New Penn | Why new penn teamsters should vote yes

Jilley

TB Lurker
Credits
New Penn teamsters have listed many reasons why they voted NO. Now I would like to list the #1 reason why I feel they should be voting YES in the re-vote.
Nobody knew what the result of a NO vote would be when we first cast our ballots for the second relief plan. Now YRCW has made their intentions known, a C.O.O. merging New Penn into YRC. Weather it's a dovetail, or an endtail, nobody knows, the C.O.O. committee will decide that. But lets just say that it's a dovetail. Then imagine you are fortunate enough to hold a spot on YRC's seniority list. The very best case senario that you can hope for is that you go to work for YRC with the concessions that would have been voted down at New Penn. That I believe is the @1 reason to vote YES.
We all know that this situation stinks, but don't let your frustration cloud the obvious, the only logical choice is to vote YES.

Vote it down again'

You still believe what they're telling you? Yes, they will make New Penn part of YRC, they're going to do either way.
Voting yes isn't going to change their plans, so show some stones and vote it down again-as a matter of principle

NMFA Contract Article 5. Sec 4. paragraph b
Highest Rates Prevail
If the minimum wage, hours and working conditions in the company absorbed differ from those minimums set forthin this agreement and supplements thereto, the higher of the two shall remain in effect for the employees so absorbed.

Here is my understanding of that language, anyone can chime in and disagree or prove me wrong if you want. If we vote yes, we get the concessions and could still possibly be merged (absorbed) into yrc... If we vote no, we keep our current rates and pension and just possibly yrc won't do ::shit:: ..but if they do merge (absorb) us into yrc we still keep our current rates.. if this language is how I read it, then what reason would anyone vote yes???

a few pros and cons:

If I vote yes

1) I don't lose my job at New penn in the near future.

2) Voting yes helps along that glimmer of hope that we'll all pull through this downturn, no matter who we work for. My yes vote doesn't guarantee that, but it increases the the chances.

3) If I vote yes, it's my own decision and it means I'm a real man with balls.

If I vote no

1) I help increase the chance that I'll be out of work or on call for night time dock work maybe once a week at YRC when the cold, cold weather gets here.

2) I'll save face and live up to the legend that I am...a real man with balls who stood my ground in one final act of defiance against the forces of evil in YRC management. I'll go down standing up....and a year from now, no one will remember or care. Heros are a dime a dozen these days.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. A year ago I never would have thought any of this would be the way it is, but it IS what it is. No one likes it, but there's still a glimmer of hope for survival , and I think it's best we take that and go with it, rather than ***** and moan and make wrong decisions. Nothing will be gained or accomplished here by voting no, and that's the truth of the situation. Voting yes doesn't mean we're weak, it means we're strong....our intelligence being part of that strength made up of mind, body, and spirit.
History repeats itself, so if there's concern about wages and pension, keep in mind that if and when the economy booms again and everyone is making money hand over fist, we'll all share the wealth like we did not so long ago. And you can take that to the bank.

newpenn107 that point was brought up at our recent union meeting, and was brushed aside. I don't think the union wants to fight for the contract any more. Sad, very sad

Highest Rates Prevail
If the minimum wage, hours and working conditions in the company absorbed differ from those minimums set forthin this agreement and supplements thereto, the higher of the two shall remain in effect for the employees so absorbed.

Here is my understanding of that language, anyone can chime in and disagree or prove me wrong if you want. If we vote yes, we get the concessions and could still possibly be merged (absorbed) into yrc... If we vote no, we keep our current rates and pension and just possibly yrc won't do ::shit:: ..but if they do merge (absorb) us into yrc we still keep our current rates.. if this language is how I read it, then what reason would anyone vote yes???
107 if we are merged into yrc most of us wont work so the higher rate wont matter . I beliieve they will endtail us since yrc bought us.

107 if we are merged into yrc most of us wont work so the higher rate wont matter . I beliieve they will endtail us since yrc bought us.

Thats true about alot of guys not working. But if its a merger it will be dovetail. The contract calls for a dovetail. And you know you can't change the contract... :biglaugh:

Thats true about alot of guys not working. But if its a merger it will be dovetail. The contract calls for a dovetail. And you know you can't change the contract... :biglaugh:
Dont no about that they may just find one of those so called grey areas in the contract.I guess we will find out soon enough.

I asked that Question on the higher rate at the meeting 107 and the pres stated that the higher rate would not prevail.You were there and heard that too.

My god do you think YRC will pay us more then they pay Yellow and Roadway! Are you that dumb? The only chance we have is to vote YES! I'm high enough on the list I will work at YRC but unlike some of you I know by going there I will work for the 15% less. Why would I vote no then go to work for what I voted no for! Doesn't make any sense!

The other reason to vote yes is because we still have our medical for free. I don't see any jobs where I will make $20 per hour with free medical plus my 5 weeks vacation and 5 sick day's and my personal day's.

Yea your right this sucks Vote yes and fight another day, or vote no and die.

Highest Rates Prevail

And what if they shut us down nothing prevails. Its just sucks that we have to fight about this ::shit::. We are all in the boat together and its sinking fast. Good Luck everyone.

And what if they shut us down nothing prevails. Its just sucks that we have to fight about this ::shit::. We are all in the boat together and its sinking fast. Good Luck everyone.

Shut down equals Pension Liability. Merger equals no Pension Liability. They can't afford the Pension Liability....

You still believe what they're telling you? Yes, they will make New Penn part of YRC, they're going to do either way.
Voting yes isn't going to change their plans, so show some stones and vote it down again-as a matter of principle
I saw a letter from YRC to Steve G today stating that YRC does not want to merge. They want to keep the New Penn brand and if we vote yes YRC will stop discussions with the IBT about any plans of merging YRC and New Penn.................I'm voting Yes. No makes no sense anyway. More than 2000 New Penn drivers need this. 30,000 other teamsters need it also. No means giving up. Yes means taking a gamble and moving forward hoping for the best.There is absolutely nothing to gain from a NO vote. You won't get your pension. You won't get 5% more than the YRC guys. THEN if it is no again we will be shut down or merged. They need us to vote yes or their whole bank deal could be jeapordised and over 30,000 families will have to pay the price. No it's not our fault but this is the way it is. It's not just your life that is affected by this vote.

My god do you think YRC will pay us more then they pay Yellow and Roadway! Are you that dumb? The only chance we have is to vote YES! I'm high enough on the list I will work at YRC but unlike some of you I know by going there I will work for the 15% less. Why would I vote no then go to work for what I voted no for! Doesn't make any sense!

The other reason to vote yes is because we still have our medical for free. I don't see any jobs where I will make $20 per hour with free medical plus my 5 weeks vacation and 5 sick day's and my personal day's.

Yea your right this sucks Vote yes and fight another day, or vote no and die.
You're absolutely right. They're not really fighters. Their quitters. I don't think unions are for sinking companies. With no company there is no union So to go against that is just absolute insanity. There is no logic. Nothing to be gained.It's one thing if you gain something. But the individual "no" voter gains nothing. And if there are enough that gain nothing so to shall all of YRC's employees be one step closer to losing it all. It's not a union atitude...It's a selfish attitude. It's not 1975 when you could take the risk and go to 1 of a hundred other union LTL's. Their all gone. This is it. I don't think they want to be teamster's anymore. So why they're here,I have no idea.

All the language in the Master calls for "dovetail "there is nothing about end tailing, please read the NMFA regarding Mergers. Please do don't be bullied into changing the vote.

If all the people that went before you thought like you you would not have 5 weeks vacation, no medical, no sick days. NOTHING some time you must take a stand (if you don't stand for something you fall for anything). You have become fat and soft on the backs of your brothers. Next how about putting some fuel in the truck for them. Please rethink your vote.

If all the people that went before you thought like you you would not have 5 weeks vacation, no medical, no sick days. NOTHING some time you must take a stand (if you don't stand for something you fall for anything). You have become fat and soft on the backs of your brothers. Next how about putting some fuel in the truck for them. Please rethink your vote.
And if I stand just to prove a point, I am a fool. This is not the 1960' and 1970's. This is terrible economic conditions. You've seen how many places shut down in your lifetime? The gamble has the odds in YRC's favor today. Until union membership numbers increase. They will shut us down and/or merge us if we vote no. The union told us that. The company told us that. There is no question. A no vote is foolish,period. If you can't handle them taking stuff from you now, it would be my bet that you'll end up in the nuthouse,within 5 years after closing YRC/New Penn with your standing for something. The non-unions are all that's left. How will you possibly handle it there? I also saw the letter stating that discussiions on a merge will be discontinued upon recieving a yes vote....It was on our time cards at 02.

When it comes down to it, yrc is gona do what they wont with us anyway. What that is, who knows, the fact is what ever the vote is, we are all going to have to live with it. Yes vs. no . The customer base has been hurt enouph that it really dosn't matter.