newbie, he coasted out the last years of his career on a good bid run and saw what the new guys had to do TODAY paying their dues was nothing like he encountered decades ago.

The 70's wages, take home pay, cost of housing and property taxes when todays veteran drivers started out made trucking a good job and for a young guy to start off making good money young in life and than pay off the house with post inflation dollars yeah it works out great for HIM.

The joy of the open road, cross bronx expressway

the sunsets, right in your eyes.

truckers know the good places to eat, is the parking lot big enough

driver pull around back, ugh

40'
42'
45'
48'
53'
is the world getting bigger

Broadway Yonkers NY
Hi lady I have a truck bigger than your store full of lightbulbs with your name on them, what are you going to do with them ?
Oh back a truck from canada up to mine and transfer the load on the street and resell them to a place in canada, another wonderful day.

The joy of the open road, cross bronx expressway

the sunsets, right in your eyes.

truckers know the good places to eat, is the parking lot big enough

driver pull around back, ugh

40'
42'
45'
48'
53'
is the world getting bigger

Broadway Yonkers NY
Hi lady I have a truck bigger than your store full of lightbulbs with your name on them, what are you going to do with them ?
Oh back a truck from canada up to mine and transfer the load on the street and resell them to a place in canada, another wonderful day.

Yonkers used to be my p&d route, who is the customer you are talking about?

I couldn"t agree with you more. I would still be trucking if YRC didn't destroy the job I had. All good things come to an end.

Yonkers used to be my p&d route, who is the customer you are talking about?

It was a long time ago, not that I would have remembered a week later the name of the place.

McLean to Broadway, go right, a few doors down on the right. We went down the road a few blocks, took a left and another left onto some wide road near a church I think to transfer the load.