XPO | Why Not Go Paperless?

drivin4truthnow

TB Lurker
Credits
Today, a bit over three years ago the former Conway has become Xpo Logistics. To this end the begging question "Why not go paperless?" needs to be answered. Redundancy with L/H payroll, DRs, reports and the like are an aching inconvenience. Now with this being said, I must say that the handhelds have improved but, with every step forward it seems that XPO likes to take 2 steps back. Has anyone experienced the damage process in the field? Good grief! Take pictures, call in and wait for an exception number, answer multiple questions and then write a total description of what you just stated on the phone and so on. Talk about a slowed process. How about that linehaul pay sheet redundancy? Hitting an old school time clock even though the handheld technology tracks the tasks being performed real time. With all the boasting about our IT team the aching question is still "Why Not Go Paperless" in more aspects of the job? Can we please move forward with paperless delivery confirmation instead of a signed DR and then the REDUNDANCY of typing names and confirming deliveries for each stop on the hand held? Ugh! Just a bit inquisitive as to why advancement in technology seems to be moving slowly in XPO LTL and "Why Not Go Paperless?"

The plan is to end the pay sheets on linehaul 2019.

Also , with GPS , why is anyone being paid zip code to zip code. Shouldn't the pay be based on the actual miles driven?

For that matter , shouldn't city P&D drivers have their million mile awards based on actual miles instead of hours worked?

Today, a bit over three years ago the former Conway has become Xpo Logistics. To this end the begging question "Why not go paperless?" needs to be answered. Redundancy with L/H payroll, DRs, reports and the like are an aching inconvenience. Now with this being said, I must say that the handhelds have improved but, with every step forward it seems that XPO likes to take 2 steps back. Has anyone experienced the damage process in the field? Good grief! Take pictures, call in and wait for an exception number, answer multiple questions and then write a total description of what you just stated on the phone and so on. Talk about a slowed process. How about that linehaul pay sheet redundancy? Hitting an old school time clock even though the handheld technology tracks the tasks being performed real time. With all the boasting about our IT team the aching question is still "Why Not Go Paperless" in more aspects of the job? Can we please move forward with paperless delivery confirmation instead of a signed DR and then the REDUNDANCY of typing names and confirming deliveries for each stop on the hand held? Ugh! Just a bit inquisitive as to why advancement in technology seems to be moving slowly in XPO LTL and "Why Not Go Paperless?"
As for the LH end. I like having the paper its proof when they short my check. My pay is figured off of that time sheet. I only have to punch the clock at the being for my shift and at the end all the other times I just write in. That changed over a year and a half ago.
There technology is not that great. You city drivers get paid punch to punch. If the handhelds system goes down then my check all f'ed up and I have to wait weeks to get what is owed to me.
I know of some company that still want paper DR and per FMCSA you will still need all the paperwork with hazmat shipments. So as of right now going 100% paperless will not happen

The plan is to end the pay sheets on linehaul 2019.

Also , with GPS , why is anyone being paid zip code to zip code. Shouldn't the pay be based on the actual miles driven?

For that matter , shouldn't city P&D drivers have their million mile awards based on actual miles instead of hours worked?
I don't know about your LH miles but if I drive the route they tell me to take the mileage is dead on. I have even check it on google.

Just a bit inquisitive as to why advancement in technology seems to be moving slowly in XPO LTL and "Why Not Go Paperless?"

I'm sure XPO is well aware of the benefits and would like to do it yesterday. The technology exists, so there must be other issues with rolling it out- I'm sure the delay is NOT because XPO doesn't realize they can improve efficiency.

I think it should be paid terminal to terminal via GPS, but set the miles for the run- don't just pay what we drive each night, that would be a mess.

I don't think that's fair to the P&D drivers, especially in the big cities. If we're going to be that picky about it, city drivers that pull a long box shouldn't get jackets with a set embroidered on the back.

I think it should be paid terminal to terminal via GPS, but set the miles for the run- don't just pay what we drive each night, that would be a mess.

I don't think that's fair to the P&D drivers, especially in the big cities. If we're going to be that picky about it, city drivers that pull a long box shouldn't get jackets with a set embroidered on the back.
It would not be fair for city drivers to get awards based on hours. Road drivers go from point a to point b wheeled away’s turning, city driver might be backing down an alley to deliver a 400lbs treadmill into someone’s house avoiding low wires & whatever obstacle they might face at that stop. Where you might be tied up for a half hour or more, where the wheels arn’t turning....As far as what they embroider on the Bach of the jacket, at ABF city drivers multi task from sets to long boxe’s to a single pup on a daily basis....

It would not be fair for city drivers to get awards based on hours. Road drivers go from point a to point b wheeled away’s turning, city driver might be backing down an alley to deliver a 400lbs treadmill into someone’s house avoiding low wires & whatever obstacle they might face at that stop.

It's a safety award- so there should be a similar amount of risk in the accomplishment. 400 miles in linehaul and 400 miles in the city are not similar amounts of risk for the reasons you mentioned. That's why there's a conversion.

And I know city drivers pull different combinations- the point was that it's needlessly pedantic.

As for the LH end. I like having the paper its proof when they short my check. My pay is figured off of that time sheet. I only have to punch the clock at the being for my shift and at the end all the other times I just write in. That changed over a year and a half ago.
There technology is not that great. You city drivers get paid punch to punch. If the handhelds system goes down then my check all f'ed up and I have to wait weeks to get what is owed to me.
I know of some company that still want paper DR and per FMCSA you will still need all the paperwork with hazmat shipments. So as of right now going 100% paperless will not happen
And cross border shipments as well.

It's a safety award- so there should be a similar amount of risk in the accomplishment. 400 miles in linehaul and 400 miles in the city are not similar amounts of risk for the reasons you mentioned. That's why there's a conversion.

And I know city drivers pull different combinations- the point was that it's needlessly pedantic.
How do you figure there is no risk in the city? Do you think city drivers don’t use the same interstate’s as a road driver does, or maybe you think the lane & a half wide rural road that we have to go on is much safer & without a doubt the first one plowed. And how you used the word “pedantic “ mr. Truck driver, I’m not seeing how that fits. Unless you’re that anal about what the company puts on a saftey award....And I think you are....

How do you figure there is no risk in the city?

I didn't say that, or anything like that. I think a city driver deals with more risk in 400 miles than a road driver does in 400 miles. So I'm okay with an hours to miles conversion for the city. The last driver I know that got a city MM award still took about 2 years longer than the typical LH guy.

You seem to have missed the metaphor with the jacket, so I'll be more straightforward. I think it's petty to complain about city drivers not actually rolling a million miles.

I agree with having a paper trail particularly since the takeover. Bunch of guys still not being paid correctly. At least till they get there crap together in payroll. Would be nice to save some trees and cut out redundancies

I didn't say that, or anything like that. I think a city driver deals with more risk in 400 miles than a road driver does in 400 miles. So I'm okay with an hours to miles conversion for the city. The last driver I know that got a city MM award still took about 2 years longer than the typical LH guy.

You seem to have missed the metaphor with the jacket, so I'll be more straightforward. I think it's petty to complain about city drivers not actually rolling a million miles.
See we agree on something

gWoSbRt.jpg

Exception numbers? We stopped that 7 years ago.
At XPO ( in my neck of the woods ) an exception number is something that P&D drivers are supposed to call in and get from one of the office types. Apparently this was recently resumed. I am not sure everyone knows that it is supposed to be done and I don't think those that know about this always do it. And , I have never heard of any repercussions for not doing this.

It's redundant and I can't understand what is gained by interrupting someone in the office to document something that the handheld , the driver , and the delivery receipt already make note of.

P.S. Somewhere north of $65 million in damages.