Central Transport | why new drivers are leaving

vijax

TB Lurker
Credits
we had a city driver leave two weeks ago. he was a good worker. i asked him why he was leaving. this is what he said. ive been here a little over six months and just got my health coverage. i started at $17.25 an hour. they keep me at 40 hours a week and sometimes less when they give me a forced day off. thats $690.00 gross a week. after taxes and now health insurance ,he has the family plan, i clear $380 a week. gas to and from work is $50 a week to fill my tank. i drive equipment that shouldnt be on the road. told to go home if i dont want to drive it. i have no handtruck or palletjack to do my job. im constantly cussed out because of damaged and late freight. theres no future here. they dont even put in for retirement or give you a cost of living raise.now im expected to load and unload my truck plus linehauls trucks. why do you think im leaving. last thing he said to me, i got a job at saia. does this sound famaliar?

and as Vitran loses more accounts, someone has to pick them up, so those other companies will be looking for more drivers (let's just hope they are more selective than Vitran)

we had a city driver leave two weeks ago. he was a good worker. i asked him why he was leaving. this is what he said. ive been here a little over six months and just got my health coverage. i started at $17.25 an hour. they keep me at 40 hours a week and sometimes less when they give me a forced day off. thats $690.00 gross a week. after taxes and now health insurance ,he has the family plan, i clear $380 a week. gas to and from work is $50 a week to fill my tank. i drive equipment that shouldnt be on the road. told to go home if i dont want to drive it. i have no handtruck or palletjack to do my job. im constantly cussed out because of damaged and late freight. theres no future here. they dont even put in for retirement or give you a cost of living raise.now im expected to load and unload my truck plus linehauls trucks. why do you think im leaving. last thing he said to me, i got a job at saia. does this sound famaliar?
And people wonder why there is so much turnover.

The mass exodus continues.

As spring quickly approaches other outfits are hiring, greener pastures begin to open. Vitran has salted it's own dirt and wonders why nothing grows.

Recently at my terminal we have begun to lose supervisors and managment. Now instead of hiring from within or even posting those jobs as available, they are bringing in more FXF people. (Think they took lesson on cronyism from the politicians of Chicago.)

Might as well call this place FedEx Lite; same name, half the service.

I wish I knew!!! I think we all say that. Glad to see they knew. Hopeful I can see things change. Keep up putting up. You are not the only one on the plane.

Recently at my terminal we have begun to lose supervisors and managment. Now instead of hiring from within or even posting those jobs as available, they are bringing in more FXF people. (Think they took lesson on cronyism from the politicians of Chicago.)

Dock Man,

you are full of pithy comments today, love it for sure! "salted its own dirt", "FedEx Lite same name half the service" Keep em coming Bro.

NHuJ8.gif

thats funny lmao

sounds just like us at holland,all one in the same. I can't fathom that after all we are going thru that we are still open. I have been here 20 years and cant believe our management procedures.they don't have a clue and everyone passes the buck.if this dump holland can keep pulling rabbits out of their hats,I'm sure you guys will weather your storm. Most of our equipment should not be on the road either for that matter.it's all wore out junk.

See guys it goes on everywhere, some more than others...I can hear us saying however at least they are making money...And yes perhaps thats true, but at the end of the day as long as your check keeps clearly the bank dose it really matter. We shouldn't get caught up in the what if's.....We could be dead tomorrow crossing the street....One day at a time brothers...Just one day at a time.

That $1000 sign on bonus should help....lets see work for vitran accident free 1 year and get $1000....work for Vitran for 20 years accident free and you get $0. Seems fair enough.

Very fair big larry-plus they coddle the new drivers while throwing the old ones out-that is one of the reasons that I left-PJAX had a finder bonus back in the day-I got three people hired and only got the bonus for one, because the first 2 did nto mention me in the interview.