Central Transport | Why no payscale?

Random Driver

TB Lurker
Credits
Why is Vitran the ONLY company out there without an official payscale. Seems all the others are on a three-year plan. It would help the senoir employees and the newer employees as well.

Just heard Central is paying 3,000 sign on bonuses in Nashville, Allentown and Cleveland. They have a pay scale. What is going on over there??????

Vitran has no pay scale because of the pay freeze. Even if we had a pay scale the pay freeze would stop the scale. Vitran is not concerned with "helping". That is not why they are in business.

The pay freeze, in my opinion, will end when Vitran gets serious about having top notch drivers. The weeds will be pulled and replaced with drivers with good records. When the market dictates more pay for good drivers Vitran will increase pay to a level that will attract the type of drivers they want.

Vitran has no pay scale because of the pay freeze. Even if we had a pay scale the pay freeze would stop the scale. Vitran is not concerned with "helping". That is not why they are in business.

The pay freeze, in my opinion, will end when Vitran gets serious about having top notch drivers. The weeds will be pulled and replaced with drivers with good records. When the market dictates more pay for good drivers Vitran will increase pay to a level that will attract the type of drivers they want.

There is no money for anyone's pay raises at this time or anytime in the near future, that was made clear on the company wide conference call yesterday. Get used to it.

I would give anything to know how much CK makes per year ( well almost )....I know on average, a supervisor is around 55 to 60.....I wonder what a TM makes in a big city? Would you think CK is around 400k? I know its off topic but thats never stopped me before....But it seems to me that if hes making a great deal they could afford to do a little better than they are....I know they can't release that pay freeze all at once but I think they could do a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:

vitran just keeps on hiring new drivers. they get a chargeable and get suspended. Again a money loss. Your right no pay scale,just a pay FREEZE!!!!

I would give anything to know how much CK makes per year ( well almost )....I know on average, a supervisor is around 55 to 60.....I wonder what a TM makes in a big city? Would you think CK is around 400k? I know its off topic but thats never stopped me before....But it seems to me that if hes making a great deal they could afford to do a little better than they are....I know they can't release that pay freeze all at once but I think they could do a little better.

Some big city terminal managers in the PJAX era did break six figures barely, most of them are gone now. The Corporate VP of Sales makes $5200.00 per week ($270,400) so I would have to guess that CK makes at least 400K plus other goodies like stock options and performance incentives.

Some big city terminal managers in the PJAX era did break six figures barely, most of them are gone now. The Corporate VP of Sales makes $5200.00 per week ($270,400) so I would have to guess that CK makes at least 400K plus other goodies like stock options and performance incentives.

and the scream if a driver makes even close to 80

There is no money for anyone's pay raises at this time or anytime in the near future, that was made clear on the company wide conference call yesterday. Get used to it.

Yep, each company has to choose where to invest. There is money for Fed Ex management, new equipement, technology etc. Drivers are just not part of Vitran's plan right now.

Vitran did away with the "pay scale" long before the pay freeze happened. When we (pjax) became part of vitran, there were so many different companies-vitran,pjax,overland,quast,chris,and sierra west all making different wages. Not to mention different wages at different cities for drivers within the same company. Man, I think my head is gonna EXPLODE!!!

But, yes, I agree with you about top notch drivers. We are desperate for drivers, but there is nothing left in the "bottom of the barrel". All of those drivers have already come and gone at our terminal...now what?

I'm sure he's loaded, dude! Especially if he was heavily invested in options before our stock went up to $7. Here is some info I found at salary.com:

salary.png

ya...not gonna attract high quality drivers when most other ltl companies are starting their dock workers at a higher rate that vitran pays a class A cdl driver.

There was a meeting recently and one of the topics that came up was the high turn-over rate. I really don't understand why this is such a big surprise to anyone,

You only hire part-time, pay them $11 an hour, the chance to go full-time is slim to none, zero respect, and no raise anytime in the foreseeable future. I just can't understand why we cannot fill these positions with good people.

In my opinion compensation for drivers, dock workers and mechanics is one of the biggest issues for Vitran to overcome.

Vitran has made the choice, (it is a choice) not to increase pay for these three types of workers while at the same time relying on them more than ever. A lot of old timers will stay because they are topped out or too lazy to move on. However, if the company does grow it will be hard to maintain a stable workforce.

Without a stable and content workforce good luck with safety, efficiency, OSD, and being on time.

I am not being critical of their choice, but its very tough for management to get done what needs done when employees have little to lose by getting fired or quiting.

just a opinion in a Trucking company you need truck drivers,dockworkers, and mechanics. can"t see 10 supervisors. per terminal. pay them accordingly you might get productivity.... just my opinion.

and now they want to avoid overtime. so even the good employess who want to work hard and earn a living by cranking out some serious hours cant even build a decent paycheck that way anymore.
low hourly pay + no overtime + no raises + no help with 401k = a workforce that doesnt really give a **** about "chasing greatness".

it would be nice to get all drivers a week behind on pay, instead of old pjax driver having two week and vitran having one.

:Off-Topic:I know this is a odd question but I need clarification....The use of the apostrophe....Is it used to form plurals of proper words. So as in banana's or apple's this would be incorrect...Right? ie.... Where's your keys? Would that be correct? The use of an apostrophe is used to indicate possession....So at times it becomes confusing for this ole timer??? Please advise.